Search billions of records on

Lake County Genealogical Society (Ohio)

Cumings Mansion Stones (extinct)

            Although there is no evidence that there is or ever was a cemetery on the property of the old Cumings Mansion, two stones have been found there. In 1978 a doorstep was found to have been a gravestone of Emily Hill. Much later, found during demolition of the old front porch, another stone, or part of a stone, was unearthed. This one has less writing on it, and is in the basement with the other stone now. No new stone has been located for Emily, nor any for her husband Addison or her parents in any local cemetery.

            This large white home is at the intersection of State Routes 84 and 86 and Cumings Road in Painesville, commonly known as Five Points. It is on the east side of the intersection, on the west bank of the Grand River. This home was purported to be active on the underground railroad in the 1800s. There are tunnels that run to what are holes in the cliff of the bank of the river. Children playing there when the house was abandoned in the 1970s recall exploring these tunnels.



 Cumings Mansion Stone



Sec- tion


Stone #




 Hill, Emily Tracey




Emily Hill/ Wife of Addison Hill/ daughter of Rufus and Sarah Tracey/ Springfield, N.Y./ Died March 6, 1835/ age29 yrs. 9 mos. 16 days


from an old news article

  Painesville Township

Copyright issues: Copyrights on the files on this site are held by the creators. They may be linked to but not copied except for personal use.
Disclaimer: The Lake County Genealogical Society cannot be held responsible for errors in transcription or in original documents. These files were intended only as guides to original records from which the researcher should draw his own conclusions.

For problems or comments on this site, contact the webmaster at


© 2003 Lake County Genealogical Society, a chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society.