Monroe County History
- Monroe County
- Established: January 29, 1813
County Seat: Woodsfield Village
Land Area: 455.6 square mile
Named For: Secretary of State James Monroe
Included: Parts of Belmont, Guernsey, and Washington counties.
Eastern Border: The Ohio River
In 1969 the Woodsfield Chamber of Commerce produced a Monroe County Ohio History. The majority of the information came originally from "History of Monroe County, Ohio", by H.H. Hardesty & Co., Publishers, dated 1882, newspaper files, and other individuals. It contains histories of most townships, Ohio River transportation, Oil, and Monroe's part in the Civil and Revolutionary Wars. The following links (and the imagemap links) go directly to those portions of this historical account.
Stock, Enoch, Elk and Union townships were part of Monroe County in the 1850's and became part of Noble County c 1851 or c 1860. See the Noble County OHGenWeb Website for more information.
- Early Settlements
- First Germans and Swiss
- The County Seat
- The First Monroe County Fair
- Monroe County's Patriotic Part in the Civil War
- Monroe County's Patriotic Part in the Revolutionary War
- Early History of Oil
- Transportation on the Ohio River
- Condensed from "Railroad Magazine" and "Train Magazine"
|Current Townships of Monroe County Ohio|
- Municipalities Antioch
Woodsfield - county seat
- Other places