Lake County Ohio GenWeb
Jonathan Kellogg 1773-1836
Contributed by Dennis Lawrence, grandson of Guy Carey Kellogg, and 3 great grandson of Jonathan 19 July 2004.
Jonathan Kellogg was born January 24, 1773 probably in Essex, NY, son of Zachariah Kellicutt and Charity. He married on May 25, 1800 in Weathersfield, Vermont, Hannah Upham, who was born July 13, 1780 probably in the same place on May 25, 1800 to Asa and Lydia Pierce Upham.
Their children were as follows:
- Leonard Kellogg, born July 19, 1801 in Vermont, who married Elizabeth (Betsey) Bosley, daughter of James Bosley on November 8, 1825 in
Leroy Twp., Geauga County (now Lake), Ohio.
- Philavillin Kellogg was born October 28,
1803 in Vermont. She married Benjamin T. Seeley, son of Benjamin Seeley, on November 15, 1827 in
Geauga County, probably LeRoy Twp.
- Daniel R. Kellogg was born April 2, 1806 in Orwell, Vermont, and married Anna Ellis March 14, 1832 in Perry, Ohio. Anna was the daughter of Simeon
Ellis of Perry. By 1840 census Daniel and Anna had moved on to St Joseph
- John R. Kellogg was born March 28, 1808 in Rupert Vermont. He married Rachel Shelley, daughter of Thomas
Shelley, in 1833 in Madison Twp and was found there in the 1840 census.
- Harvey Kellogg who was born May 1, 1811
in New Haven Vermont, married Jerusha Park on May 1, 1831 in Perry, Ohio. She was the daughter of Joshua
Park. They had two children prior to moving to Indiana
- Samuel Kellogg, born March 11, 1814 in New York, married Eliza Jane Norton in Edwardsburg, Michigan.
- Harriett M. Kellogg, seventh child, but first daughter, was born November 11, 1816 in New York. She married Uri Case on August 27, 1835 of New York.
- Eliza V. Kellogg was born April 30, 1819 in
Canada, and married James Crosby of Maine.
- Silas Kellogg born August 11, 1821 in Perry Township, Geauga Co Ohio, married first Jane Secherverell, daughter of Gustavus, on May 9, 1844 of Harpersfield and had two children in North Madison, Ohio where she died. He then married Harriet Hall on June 16, 1870. He is buried in North Madison Cemetery.
- Amos Kellogg, the last child was born December 30, 1826 in Geauga Co., Ohio, probably in Leroy Twp.
The family of Jonathan Kellogg lived in the Geauga County Ohio area
starting from about 1821.
Jonathan and his son Leonard were found on the Leroy Township Pollbook for
October 9, 1822 and Jonathan was found on the Leroy Township Pollbook for
October 12, 1824.
As the family married they moved on west and
settled in towns such as Elkhart, Indiana; Walkerton, Indiana; Laporte,
Indiana; Charles City, Iowa, except for Silas who remained in the Lake County, Ohio area.
Harvey Deloss Kellogg the son of Harvey moved his family to a homestead in
Alcona Twp, Rooks Co., Kansas by covered wagon in 1878. There were four
wagons in the party and Harvey Delos had a yoke of oxen and a team of
horses. First houses in the west were made of prairie sod or were dug out
of the bank. They then moved to Hendley, Nebraska.
Guy Carey Kellogg the son of Harvey Delos Kellogg raised his family in
Hendley, Nebraska and moved back to the Northeast Ohio area about 1912,
living in Ashtabula County the rest of his life.
The patriarch of this family, Jonathan Kellogg died January 22, 1836, probably in Madison, Ohio. His grave site has not as yet been found. His widow, Hannah, continued on west with children and died July 9, 1859 in Charles City, Iowa. She is buried in Riverside Cemetery there.