Lake County Ohio GenWeb
This biography is taken from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio, Embracing the counties of Ashtabula, Geauga and Lake; Lewis Publishing Company, 1893.
Transcribed and submitted by Becky Falin, 1996.
Charles F. House, a leading practitioner of Painesville, Lake county, Ohio, has here made his home and field of operation for the past nineteen years. He keeps thoroughly abreast of the time in regard to all new discoveries and applications of the science of healing, and enjoys now not only a local reputation, but has patients from a large area of the surrounding country. John House, the father of our subject, was born in Westfield, Massachusetts. He was a farmer and blacksmith and for many years was Postmaster at Leroy. For a long period of time he was engaged in the dry-goods business in Painesville, the firm being known as J. House & Son. He was an active member of the First Congregational Church and in politics was first a Whig, afterwards a Republican, and for the last four years of his life used his franchise in favor of the Prohibition party. His death occurred when he had reached the good old age of eighty-four years. He married Jane E. Mosely, who was born in Massachusetts and came to Ohio when quite young. Her father was a prominent early settler and large land-owner of Geauga county. He was over ninety years old at the time of his death. Mrs. House became the mother of eight children, six of the number living to mature age. She was called from this life in her seventy-seventh year.
Dr. House was born December 12, 1847; was brought up in Painesville and was given the best school advantages, both here and also at Oberlin College, where he spent six months. Afterward going to Hudson, he entered the Western Reserve College, where he took a classical course and graduated in 1871, with the degree of Master of Arts. In the spring of 1871, he began the study of medicine and after two and one-half years of study in the Cleveland Medical College he went East to complete the required years. In 1874 he graduated from Long Island Hospital College and soon after returning here "hung out his shingle." His practice is now as large as that of any other physician in the city, and he is often called into consultation with other leading members of the profession.
The marriage of Dr. House and Miss Mary I Radcliff was celebrated October 4, 1888. She is a member of the Episcopal Church, but the Doctor prefers the Congregational Church, but is quite liberal and tolerant in his views. In politics he is a Republican, and fraternally is a member of the Masonic order. From 1879 to 1888, Dr. House was Secretary of the Board of Pension Examiners of Painesville. He is a member of the American Medical Association and of the American Academy of Medicine. John House, grandfather of our subject, was born in North Adams, Massachusetts. He was of English extraction, the family having located in America during the Colonial days. He was a farmer in Geauga county, to which he came at a very early day and entered large tracts of land, owning at one time fully 1,000 acres. He developed a large share of this and greatly increased its value. John House was a blacksmith and wagonmaker by trade, and at one time engaged in merchandising. He departed this life at the age of eighty-two years.
Back to the Biography Index
If you have other Lake County resources or corrections please contact the webmaster at CynthiaGenWeb@juno.com
Last updated 3 Apr 2002
Content © by author