Sources: Making of America E-text Project; The University of Michigan
Henry Howe's History of Ohio
Hawes, George W Title: Ohio state gazetteer and business directory for 1860-61.
Steubenville is located on the Ohio River 22 miles above Wheeling, 35 miles below Pittsburgh, 147 miles East by North from Columbus. It's name is derived from Fort Steuben (1789). The fort stood on High Street near the female seminary. It was dismantled after Wayne's victory. The town was laid out in 1798 by Bezaleil Wells and James Ross and was incorporated February 14, 1805. Merino sheep were introduced here by Bezaleil Wells and Mr. Dickerson.
John Wars- Recorder
Trustees: David Hog, Zacheus Beatty, Benjamin Hough, Thomas Vincents, John England, Martin Andrews, Abraham Cazier.
Matthew Adams- Accessor
Charles Maxwell - Collector
Anthony Beck - Town Marshall
Grove Academy: Male academy run by Rev. John W. Scott. Had 3 teachers and 80 students.
Female Seminary: Run by Rev. Charles C. Beatty with Mrs. Hetty Beatty as principal. It was established in 1829 and could accomodate 150 pupils.