WILLIAM FLOTO, whose death occurred December 7, 1905, was a grocer and meat dealer in Steubenville, his business being located in the building he owned on the corner of Dock and Sixth Streets. He was a substantial citizen and a sucessful business man, and built up a well paying business, which now is owned and conducted by his widow and their four sons.
William Floto was born in Germany in 1831, and when nineteen years of age came to the United States, first locating at Wheeling, W. Va. He moved from there to Steubenville, O., and for a time worked at the tailoring trade which he learned in Germany. He subsequently worked for his brother in the shoe business for a period of thirty years, at the end of which time he built a brick business block at the corner of Dock and Sixth Streets, in which he established a grocery and bakery shop. There he continued sucessfully until his death in 1905.
In 1860 Mr. Floto was married to Miss Lena Bherns, who was born in Germany and was fourteen years of age when she accompanied her parents to the United States, her father, Henry Bherns, settling near Wheeling, W. Va., where he later died. Mr. and Mrs. Floto became the parents of six children, as follows: Minnie, wife of Edward Probert, of Moscow, W. Va.; Augusta, wife of William Probert, of North Fifth Street, Steubenville; Albert; William Floto, who in 1897 was married to Miss Lulu Maple, of Steubenville; Edward; and Theodore. The four sons assist their mother in the business and are meeting with much success. William Floto is affiliated with the Knights of Maccabees; Albert is a member of the German Turners Society; and Edward is a member of Steubenville Lodge, No. 35, K. P. Religiously, all the members of this family are members of the Zion German Lutheran Church.