A warehouse on Fifth Street purchased by John Dugan
1820 became the first Catholic church and was called "Trinity Church and
the "brick church". All catholics attended this church until 1842
at that time, the German speaking catholics united and formed their own
As the congregation grew in the "brick church" a larger one soon
necessary and the cornerstone was laid in March 1825 for a new
When it was dedicated in 1827 it was named St John's Roman Catholic
The congregation continued to rapidly increase so it was decided in
that another larger church was needed. The old church was demolished .
cornerstone for the present church was laid in March 1842 on the same
Street site and was renamed St Thomas.
All catholics attended the fifth street catholic church until 1842
the German speaking members separated and united to form their own
at the head of Main Street and Greenwood Avenue .It was named St
The present church was erected in 1898.
The "old" St Nicholas Cemetery was plotted on Wheeling Ave
burials were made there thru 1921. The cemetery has not been
and few legible stones remain. Even though the stones remain the bodies
have been moved. When the "new" cemetery land was purchased a number of
the bodies were removed from Wheeling Avenue and
in Mt Olive- the name chosen for the "new" burial place. Mt Olive is
on Rt 40 East at the top of the hill just beyond the Sunrise Shopping
The St Thomas and St Nicholas cemetery transcriptions
been read and copied by the Muskingum County Genealogical Society and
be found in their library which is located on the second floor of the
McIntire library on Fifth Street. Some St Thomas baptism
interment records can be researched in the publication
COUNTY FOOTPRINTS which is also available.