W. A. HORNER, a member of the well known contact plastering firm of the Horner & Wyatt, of Steubenville, Ohio, was born in Cross Creek Township, Washington County, Pa., June 2, 1851, and is a son of George W. Horner, who was a cooper and carpenter at Steubenville for many years.
In 1859 the parents of W. A. Horner moved to Steubenville. After his school days were over he went to work in the old Jefferson Iron Foundry, after which he learned the plasterer's trade, working with Jacob Ault and Frank Hawkins. He remained at Steubenville until 1878, when he went to New Cumberland, W. Va., from there to Toronto, Ohio, and later to East Liverpool, all the time working at his trade. Subsequently, he returned to Steubenville and has been in business here ever since, and is well known all through the Ohio Valley. For eight years, Mr. Horner has been in partnership with Mr. Wyatt, and the firm of Horner & Wyatt control a large amount of the important plaster contracting in this section. Both are practical men in the business and through their correct estimating, punctuality and use of first class materials, they have gained the entire confidence of the public.
In 1872, Mr. Horner was married to Miss Minerva Ficker, of New Cumberland, W. Va., who died in 1889. Five daughters were born to this marriage: Ida, who is the wife of John Nolan, of Pittsburgh; Laura, who is the wife of David McIlvain, of East Liverpool; Alice, who is the wife of John O'Malley, of West Virginia; Elizabeth, who is the wife of Edward Stevens, of West Virginia; and Edna, who is the wife of Glade Coleman, of East Liverpool.