ROBERT L. BROWNLEE, who belongs to Steubenville's large colony of substantial retired citizens, resides in his comfortable residence at No. 539 Sixth Avenue. He was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, July 22, 1835, and is a son of W. T. Brownlee.
Mr. Brownlee was reared and educated in Washington County, attending Washington College. In 1867 he came to Steubenville and embarked in the wholesale grocery business in partnership with J. W. Lippincott, under the style of Lippencott & Brownlee, which was continued after W. F. Davidson was later admitted to the firm. After remaining in the grocery business for fourteen years, Mr. Brownlee turned his attention in another direction, starting the Ohio Valley Clay Company, with which he was connected for two years. He then became president of the Jefferson National Bank and continued as such until the bank's charter ran out. When the Steubenville National Bank was organized he became president of that institution and remained so until the expiration of the charter, when the bank interests were purchased by the National Exchange Bank. Since then Mr. Brownlee served for four and one-half years on the board of public service. He is financially interested as a stockholder in the Ohio Valley Clay Company, the National Exchange Bank and the People's National Bank. During a long and busy life he has also found time to take note of the pressing needs of the city at different times and has given time and means to aid movements for the betterment of conditions.
Mr. Brownlee was married September 30, 1857, to Miss Elizabeth J. Davidson. They are members of the Steubenville United Presbyterian Church and he has long been a member of its session.