West Bank Burying Ground - (Extinct)
An article found in the Painesville Telegraph, January 17, 1861 mentions this Painesville graveyard, now long gone.
Although it reads like a tabloid article, there is probably some truth to it. The S. Marshall property was on the northeast corner of the intersection of Walnut and Bank Streets. It was probably the big white mansion still on that corner facing Bank Street.
According to History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio, John Smith arrived in mid November of 1800, coming up the Grand River. His home was built on the hill leading to the “Arch bridge” east of Seth Marshall. This would put the burial ground on the north side of East Walnut Street, between Bank Street and the Grand River.
Copyright issues: Copyrights on the files on this site are held by the creators. They may be linked to but not copied except for personal use.
For problems or comments on this site, contact the webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2003 Lake County Genealogical Society