Newspaper Column Appearing
"The Spirit of Democracy"
15 Oct 1970
HICKMAN FAMILY - 1st Installment
The information in this column is through the courtesy of Mrs. M. James Hennen, Jr. of 519 Fourth Avenue, Waynesburg, PA 15370. She has just finished a history of the Hennen Family of that area, titled HENNEN'S CHOICE, a nicely lithographed book, hard-back, cloth binding, priced at $15.00, and deals mainly with the Hennens and other related families in the southwest Pennsylvania and northwest West Virginia area.
She writes that she has been able to trace the Hickman family back to William and his wife, Margaret. William Hickman was listed as a member of the company of William Harrod, in 1780. This same company lists many names of those who are known to have been of what later became Greene County, PA.
William Hickman is shown in the 1790 census in Franklin Township, Washington Co., PA (now part of Greene Co.). His family then consisted of himself, his wife and one son. He was not tabulated in the 1800 census for the same area, nor has he been found elsewhere. He was not listed in the 1798 direct tax list, but by 1810 he again shows up in the census in Franklin Township, which was then part of Greene Co. which had been established in 1796. In 1810 he was shown as being over 45 years of age (born before 1765) and his wife aged 24-45 (b. 1765-1784): the household also contained one male 16-25; 1 male and 2 females 10-16; and 1 male and 3 females under 10.
In 1820 Margaret Hickman was listed as head of the household in Franklin Township and her age was over 45 years (born before 1775) and at home with her were: 1 male (born 1795-1802), 1 female (born 1795-1804), a male and female (born 1804-1810), and 1 female (born 1810-1820).
By 1830 this family had removed to Monroe Co. where they had established residence in Green Township. The 1830 census [shows] that Margaret Hickman was born 1760-1770; and still with her in 1830 were: a male (born 1800-1810), a female (born 1810-1815). In 1840 she appears to be residing with her son, Lewis Hickman, in Greene Township.
Several other families in the Greene Township area emigrated from Greene Co., PA around 1820, including Stewarts, Huffmans, Shrivers, Hunnells, Devaulls, and Grims. Hardesty's History indicates that Greene Township in Monroe Co. was named after their former home, Greene Co., PA.
The will of William Hickman was written Sept. 7, 1817 and probated Nov. 21, 1817. Abraham Fordyce and Wm. Tygard were witnesses. This will is recorded in Greene Co., PA Will Book 1, and mentions his wife, Margaret, and children: William, Elizabeth, Samuel, Mary, Marget, Daniel, Marthy, Sary, Rebeckey, Luis, and Pachnes.
On April 4, 1834, the above named children (and their spouses) except Rebecca, joined their mother, Margaret, in conveying the tract of land containing 277 acres (which Wm. owned at the time of his decease) to Thomas Longstreth, the husband of Rebecca Hickman. On that date all grantors were residing in Monroe Co. Rebecca Hickman Longstreth was the only member of the family to remain in Greene Co., PA and she was the ancestor of Mrs. Hennen.
Mrs. Hennen has no knowledge of the parents or former residence of William Hickman. Indications are that he most likely was a Revolutionary Soldier, however, this proof has not been established to date. It is thought that he was the William Hickman who served with Wm. Harrod in 1780.
The only clue to the identity of Margaret Hickman has been found in the will of Daniel Stewart (also of Franklin Township) as recorded in Greene Co., PA. That was written March 5, 1816 and probated March 18, 1816. Daniel named William Hickman as executor, and referred to William as "brother-in-law." This would indicate one of three possibilities: Wm. Hickman married Margaret Stewart, Daniel Stewart married a Hickman, or Daniel Stewart and William Hickman married sisters.
Therefore, to date, it is known that William Hickman was born (probably in PA) before 1765; died in Franklin Township, Greene Co., PA between Sept. and November 1817. He married Margaret ______, born (probably in PA) 1765-66; died Greene Township, Monroe Co., Feb. 10, 1849, aged 85 years, and is buried in the Hickman cemetery there. The burial place of William Hickman has not been ascertained.
(to be continued)
Newspaper Column Appearing
"The Spirit of Democracy"
22 Oct 1970
(1) William Hickman, Jr. - married Mary Green. Wm. Jr. was born in Washington (now Greene) Co. Pa. May 10 1791 and died in Greene Twp. Monroe Co. Dec. 28, 1858, aged 67 years, 7 months and 18 days. His wife was the daughter of John and Mary Morris Green, and she was born 1797, died Oct. 29, 1856, in her 60th year. Both are buried in the Hickman Cemetery in Greene Twp. The children in this family, (as researched by Mrs. Hennen, but still open to question) were: Isaac, born 1810, married Nancy, Sarah, born 1812 - married Peter King; Margaret, married Eli Henthorne; John born 1817, married Susanna; William, born 1819 - married Matilda (Henthorne?); Henry 1822-1898 - married Susan Conner; James born 1827 - married Elizabeth Elizabeth, born 1829; Peter born 1831 and Eli born 1833.
