THE SEWERAGE DISTRICTS.- page 24 -
HE natural drainage of Norwood was fairly good, but the question of sewerage—such an important adjunct to health—was entrusted to a commission in June, 1890. The problem before them was no easy one, but the village has been divided into four districts, the first of which, in East Norwood, was completed in the fall of 1893, at a cost of little over $20,000, and of that assessment more than $5,000 was paid in cash. Elsmere compromises one of the other districts, South Norwood a third, and Central and West Norwood the fourth. A. H. Singer is the only member of the original commission who is not now on the board. He was succeeded, after his short term, by Peter Bettinger, who is chairman. The others are Edward Mills, N. Ashley Lloyd, J. M. Harper and L. Bolles, who fills the post of secretary. The commission has labored earnestly and unostentatiously, and their work, of vital interest to the whole community, has been well done. The system of sewage is one that has been tried and not found wanting. The dry or separating system which was adopted is in successful operation in several eastern cities. Automatic flushing basins are located at the mouth of each lateral sewer, and under those conditions it will be impossible to choke up subterranean drainage. The plan of Chas. A. Ewing was the one indorsed and under his administration, the great work now in progress was outlined.
——— – ———