WELCOME TO THE
MORGAN TOWNSHIP HISTORICAL SOCIETY WEBSITE
A scene of Morgan Township 19th century rural life
as depicted in the 1875 Butler County Atlas.
The Morgan Township Historical Society is an organization which exists to collect and preserve historical records of the township. These resources will be made available to educate and promote an appreciation of the local history.
1. To compile an historical record of the township.
2. To provide programs of historical significance.
3. To discover historical structures and landmarks in the township.
4. To encourage active membership.
5. To secure financial support.
TIME AND PLACE
Meetings are held at the Morgan Township Administration Building at 3141 Chapel Road on the third Saturday of each month at 10:00 am from March through December. Visitors are always welcome to the meetings where coffee and cookies are available during the social period prior to the meeting of the day.
Executive committee meetings, as convened by the President, are held in the newly restored 1858 Township House and Museum.
President: Jill Evans
Vice President: John D. Francis
Secretary: Marjorie Crane
Treasurer: Jon Stow
HISTORY OF THE TOWNSHIP
Morgan Township was settled in 1801 by Welsh immigrants from Llanbrynmair, Montgomeryshire, Wales; in later years German settlers also came into the township.
The national flag of Wales
When the township was created March 4, 1811 it was named after General Daniel Morgan for his victory at the battle of Cowpens, in South Carolina, which turned the tide of the American Revolutionary War. General Morgan was also a Welsh descendant from the colony of Virginia.
The Paddy’s Run historical marker in Shandon, Morgan Township (from both sides)
FOR GENEALOGICAL RESEARCH OF PADDY’S RUN OLD WELSH CEMETERY CLICK HERE
The 1858 Township House historical marker in Okeana, Morgan Township (from both sides)
1858 TOWNSHIP HOUSE RESTORATION PROJECT
The Morgan Township Historical Society is a 501 (c)3 not-for-profit corporation and all donations are tax deductable.
Donations are encouraged to support the Society with the restoration expense.
The restored 1858 Township House, April 2010.
About the 1858 Township House Restoration Project
1. PowerPoint presentations by authoritative sources on regional historical subjects.
2. Lectures on topics of local interest.
3. Field trips of historical interest
Pictures from previous meetings and observances.
For more information contact us by telephone (513-738-0910).
The restored 1858 township House & Museum is open to the public on special occasions or by appointment by calling (513) 738-0845.
Number of Viewers
Webmaster and images
by Jerry Johnson
First uploaded: May 13, 2010
Last change: May 1, 2011