Membership and Chapter Information
Return to Montgomery County OGS Home Page
The Montgomery County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society is organized as a non-profit corporation under the laws of the State of Ohio, having been formed for purposes other than the financial gain or profit of its members or trustees. More particularly, it is a so-called "charitable corporation," organized and operated, in the present case, for educational purposes. The Chapter received its Charter from the Ohio Genealogical Society on May 4, 1974.
Purposes of the Society
- To foster an interest in all of the peoples who contributed in any way, however, great or small, in establishing and perpetuating the State of Ohio.
- To search for the reasons and forces behind the migrations of the early settlers into this state.
- To preserve and safeguard manuscripts, books, relics, and memoranda relating to the early settlers of Ohio.
- To secure and hold copyrights and plates of books, periodicals, tracts, and pamphlets of genealogical and historical interest to the people of Ohio.
- To publish, print, buy, sell, and circulate literature relative to the purposes and acquisitions of the Society, its records and discoveries, to promote genealogical and historical research, and to aid in publication, dissemination, preservation, and safeguarding of genealogical and other manuscripts pertaining to Ohio, including biography, family and local history, for carrying on the work of education and for educational purposes.
- To receive and hold gifts and devices of real and personal estate from any source for the benefit of such association, and to dispose of real estate not needed, and to use solely for the purposes of the Society any funds derived therefrom or from gifts generally, and to do all things incident to the perpetuation of the purposes of the association, and generally to exercise the powers legally and properly requisite thereto.
Membership in the Montgomery County Chapter OGS entitles you to receive the monthly newsletter (Family Tree), a copy of the Surname Roster, and enables you to submit your own surnames to be included on the Chapter's web page. There are three types of memberships, all of which run from January 1 to December 31:
- Individual - $12.00 per year
- Family - $15.00 per year (one newsletter)
- Sustaining $25.00 per year (amount in excess of dues is considered a donation)