WILLIAM D. CRAWFORD, vice-president and general manager of the La Belle Iron Works, has been a resident of Steubenville for six years and is an active member of its Chamber of Commerce. He was born at Pittsburgh, Pa., in 1859.
Mr. Crawford was educated in Pittsburgh's excellent public schools, since which time he has been largely identified with the iron industry, entering first the Shoenberg Steel Company offices. When he resigned in 1900 he was general manager of that concern, which was then absorbed by the American Steel & Wire Company. Mr. Crawford went then to Philadelphia and was connected with a steel plant there for four years, when he was offered the positiion of general manager of the La Belle Iron Works and after coming to Steubenville, was elected vice-president of the company. He is additionally interested in other manufacturing plants and his name carries weight in metal circles.
In 1884 Mr. Crawford was married to Miss Dora Louise Single, of Pittsburgh, and they had three sons, all of whom survive their mother, who died in 1894. The eldest son, David L., resides in Steubenville. The other two, Robert Fulton and Joseph L., are in school, the former being a student at Lehigh University, and the latter at Shady Side Academy, Pittsburgh. Mr. Crawford was married secondly in 1904 to Miss Edith A. Cassavant, of Philadelphia. Mrs. Crawford is a member of the Second Presbyterian Church at Steubenville. Mr. Crawford is a Knight Templar Mason, belonging to the Commandery and also to the Mystic Shrine at Pittsburgh. He is identified also with the Steubenville County Club.