- R. B. Clothes - [men's clothing] 4738
Montgomery Road at its opening in March 29, 1952;
later, 4734 Montgomery Road?
- R. T. O. - [rent-to-own store] Surrey
- Blanche Rader - [delicatessen]
2438 Quatman Av.
- Radio Center - [radio & tv sales &
service] 3976 Montgomery Road
- Radio Shack - [electronics] Surrey
Square Originally inside the
mall, moved to exterior store (old Pizza Hut), then in 2008 to corner
exterior store at opposite (nwc) end of mall in 2008
- Rad's Chili Bar - [restaurant] 4555
- Rainbow Bread Company - [bakery]
- Rainbow Crafts - [Play-Doh manufacturer]
In 1927, Cleo & Noah McVicker bought Kutol
Products Co., a manufacturer of soaps and other cleaning products.
Because the market for Kutol Wall Cleaner had dried up, at the
suggestion of a sister-in-law, they developed a children's toy from
the wallpaper cleaner. Later, they made the non-toxic clay-like
product in several colors and named it Play-Doh. Rainbow Crafts was
formed with a plant on Highand Avenue. In 1965, Rainbow Crafts was
sold to General Mills. In 1970, Rainbow Crafts was put under the
Kenner brand, another company bought by General Mills in 1967. In
1987, the Tonka Corporation acquired Kenner Parker Toys (the General
Mills division created after Parker Brothers was added to Kenner). In
1991, Hasbro bought Kenner Parker Toys, including Play-Doh, from
- Ralph & Ann's Tavern -
[cafe/restaurant] 5201 Globe Avenue
- Adda Randall - [dress maker] 4905
- Randolph Pharmacy - [pharmacy]
Montgomery and Maple
- Edward J. Ransick - [realtor] 2065
- Rapid Restaurant - [restaurant] 4909
- Raymond Imported Motors [car dealership]
3813 Montgomery Road (see Raymond
- Raymond Toyota [car dealership] 3930
Montgomery Road (See Raymond
Imported Motors, predecessor?)
- Rebisso Plumbing & Heating, Inc. -
[plumbing & heating contractor] 4624 Station Avenue;
- Record Theatre - [video and music rental
and sales] Surrey Square, near Sherman Avenue entrance
- Red Elephant Oil Co. - [gasoline station]
s.w.c. Montgomery Road and Delaware Av.
- Red's Fruit Market - [fruit dealer-retail]
2028 Worth Avenue
- Pearl Reed - [practical nurse] 2104
Bennett Avenue, Apt. 10
- Reff's Finer Foods [grocery] Shanmoor and
- Refiners Oil Co. - [gasoline station]
n.w.c Bennett Av. and Smith Rd., s.e.c. Montgomery Rd. and Cleneay Av.
and n.w.c. Montgomery Rd. and Weyer Av.
- Marie H. Reid - [delicatessen]
2704 Melrose Av.
- Blanche Reineke - [artist] 3824 Cavagna
Avenue (street name was changed to South Madison Avenue a few
- Clifford N. Reis - [dry cleaner] 4508
- Charles Rekas - [restaurant] 4756
- Reliable Finance Company, Inc. - [loan
company] 4628 Montgomery Avenue on the ground floor of the Plaza
- Remington-Rand Company - [adding machine
manufacturer] previous name was Dalton Adding
- John P. Remke - [restaurant] 2702 Melrose
- Joseph J. Renner - [druggist]
4408 Carter Avenue
- Mrs. Sarah Renner Bakery - [bakery]
4605 Montgomery Road (ca. 1915-16); 4643 Montgomery
Road (ca. 1917-18)
- Rental Research, Inc. - [tenant background
histories] Surrey Square, above Getz
- Repro-Art Services - [commerical art] 4318
- Stanley R. Reuther - [furniture finisher]
4019 Huston Avenue
- Reverman & Co. - [grocery]
Montgomery and Sherman
- Charles T. Reynolds - [box
manufacturer/carpentry contractor] 2442 Park Av.
