James Wherry




JAMES WHERRY
_________________


JAMES WHERRY, postmaster and general merchant at Creswell, Ohio, and a representative citizen of this section, was born in Knox Township, Jefferson County, Ohio, January 26, 1861, and is a son of David and Sophronia (Steele) Wherry.

David Wherry was born in Pennsylvania and came to Jefferson County about 1832, died in Knox Township in 1894. He was a man of property and devoted his land to farming and stock raising. He married Sophronia Steele, who was born at Steubenville, Ohio.

James Wherry attended the schools of Knox Township and remained at home until he was seventeen years of age, since when he has taken care of himself, and takes no little pride in being a self-made man. For several years early in his business career he was in the employ of A. J. Crawford and his brother, farmers and dealers in livestock. In 1880 he embarked in the mercantile business at Skelley Station, on the Pennsylvania line, in Wayne Township, the postoffice being Creswell, and has built up a very large business. He deals in dry goods, groceries, general merchandise, hay, grain and feed, and also conducts a livery and feed stables. In 1907 he was appointed postmaster at Creswell, where a free rural delivery route has been established. He is a very enterprising and practical business man.

Mr. Wherry married Miss Mary E. Miser, a daughter of Samuel R. and Margaret Miser, of Wayne Township, and they have had five children;: Leonora, who is assistant to her father in the Government office; and Elsie M., Virginia M., James V., and Georgie A.

Mr. Wherry is exceedingly public spirited, and it is largely due to his earnest efforts while he was serving as a member of the turnpike board of commissioners, that the free turnpike road was extended in Skelley's Station, he being the first one to circulate a petition for it, and during its construction he continued to serve as a commissioner. He is a Republican in his political views and is a leader in local circles. With his family he belongs to Hayes' Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church in Wayne Township, of which he is a trustee and steward.


 Return to Family Tales  Return to Home Page