James McLeish




JAMES McLEISH
_________________


JAMES McLEISH, who is now living retired in the city of Steubenville, O., to which place he came in August, 1848, enjoys the comforts of a beautiful home which is situated at No. 247 South Seventh Street. He was born in Scotland, October 15, 1839. Mr. McLeish accompanied his parents when they came to America in 1842. They located first near Pittsburgh, Pa., later moving to Columbiana County, Ohio, and then before coming to Steubenville, stopping for a time at Martin's Ferry, where the father engaged in the manufacture of wool. In his father's factory Mr. McLeish proudly earned his first ten cents, but as he showed an aptitude for foundry rather than factory work, he was permitted, when ten years old to become an employee of W. L. Sharp, with whom he remained until 1863. After that he worked in different places, a part of the time at Pittsburgh. On February 14, 1865, he entered the Means foundry at Steubenville, where he continued until July, 1892, when he retired from active business life. It is not often that success in life along any line is accidental, it must be attained except in exceptional cases, by hard work and a measure of good judgment and Mr. McLeish has attained independence in this way. He is one of Steubenville's most respected citizens. On September 23, 1869, Mr. McLeish was married to Miss Louisa Yocum, who died March 7, 1892. Five of their children survive, namely: Charles, residing at Steubenville; George, councilman at large at Steubenville, and Edith, James and Cora. For a half century Mr. McLeish has been a member of the Dock Street Christian Church and has frequently served in official capacities.


 Return to Family Tales  Return to Home Page