(2) Elizabeth Hickman, born Washington (now Greene Co.) Pa, June 23, 1790 and died in Greene Twp. Monroe Co. Feb 18, 1866, aged 75 years, 7 months, and 26 days. She married Isaac Conley, who was born in Pa. Dec. 18, 1787 and died in Greene Twp, April 28, 1854 (aged 66 years, 4 months, and 6 days. -- both buried in the Hickman Cemetery. Mrs. Hennen believes that the following may be the children of this couple: Margaret Conley, married Peter Eddy; m. Conley; Jesse Conley; Catharine Conley, married Daniel Dennis; Daniel Conley, born 1816; Mary Conley married Wm. Cunningham; James Conley 1823-1857; Elizabeth Conley - born 1825, married John Devaul; Isaac Conley; and Sarah Conley, born 1833.
(3) Mary Hickman, born in Pa. about 1794 and married William Baily, also born in Pa. about 1794. This family is listed in the 1820 census in Wayne Township, Greene Co., Pa. and at that time had two males born 1810-1820 in their family. By 1830 [?, REH] they were living in Monroe Co. and by then they had another daughter born 1835-1840 and another possible son born 1830-35. Mrs. Hennen has been unable to find much on this family, but she believes that a Wm. Bailey, Jr. born in 1817, and Jacob (born 1832) and Delilah (born 1834) fit into this family.
(4) Margaret Hickman born in Greene Co., Pa. 1797, married John Price, also born in Pa. 1797. They show up in the Monroe Co. 1830 census with 3 males and a female born 1820-25; and 1 male and 1 female born 1825-30. By 1840 2 more females and possibly one male had been born between 1830-35; and 2 males and 1 female born 1835-40. The family is still listed in the 1850 census, and Margaret was still there in 1860. John was likely deceased by 1860. It is believed that William Price, born about 1820 and married to a Sarah Grim belonged to this family, and also these children - Martha Price, born c. 1834; John, born c. 1835; Daniel, born c. 1838; Jacob, born c. 1840; and Mary, born c. 1841. Also in the 1850 census, living with the above household was Catharine Anderson, born about 1845.
(5) Samuel Hickman - born Greene Co. Pa. about 1800, married Malinda (Stewart?) who was born in Ohio about 1810-14. The 1840 census shows this Samuel in Greene Township, and his age was 40-50; his wife was aged 20-30; Also with them was a male and female, born 1820-25. They were in Union Township in 1850, but not listed in the 1860 census in Monroe Co. It is believed that they had about 11 children.
(6) Rebecca Hickman, born Green Co. 1803, died there March 21, 1889, married about 1824 Thomas Longstreth of Philip and Salome Heaton Longstreth, born in Md. 1804, and died in Greene Co. 1864.
(7) Daniel Hickman - born about 1800. His wife was a Martha. This family is listed in 1830 in Malaga Township, Monroe Co.; not found here in 1840, but found again in 1850 and in 1860 they are listed in Seneca Township.
(8) Martha Hickman - married a Samuel Stewart, son of Isaac and Elizabeth Parrish Stewart. This family can be found in Greene Township, Monroe Co. in 1830, in Perry Township in 1840, but not in either 1850 or 1860 in Monroe Co.
(9) Sarah Hickman - born about 1804, married Peter Fry. This couple was found in the 1830 census in Greene Township, Monroe Co. but had no children then; by 1840 they were in Jackson Township; not found in Monroe Co. in 1850; but by 1860 they were back in Ohio Township.
(10) Lewis Hickman - His wife was a Frances (Fanny). He is in the 1830 census for Greene Township, Monroe Co; also there in 1840; in 1850 he is in Ohio Township and in 1860 in Sunsbury Township.
(11) Patience Hickman - married John Rutter. This family is in the 1830 census in Jackson Township, Monroe Co.; in 1840 in Greene Township; their probably children were: Margaret Rutter, born circa 1831; Wm. born circa 1833; Ebenezer, born circa 1840; Rebecca, born circa 1842; Robert, born circa 1844; and John born circa 1848.