Elyria, Lorain County, Ohio
Map to Location
Copied from Lorain County's out-of-print publication, Cemetery Inscriptions of Lorain County, Ohio 1980, by volunteer Denise Higgins Branch, 2002.
On the west side of Gulf Road, between Ridge Street and Columbus Street, this includes what was earlier referred to as the "Old Elyria" cemetery. Burials go back as far as 1817, and probably earlier. Heman Ely, 1775-1852, the founder of Elyria, and numerous members of his family are buried in the family plot here, in the southwest corner of the old cemetery, all enclosed within an iron fence. When Charles Arthur Ely sold the six lots to the city in 1854, he had reserved a section of Lot #153 for himself and descendants. A handsome Civil War Monument is the site of annual Memorial Day programs.
Only burials to 1930 are recorded and may not be complete. For more information contact Ridgelawn Cemetery, 328 Broad St, Elyria OH 44035, Attention Cemetery Division, or call Stan, Supervisor, 440-322-3896.
More up-to-date burial information by Eagle Scout, Ian R. McGuire, may be found at Interment.net.