WILLIAM M. HARTUP, who is a painter by trade and owns a tin shop at Richmond, Ohio, belongs to an old Jefferson County family, his grandfather having settled in Salem Township at an early day. Mr. Hartup was born at Richmond, February 16, 1853, and is a son of James and Elizabeth (Burns) Hartup.
James Hartup was born in Jefferson County, on the old homestead in Salem Township, but after he married he learned the tinner's trade and went into business at Richmond, where he became one of the leading citizens, serving for twenty-three years as postmaster. His death occurred in 1900, at the age of seventy-four years, and his burial was in the Union Cemetery. He married Elizabeth Burns, a daughter of Thomas Burns, and they had three children, all sons, William M., Edgar and Charles. The mother of these children lived to be seventy-four years of age, dying March 29, 1905, and she was laid by the side of her husband, whom she had survived five years. They both were active members of the Methodist Episcopal CHurch, the father being a class leader for years.
William M. Hartup obtained his education in the public schools and at Richmond College and then learned the painter's trade with his uncle, Thomas Burns, and worked for him for twenty years, during this time completing painting contracts all over Jefferson County. He also spent one year in Kansas. When his father died he became the owner of the tin shop and this he has successfully conducted ever since, but still follows his excellent trade. Like his late father he is a Republican, but has never had any political aspirations. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.