JOHN W. LONG, a well known resident of Wayne Township, Jefferson County, Ohio, and a member of its board of trustees, has lived on his valuable farm of 180 acres since 1874, and devoted it to general farming and stock raising. He was born in Cross Creek Township, Jefferson County, September 21, 1845, and is a son of James and Margaret (Armstrong) Long.
James Long was born in Cross Creek Township after his father, John Long had established the family home there, and spent the remainder of his life in the same section. He carried on farming and was a man of excellent standing, one who gave support to the schools and the church and was a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal body and a class leader. He married Margaret Armstrong and of their children the following survive: Mary A., living in Cross Creek Township; Jennie, wife of Eli Kirk, of Cross Creek Township; Sarah E., widow of Brice Gruber, residing in Cross Creek Township; Margaret L., of Cross Creek Township; John W., of Cross Creek Township; Susanna (Mansfield) of Wayne Township; James T., Maria C. and David S., all living in Cross Creek Township; and Ida M., the youngest of the family, died at the age of nine months.
John W. Long remained on his father's farm until he reached manhood and gained his book education in the public schools. On March 24, 1884 he was married to Miss Ada C. Mansfield, a daughter of Edward and Mary Mansfield, who formerly were residents of Jefferson County. Mrs. Long has three brothers and one sister: Reason P. and Nimrod P., of Wayne Township; Ross J., of Los Angeles, Cal.; and Annie E., who is the widow of Martin's Ferry, resides in Wayne Township.
To John W. Long and wife six children have been born, namely: Edward C., who lives at Philadelphia, Pa.; James E. and Wilbur M., both of whom reside in Wayne Township; Charles W., who is a traveling salesman for Bailey, Farrell & Co., of Pittsburgh; and Nina F. and Mary M., both of whom live with her parents in Wayne Township. Mr. Long and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a Republican in his political views and served for two years as an assessor of Bloomfield Precinct, Wayne Township. In the fall of 1909 he was elected a trustee of Wayne Township and entered upon his official duties in January, 1910, to serve two years. During the Civil War, when the call was made for 100 day men, Mr. Long responded, although at that time his private affairs needed his attention, but he felt in that course lay the path of duty. He remained in the army until near the close of the war, being mainly on guard service at Fort Delaware, and was then honorably discharged. He is a valued member of the G. A. R. Post at Smithfield. He is more than usually public spirited and is one of the wide awake, progressive men who are willing to work in their township for the general welfare. He is an urgent advocate of the turnpike roads.