M. L. MILLER, one of Steubenville's most respected citizen's, who occupies his pleasant home at No. 226 North Street, came to this city away back in 1854 and has ever since been prominently identified with the leading interests of the place. He was born in Washington County, Pa., on the Beaver County line, July 2, 1830.
Mr. Miller was reared in his native place and was educated at Beaver and Washington College. He came to Steubenville in 1854 to engage in the drug business, having prepared for the same at Pittsburgh, Pa., and continued in this line for forty years, during fifteen of these being both in the wholesale and retail trade. When he retired he was succeeded by the firm of Beall & Steele. After a period of rest, Mr. Miller became interested in fruit growing and was one of the pioneers in strawberry culture in this section. Later he purchased a retail drug store from his brother and continued that for eighteen years and then sold out and started a seed store which he conducted until he was appointed postmaster by President McKinley and was re-appointed by President Roosevelt. He served as postmaster of Steubenville for eight years and one month and was a popular and efficient public officer.
On December 17, 1857, Mr. Miller was married to Miss Eliza A. McDonald, who died in 1893. She was a daughter of Judge William McDonald. To this marriage the following children were born: William McD., a prominent citizen of Steubenville; L.A., residing at Los Angeles, Cal.; Frank E., a resident of Pittsburgh; Nelson D., a leading attorney of Steubenville; Olive, wife of William M. Ewing, of Beaver Falls, Pa.; and Mary, now deceased, who was the wife of John E. McClinton. Mr. Miller is a member of the First Presbyterian Church and for thirty years has been a member of the Session.