Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Lake County Genealogical Society (Ohio)


Riverside Cemetery (Active)

Inscriptions Section Map

Riverside Cemetery is located on Riverside Drive. In 1946 the City of Painesville purchased 25.39 acres from the Painesville Township Board of Education, which originally intended to use the site for a new township high school building but the space was found insufficient for this use. The acreage was then annexed to the city. This action was taken as Evergreen Cemetery was rapidly nearing capacity. An additional 20.46 acres was purchased from Clarence A. and Helen R. Shepard on February 16th, 1959.

            The first burial took place on November 14th, 1953. This cemetery has a potential capacity of 50,000 burials.


[Ed. Note] Interestingly, the Shepard property was previously owned by Ernst and Henrietta Cook. They had a two story home on the property which was moved toward the County Home by the Mordush family. The chimney fell off during the move and was never replaced. What is ironic about this is that this same Cook couple owned property which they sold for Evergreen Cemetery, and moved to the area that would become Riverside Cemetery. Descendants of this family are in both burial grounds.


  County-wide
Index
  Painesville
Township
Cemeteries
 

Copyright issues: Copyrights on the files on this site are held by the creators. They may be linked to but not copied except for personal use.
Disclaimer: The Lake County Genealogical Society cannot be held responsible for errors in transcription or in original documents. These files were intended only as guides to original records from which the researcher should draw his own conclusions.

For problems or comments on this site, contact the webmaster at lcgsohio@juno.com

© 2003 Lake County Genealogical Society


HOME