MRS. MARGARET FRAZIER, who with her sons, conducts the well known homelike hostelry, the McNeal Hotel, at Mingo Junction, Ohio, is one of the best known and most highly respected ladies of this place. Mrs. Frazier was born in the town of Cardiff, Wales, March 1, 1853, and is a daughter of David and Mary (Davis) Davis.
David Davis was a competent mill worker, beginning in boyhood and becoming a heater, puddler and roller. In 1863 he brought his family to America, and for the first three years they lived at Mt. Savage, Pa., and from there moved to a farm in Preston County, West VIrginia. Five years were spent there and then Mr. Davis removed to Cairo, Ill, where he died, in 1877, at the age of forty-eight years. His widow survived him a long time, her death taking place at the home of her only son, David Davis, at Mingo Junction. There were eight children in the family, Margaret being the eldest. The others were: Mary Jane, who is the wife of James Brooks, of New Castle, Pa; Ruth, now deceased, who was the wife of Benton Fell, of New Alexandria; Naomi, a twin sister to Ruth, who died aged four months; David, who resides at Chicago, Ill.; Sarah Ann, who married Clarence Rine, of Kentucky; and two children, both bearing the name of Benjamin, died young.
Mrs. Frazier was ten years old when the family came to America and easily recalls the long voyage of sixteen days on the ocean. She remained at home with her parents until her marriage, which took place at Cairo, Ill., to William Frazier, and to their marriage six children were born, namely: Minnie, who married Garfield Gilgrist, of Columbus, Ohio, and has six children--Florence E., Thomas A., Carl V., Robert Randell, Emily B. and Forest M.; Harry W., living in Steubenville, who married Mary Jane Bates, and has one child, Margaret; Blanche, who married George Simmons, of Mingo Junction, and has two children--Harland and Minnie; George J.; Sarah Ella, who married Carl Trig, and resides at Mingo Junction; and Benjamin H.
In May following their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Frazier came to Mingo Junction, where he secured work in the mill, and she added to the family income by keeping boarders. From this she drifted into the restaurant business and for years, with her sons, conducted the Home Restaurant at Mingo Junction. It prospered because it justified its name. FInally Mrs. Frazier and sons decided to go into the hotel business and after selling out their restaurant to Thomas Hughes, they took charge of the McNeal Hotel, in October, 1909. This is a convenient, well appointed house, with twenty-five sleeping rooms and a commodious dining room, parlor, office and kitchen, all of which are fitted up according to modern demands. Mrs. Frazier charges from one dollar a day upward, according to location of apartments, baths, etc. While she has found it profitable to cater to railroad men to a large degree, her patronage is by no means confined to them. She has never operated a bar in any of her business enterprises, but has provided comforts of all kinds and keeps a table unexcelled for good, wholesome food. She owns valuable real estate at Mingo Junction. Mrs. Frazier is a capable woman and has proved her efficiency in everything she has undertaken. She is beloved by her family and is held in the highest esteem by all who know her. For a number of years she has been identified with the W. C. T. U. at Mingo Junction and is a valued member of the Free Methodist church at the same place.