Zion Suomi Lutheran Church Cemetery (Active, Lot owners only)
The Zion Lutheran Church of Fairport Harbor was established 13 December 1891.
On 26 July 1902 the church purchased approximately two acres of land from George P. Steele for $300.00. The land is located in Lot #4, Tract #4 between Fifth and Independence Streets on the east side of East Street in Fairport Harbor. The sale is recorded in Volume 333, page 278 of Lake County records of Deeds.
The cemetery was consecrated 30 May 1903 with Pastor Peter Salovaara of Fairport and Pastor J. Kallen of Ashtabula officiating. This was also the date of the first burial - Simon Isackila.
On 2 May 1910 there was an agreement signed with C.L. Flaccus of the Diamond Alkali Company to sell to the company the southeast corner of the cemetery as a right-of-way for a railroad line. The sale was accomplished with $250.00 being the price. The right-of-way line is the back line of the cemetery.
Item 3 of the Cemetery Committee meeting held 11 April 1919 states that a wrought iron fence was to be ordered from Tutkowski and Company at a cost of 90 cents a foot for a total of 306 feet. A length of 10 feet on the north and south sides was to be installed along with a large gateway of 15 feet width, and all one piece, and a small gateway of 3 feet. Albert Hilston was to place the order after the engineer measured the cemetery. The fence, gates, and sidewalk were in place by 11 January 1920 at a total cost of $699.00. In 1949 the flagpole was erected and in 1984 a new storage building was added.
This is a private cemetery and burials are still conducted there. All plots are sold and the owner(s) of the plot determines who may be buried there. Currently one casket and two cremation urns may be interred in each plot.
Fairport Harbor had a large influx of Finnish immigrants in the latter part of the 19th century. It was these people who established the church and the cemetery. Therefore many of the tombstones are worded in the Finnish language. (See short glossary for translations.) This cemetery is a well cared for peaceful place.
Addendum June 2017: records for this cemetery ar held by the Finnish Heritage Museum, 301 High St, Fairport Harbor, OH 44077.
Copyright issues: Copyrights on the files on this site are held by the creators. They may be linked to but not copied except for personal use.
For problems or comments on this site, contact the webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2003 Lake County Genealogical Society