- Glenn E. Reynolds - [pony keg?] 3735
- Dale Rhoades - [restaurant] 2728 Norwood
- Sherman Richards - [dairy] Floral &
- W. G. (W. H.?) Richardson, Inc. - [retail
furniture dealer] 2107 Bennett Av.
a.k.a. Richardson Furniture Company 2107-09
Bennett Av., just off Montgomery Road;
started August 1, 1928, by Mr. & Mrs. W. H.(G?) Richardson and Mr.
& Mrs. Howard Marx, Mrs. Richardson's brother & sister-in-law.
Later, the Richardsons ran the store by themselves.
- Luther E. Ricketson - [delicatessen] 4504
- Ridge Moving Company - [moving &
transfer] 2265 Norwood Avenue
- Edwin A. Ries - [delicatessen] 5202
- John Riorden Dairy - [dairy]
Allison, north of Hopkins Avenue
- Joseph A. Rippe - [trucker] 4148 Webster
- Jacob Risch - [wagon
maker] Smith Road and Montgomery Road
- Rita's Clip N' Dale - [beauty salon] 3966
Montgomery Road (across from U.D.F.'s main
- Richard's Television & Radio Service -
[television sales & service] 4039 Edwards Road
- Pearl M. Robb - [practical nurse] 3804
Montgomery Road, Apt. 4
- Robertson Cafe - [cafe/restaurant] 2415
- Garland T. Robinson - [restaurant]
4802 Forest Av.; 2368 Harris Avenue
- Robby Jo's Fashionette - [women's clothing
store?] Surrey Square Mall
- Ralph E. Rockenfield Inc. - [auto sales]
3804 Montgomery Road
- Charles F. Rogers [bicycle repair] 3734
Montgomery Road, near Lexington Av.
- William H. Rohdenburg - [physician] 2101
Bennett Avenue, apt. A
- H. Roling Dairy - [dairy]
Sherman, west of McNeill Avenue (est.
- Roling & Wessels - [soft
drinks] 4903 Montgomery Road
- Roll's Hardware - [hardware store] 1822
- Joseph Rombs - [general building
contractor] 2224 Monroe Avenue
- The Romer Funeral Home - [funeral
home] Montgomery at Mentor (3943 Montgomery Road );
formerly Moeller Funeral Home
- The Rosander Furniture Co. - [retail
furniture dealer] 4341 Montgomery Road
- Arthur W. Rosberg - [restaurant]
2408 Harris Av.
- Maltilda Rose - [restaurant]
2119 Maple Av.
- Chalmers H. Ross - [restaurant] 3747
- Ervin Rost - [delicatessen]
3726 Floral Av.
- W. A. Roth - [druggist]
Montgomery Road and Waverly Avenue; phone: Ridge 150
- Herman Rottman - [contractor/builder] 4923
- Albert Rotzinger - [dealer in meats]
n.w.c. Carter & Courtland Avenues
- George P. Rourke - [realtor] 4315 Ivanhoe
- Rouse Bros. - [restaurant]
4547 Forest Av.
- Joe Rovito - [fruit] 4710½ Montgomery
- (George H.) Rowland's Food Market and
Delicatessen - [grocery]
5015 Wesley Avenue, off Highland, across from North Norwood School
- Roy's Market - [grocery]
4028 Forest Avenue
- Roy's Upholstery Company - [upholsterer]
4108 Montgomery Road
- John F. Ruh - [furniture repair, crating
and shipping] 1918 Elm Ave.
- Joe Rump - [electrical service] 1833 Elm
- Runtz Hardware - [grocery] 2019 Worth
- Jacob L. Ruoff - [grocery] 5400 Section
- Adrian Rush - [realtor] 1832 Courtland
Avenue, Apt. 10
- Russell, Morgan and Company - [printers]
original company of U. S. Printing Company
and U. S. Playing Card Company
- Ryan Bros. - [gasoline station] 5003
- James P. Ryan - [restaurant] 4943
- Mabel Ryan - [restaurant] 2408 Harris Ave.
- William C. Ryan - [restaurant] 4802 Forest