WILLIAM M. CHEFFY, a county commissioner of Jefferson County, Ohio, and one of the leading citizens of Smithfield, was born in Wells Township, this county, in 1857, and is a son of Mordecai M. and Lucy (Hogg) Cheffy. The father, a Virginian by birth, came to Ohio when a small boy, settling with his parents on the Beach Flats. He was the second child of a family of seven daughters and five sons, and was a graduate of Allegheny College and a local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church. His wife Lucy was a daughter of George Hogg and was of English ancestry. Her father came to America in 1819, settling at Wheeling, W.Va., where Lucy Hogg Cheffy was born in December, 1823, she being the eldest child of the family of seven daughters and three sons.
William M. Cheffy spent his youth on a farm in Jefferson County, Ohio, where he was engaged in farming for some time, after which he spent seven years in the mercantile business at Mingo Junction, Ohio, and seven years in the grain and stock business at Mt. Pleasant, Ohio. He then operated a hardware store at Smithfield, subsequently disposing of that business in order to assume his duties as county commissioner, to which position he was elected by a large majority in the fall of 1908. Mr. Cheffy has also served five years as trustee of Smithfield Township, and has served on the township central committee of the Republican party, in the interests of which party he has ever been an active worker.
In 1897 Mr. Cheffy was joined in marriage with Martha Barkhurst, who is a daughter of William B. and Rebecca (Moore) Barkhurst, and they have had children, Gladys Virginia and Sarah Elizabeth. Mr. Cheffy is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Smithfield and belongs to its official board. His fraternal connections are with the Knights of Pythias, Alpha Lodge, No. 407, Mt. Pleasant, and the Masonic Lodge, No. 182, of Smithfield.