Adams Township was organized on March 6, 1826, containing 23 square miles. It embraces parts of Townships 3 and 4 of Range 4 as originally surveyed and parts of Townships 4 and 5 of Range 5 as originally surveyed. It is bounded on the North by Sunsbury Township and Switzerland Township. It is bounded on the North by Sunsbury Township and Switzerland Township. It is bounded on the East by Salem Township. It is bounded on the South by Green Township. It is bounded on the West by Center Township. Adams Township is watered by Sunfish Creek and its various branches. Sunfish Creek passes through the middle of Adams Township, running from West to East. The Piney Fork of Sunfish Creek, located in Sunsbury Township, drains the Northeastern part of Adams Township and empties into the main stream located in Section 31. One of the first grist-mills in Adams Township was built near the mouth of the main stream. Many years ago, John Sinclair and Alexander Sinclair built an oil mill further up the stream near the line between Adams Township and Sunsbury Township. This was the only oil mill ever located in Monroe County. It was destroyed by fire after a few years of successful operation. Oxley's grist-mill above the mouth of the Piney Fork and Sinclair's sawmill below the mouth of the Piney Fork were washed away by high waters.
Atkinson's Run drains the Northeastern part of Adams Township and Hurd's Run drains the Southern part of Adams Township -- both of them emptying into Sunfish Creek at Cameron.
It is not certain who the first settlers of Adams Township were. It is known, however, that five brothers, Charles Atkinson; James Atkinson; Mitchell Atkinson; William and Isaac Atkinson settled at the mouth of Sunfish Creek at the beginning of the century. Charles and James soon moved further up the Creek -- James moving to Cameron and Charles, the father of Stephen Atkinson, Sr., moving to a farm previously owned by Michael Boughner. Mitchell and Isaac moved to Seneca Township. It is believed that at one time William was a resident of Adams Township but that he later moved to Green Township on a farm previously owned by Christian Roth. Among other early settlers in Adams Township were Gilbert McCoy; Mitchell McCoy; Elias Conger, Sr.; Christian Hartline; Philip Noland; Robert Norris; Samuel Bracy; the Mellott family; and the Powell family.
The Disciples, as they were generally called, built the first church in Adams Township in 1825 near Cameron. The ministers for this church were Reverend John T. Criss and Reverend John Sicrist. The Pleasant Grove M.E. Church and the Bracey Christian Church were located in the Northwestern part of Adams Township. The United Presbyterian Church was located in the Southern part of Adams Township and the Goudy Christian Church was located in the Southwestern part of Adams Township.
Cameron was organized by James Atkinson in 1837 and, at that time, was called Jamestown. It is located near the Eastern border of Adams Township along Sunfish Creek. An addition to Cameron, next to the creek, was made by Stephen Atkinson, the postoffice, known as Rocky Narrows, was located here. The name of the town and the name of the post office were subsequently changed to Cameron at a later date.
There was a post office located at the mouth of Piney Fork years ago and it was called Young's Mill. The location was changed to Taylor's Store and the name was changed to Irish Ridge. In 1880, the population of Cameron was 170 people and the population of Adams Township and Cameron combined was 1,317 people.
The school statistics for Adams Township, for the year ending on August 31, 1881, were as follows: Total amount of money received within the school year -- $1,921.75; amount of money paid to teachers within the school year -- $981.10; the balance on hand -- $839.55; Amount paid for fuel and other utilities within the school year -- $96.10; the number of schools -- 5; Value of school property -- $2,000.00; Number of teachers -- 5; Average wages per month for ladies -- $20.00; Average wages per month for gentlemen -- $28.00; and the total number of pupils enrolled within the school year -- 235.
The school statistics for Cameron, for the year ending on August 31, 1881, were as follows: Total amount of money received within the school year -- $1,262.40; Amount of money paid to primary teachers within the school year -- $200.60; Amount of money paid to high school teachers within the school year -- $346.05; Amount paid for fuel and other utilities within the school year -- $37.52; the balance on hand -- $678.23; Number of schools -- 1; Number of rooms -- 2; Value of school property -- $800.00; Number of teachers -- 2; Average wages per month for ladies -- $34.00; Average wages per month for gentlemen -- $34.00; and number of pupils enrolled within the school year -- 117.
Cephas Hart, C.M. Blowers, and J.M. Boughner served as Justices of the Peace for Adams Township in 1881.