Monroe County's Patriotic Part In The Civil War
Monroe County was ready with volunteers for the Civil War. When President Lincoln made his first call for 75,000 young men to serve for a period of three months, two companies were formed here. Before they could be mustered in, Ohio's quota was full. These two companies, B and C, were then mustered into the 25th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment for a term of three years per each man.
William P. Richardson was the first major of this regiment. Later he became a brigadier general. Jere Williams became Lieutenant Colonel and Dr. William Walter was surgeon.
Officers of Company B were James Washburn, Captain; Charles B. Jones, First Lieutenant; and John D. Merryman, Second Lieutenant.
Officers of Company C were Jere Williams, Captain; William P. Richner, First Lieutenant; and Frank M. Sinclair, Second Lieutenant.
The regiment was organized at Camp Chase on June 28, 1861. It was mustered out on June 18, 1866, having served five years.
The first officers of Company E of the 27th Ohio Volunteer Infantry from this county were Milton Wells, Captain; J.W.M. Brock, First Lieutenant; and Matthew Brown, Second Lieutenant. This regiment was discharged in July of 1865 after four years of service.
The first officers of Company H of the 62nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment were William Dougherty, Captain; Henry R. West, First Lieutenant; and Samuel D. Hooper, Second Lieutenant. Lieutenant West later became a Colonel and, when the 62nd Regiment and the 67th Regiment consolidated (retaining the name of the 67th Regiment), he became a Brigadier General.
The first officers of Company A of the 77th Ohio Volunteer Infantry were William E. Stevens, Captain; Harvey Anderson, First Lieutenant; and Joseph S. Steenrod, Second Lieutenant.
An attempt was made to organize another company but, at the time the organization procedures were ready to begin, most of the man were assigned to other companies.
Captain Stevens later became a Colonel. Dr. James W. Warfield served as Surgeon and Pardon Cook served as Assistant Surgeon.
The first officers of Company C of the 92nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment were John C. Morris, Captain; and Milton Patton, First Lieutenant.
The first officers of Company K of the 92nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment were Thomas Wilson, Captain; A.G. Hughes, First Lieutenant; and John D. Smith, Second Lieutenant.
The first officers of Company D of the 2nd Virginia Volunteer Infantry Regiment were Warren Hollister, Captain; William R. Ford, First Lieutenant; and Jonathan N. Patton, Second Lieutenant. Other officers of this Regiment were Simpson Hollister and Hamilton B. James.
The first officers of the two companies of the 7th Virginia Volunteer Infantry Regiment were Solomon Spangler, Captain; John A. Fleahman. First Lieutenant; John W. Denny, Second Lieutenant; and Isaac B. Fisher, Captain; James Watson, First Lieutenant; and John W. Eddington, Second Lieutenant.
The first officers of Companies A, C, D, E, and F, of the 116th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment were James Washburn (commissioned Colonel), W.T. Morris (Major), Charles W. Ridgeway, Robert Wilson, William M. Kerr, Frederick H. Arkenee, James P. Mann, David M. Lupton, William Myers, Henry Okey, Richard Chaney, John Varley, Peter Dillon, John C. Henthorn, Matthew Brown, Henry McElfresh, and Wilson F. Martin.
The first officers of the 2nd Virginia Cavalry were Thomas Neal, Captain; Jeremiah Boyd, First Lieutenant; and William Church, Second Lieutenant.
James S. Algeo was an officer of the 4th Virginia Cavalry. The names of other officers of this unit are not known.
Henry H. Lohmire was an officer of the 12th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry.
The 186th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment was organized in March of 1865, but it was disbanded in September. This unit had volunteers from Graysville and Beallsville.