WILLIAM J. JONES, president of the Miners' and Merchants' Exchange Bank, at Smithfield, Ohio, is a representative citizen of the town, of which he is a native, having been born here in November, 1841. His parents were Jacob C. and Sarah (Evans) Jones.
Jacob C. Jones and wife were natives also of Jefferson County and both died at Smithfield. The father conducted a tailoring shop for a number of years. They had seven children, namely: Mary, deceased, who was the wife of A. E. Beesford; William Judkins, subject of this sketch; Sophia, deceased, who was the wife of F. McGrew; Anna E., who married William Lee; and Virginia, who married F. P. Young.
William J. Jones attended the public schools at Smithfield and was but a boy when he first became a clerk for Amos Scott, who was a druggist at Smithfield and he remained with him until 1864, when he enlisted in Company F, 57th Ohio Vol. Inf., under Captain Smith. After his period of military service was over he returned to SMithfield and soon afterward, in partnership with John Ong, went into the drug business, under the firm style of Jones & Ong. Later the name became Jones & Bates, when Dr. Bates bought the Ong interest, and latter they bought out Mr. Jones' old employer, Amos Scott, and the two stores were consolidated. Still later, William McKinney bought the Bates interest, when the firm became Jones & McKinney, which then purchased the Henderson & Blakely grocery, at Wellsville, Ohio, and they operated it under the style of Jones, McKinney, & Co., it being under the direct management of a brother-in-law of Mr. Jones. The latter bought also the interest in the old drug business owned by Mr. McKinney. As his business thus expanded, he recognized the need of a suitable building which he later erected, a commodious two-story brick structure and both the drug store and the bank are located conveniently on the first floor. The Miners' and Merchants' Exchange Bank has only been established since September, 1908, but it does a very large business and is numbered with the most important concersn at Smithfield. Its capital stock is $25,000. Interest is paid on time deposits. The officers of the bank are: William J. Jones, president; William Reynard, vice-president; and H. M. Cattell, cashier.
In 1868 Mr. Jones was married to Miss Harriet E. Maxwell, of Mt. Pleasant, and they had one son, Charles J., who is deceased. He married Edna Scott and they had one daughter, Gladys, who belongs in her grandfather's home. In politics Mr. Jones is identified with the Republican party and he has served occassionally in public offices, having been treasurer of Smithfield and also a member of the school board. He belongs to Daniel McCook Post, G. A. R.