Toronto

Toronto

According to "Jefferson County and her Townships", this is the history of Toronto: "Toronto as first laid out was entirely within the boundaries of Knox Township, occupying the southern corner. Toronto was originally called Newburg, then Sloane's Station. John Deputy laid out the town of Newburg in 1818. Newburg was a noted steamboat landing and the Cleveland and Pittsburgh railroad established a station at a point called Sloane's Station after William Sloane who granted the railroad a right of way. The change was necessary because the railroad had a station named Newburg near Cleveland. It was incorporated in 1881 and the name was changed by a vote of the citizens. It was named Toronto, a title suggested by Thomas M. Daniels, a pioneer manufacturer. Toronto, Canada was the home of his business associate. The corporation limits were extended both north and south taking in the village of Fosterville of 112 acres and at the south Markle with 25 acres." [p.9]


Return to Cities Page

Return to Main Index