WILLIAM J. ARCHER, deceased, was engaged in the stone cutting and monument business at Steubenville for many years, and was considered one of the city's solid, substantial and reliable citizens. He was born in London, England, May 29, 1845, and died at Steubenville, O., August 11, 1890. His parents were John and Mary Ann (Hudson) Archer, neither of whom ever left England.
William J. Archer went to school until thirteen years of age, when he was apprenticed to the stone mason and marble cutting trade and by the time he reached manhood was a skillful workman. In 1869 he came to America and worked at his trade in New York City and at Cleveland and Akron, O., before coming to Steubenville, in which city he started his business in 1871. In addition to his marble cutting and masonry work, he engaged also in stone contracting and for a number of years did the contract stone work for much of the important building done here. Examples of the substantial and attractive structures for which he supplied the stone may be found in the Congregational and Episcopal Church edifices, The Steubenville Opera House, the City Hall and numerous stately business blocks.
Mr. Archer was married first in 1867, to Miss Ann Chapman, who accompanied him from England. She died June 8, 1876, and was survived by a daughter. In 1877, Mr. Archer was married secondly to Miss Emma Loretta Elliott, and six children were born to this union: Grace , William E., Edward J., George E., Walter, and Charles H. Two of the sons, William E. and Charles H., carry on the business. Mrs. Archer resides at No. 719 Market Street. She is a member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church at Steubenville, with which her husband was also identified and was junior warden at the time of his death. Mr. Archer sought no political honors but he was a staunch Republican and an interested and earnest citizen in all matters of public moment. He was a Knight Templar Mason and belonged also to the Knights of Pythias and to the Royal Areanum.