W. H. FERRY, proprietor of one of the leading furniture establishments of Jefferson County, Ohio, has been a resident of Steubenville for twenty-seven years, and during this time has built up a business from humble beginnings into one that exceeds almost every other of its kind in this section. He was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, December 3, 1840, and was there reared and attended school.
As soon as he was old enough, Mr. Ferry went into the railroad service on the old Central Ohio line, beginning at the bottom and working his way up until he became passenger conductor on the Piqua road, running out from Columbus. During the Civil War he was in the army--for a time in the railroad transportation service--but in the fall of 1863 he was attached to the regulars and served thus for six months, being then honorably discharged at Columbus. He is a member of the E. M. Stanton Post, G. A. R., at Steubenville.
After leaving the railroad Mr. Ferry took a little time to look around before he decided to establish himself in the furniture business at Steubenville. He had but a small amount of capital to invest at that time but he was judicious in placing it, as very soon he found his business developing and growing even beyond his expectations. His success was permanent, and in the course of time he took possession of his present fine quarters, at No. 145 N. Fourth Street, where he has salesrooms of 29 by 180 feet, store room 55 by 29 feet and a warehouse in the rear 80 by 80 feet. With such accommodations Mr. Ferry is able to carry a large stock, the value of which runs into many thousands of dollars. He is interested also in oil and gas properties.
In 1863 Mr. Ferry was married to Miss Sarah L. Harper, a daughter of Robert Harper, who was postmaster at Bellaire, Ohio, for more than a dozen years, and they have two daughters, Myra A., who is the wife of D. M. Gruber, and Ella Elizabeth, who is the wife of George P. McCracken. Mr. Ferry is a charter member of the Hamline Methodist Episcopal Church, being on its official board at the present time. He is identified with the Knights of Pythias and the Elks, both at Steubenville.