Samuel D. Hunter




SAMUEL D. HUNTER
_________________


SAMUEL D. HUNTER, a general paint contractor, residing at No. 1502 Ridge Avenue, La Belle View, a beautiful suburb of Steubenville, O., was born in the latter place in July, 1849, and is a son of T. C. Hunter.

T. C. Hunter ws born in Jefferson County, Ohio, and during his entire period of business life, followed the painting trade. He was a representative business man and served in the city council. He married Mary Jane Gamble, who ws born in Cross Creek Township, Jefferson County, Ohio, and they had three children: Mrs. Irene Little, of Steubenville; Samuel D.; and William U., of Bergholz, O. The father of T. C. Hunter was Samuel D. Hunter, who was one of the first sheriffs of Jefferson County and also one of the pioneer glass manufacturers of this section. The Gambles were early settlers in the county also, and the mother of the wife of T. C. Hunter, Mrs. Martha Gamble, was the first white child born in Cross Creek Township.

Samuel D. Hunter bears his grandfather's honored name. He was reared and educated at Steubenville and learned the painter's trade which he has followed ever since, doing a large business in contract painting. He takes a good citizen's interest in politics and was eloected on the Republican ticket to membership in the city council, in which he served for four years and eight months.

Mr. Hunter was married in July, 1880, to Miss Elizabeth Buchanan, who was born in West Virginia but was reared in Jefferson County, and they have three children: Mary J., who is the wife of Frank Heltman, of La Belle View; Thomas D., who is associated with his father; and Samuel D., who is employed in the office of the Carnegie works at Mingo Junction. Mr. Hunter and family are members of the Second Presbyterian Church, in which he is a trustee. He is a member of the Steubenville Chamber of Commerce and is identified with the order of American Mechanics, the Woodmen and the Knights of the Golden Eagles and is president of the Master Painters' Association at Steubenville.


 Return to Family Tales  Return to Home Page