Search billions of records on

Lake County Genealogical Society (Ohio)

Brakeman (Peters) Cemetery
Inscriptions Brakeman Cemetery Section Map

From Debbie Kinyon and Pat Greene's book, History of Leroy, second edition, on page 47:

The oldest cemetery in Leroy, Brakeman Cemetery, was established in 1811. Once known as Peters Cemetery, this land was donated by Josiah Hungerford. Deacon Hungerford was a native of East Haddam, Connecticut, who settled in Leroy in 1826. He and his family made the trip by covered wagon with only the youngest allowed to ride. The rest of the children walked with their parents form Connecticut to Ohio. Both Mr. and Mrs. Hungerford are buried here. The earliest grave in Brakeman Cemetery is that of Benjamin Bates first wife in 1811. Ira Bates, age 9 days, born from Benjamin's second wife, was buried Dec. 3, 1915. His mother died 15 years later at the age of 32 and was buried July 2, 1830. There is also a marker for Jacob Brakeman, age 13, buried in1831. There were exceptions to the rule of dying young. Nathan French is buried here and his inscription reads: Died Aug. 3, 1837, age 87 yrs., 6 months, 27 days, Soldier of the American Revolution. Josiah Hungerford was also a soldier of the Revolution. A split rail fence was erected around this cemetery in 1860.

Josiah Hungerford is well known in the history books, and the stone probably reads that he died September 19, 1841 at 78 years of age.

This small cemetery, right on the side of Painesville Warren Road (Rte. 86) now has a chain link fence and gate. There is a brick mausoleum there for E.A.and Cora Peters Brown. It was probably built around 1946. The most recent stone is that of Wayne Peters, 1904-1984. There are many brownstone markers in this cemetery, giving it a very old appearance. Large numbers of the stones are leaning or toppled.

There was some directional confusion in these readings, as the road generally is diagonal, although some consider it to be north-south as marked, and others east-west. An attempt was made to make it consistent, but some errors probably have occurred.

The cemetery was read as four sections. All the rows were read from west to east, and the stones from north to south.

The readings were proofed on 24 June 2000.


Copyright issues: Copyrights on the files on this site are held by the creators. They may be linked to but not copied except for personal use.
Disclaimer: The Lake County Genealogical Society cannot be held responsible for errors in transcription or in original documents. These files were intended only as guides to original records from which the researcher should draw his own conclusions.

For problems or comments on this site, contact the webmaster at