W. P. BARNES, who has been a life-long resident of Jefferson County, Ohio is the owner of 229 acres in Salem Township and 135 acres in Springfield Township. He was born May 10, 1840 in Salem Township, a son of J. C. and Sarah (Strayer) Barnes, and is a grandson of Joseph Barnes, a native of Scotland.
J. C. Barnes was born in Salem Township and after attending the subscription schools of that locality, taught one year in the township. He was then clerk in a general store for Mr. Boyd, of Annapolis, O., after which he located on a farm in North Salem Township. After his marriage he resided on the old Strayer farm, then removed to Richland County, where he resided one year, after which he returned to the Strayer farm, where he lived until his death in 1878. In early life he was a Whig and later a Republican. He served as trustee of the township and was for several years supervisor. He and his wife were members of the Luthern Church and were buried at Leas Cemetery. He married Sarah Strayer, who was a daughter of Jacob Strayer, and to them were born; Cyrus; Amos, (was killed in the army); W. P.; Philander; Albert; George, Joshua Samantha, Samuel Ross and T. B. Mrs. Barnes died in 1886.
W. P. Barnes attended the schools of Annapolis, after which he worked on the farm until the beginning of the war, when he enlisted with Co. G, 52nd, Ohio Volunteer Infantry. After the war he returned to Salem Township and has since resided on his present farm, where he has made many improvements. In 1891 he built his residence which is one of the finest in the township or in this part of the country. The barn, which was built in 1899, is as fine as many farm houses, and contains 52 glass windows, which are placed in all four sides of the building. Both buildings have slate roofs with dates of erection, and the roof of the barn has the name W. P. Barnes inscribed thereon.
Mr. Barnes was married October 16, 1866 to Mary C. Campbell, who is a daughter of William and Jane (Ekey) Campbell, and tot hem were born James, William and Rema Blanche. Mr. Barnes is a member of the G. A. R. Post at Jefferson, O., and he and his wife are active members of the M. E. Church. He is politically a Republican, is trustee of Salem Township and for several years served as supervisor.