- 1870 (January 29)
The Cincinnati Enquirer reported that "the old town of
Sharpsburg has been changed to Norwood since the Marietta Railroad
converted it into a station."
- 1870 (May 9)
The Sharpsburg P.O.'s name is officially changed to the Norwood P.O.
- 1872 (June 1)
The Marietta & Cincinnati Railroad opens a connection to the
Cincinnati & Baltimore Railroad in the Mill Creek Valley. The M.
& C. R. R. is given control over the 5.8 miles line into
Cincinnati under a lease arrangement. Previously, the M. & C.
used the Hamilton & Dayton Railroad's Mill Creek tracks to
Cincinnati. It isn't clear how, or if, this influenced the train
travel through Norwood's section of the M. & C.
- 1873 (June 13)
The 1st auction sales of lots at Franklin and Allison Streets is
held. These streets were platted earlier in the year. Three other
subdivisions are created by Wood & Reilly and L. C. Hopkins this
year. (should this be corrected to "created at Wood &
Reilly by L. C. Hopkins"?)
A 50 acre farm, south of the properties of T. T. Drake, an early
settler, and Charles F. Low, Secretary of the Marietta &
Cincinnati Railroad, is purchased by Robert Hedger, James Bradford,
George H. Hafer, and Maddox & Hobart. They plat the land into
fifty-feet front lots on Montgomery Road, and Maple and Elm Avenues.
It is known as "Hedger's Subdivision," "The Heart of
Norwood" and simply "Norwood." After East Norwood and
South Norwood are platted, residents of the area often refer to the
Hedger subdivision as "old Norwood," in order to
differentiate it from East and South Norwoods. (A nickname for the
area is "Swamp Poodle Town.") Together these three
Norwoods, with West Norwood often included, are commonly called
- 1874 (should this be 1884?)
George Hafer is appointed receiver of the
Cincinnati-Northern Railway Company after it goes into bankruptcy.
Later, after turning it around financially, he is made President of
the company, renamed the Cincinnati, Lebanon and Northern Railroad.
- 1875 (August 17)
The "Indian" Mound land is deeded to the "Norwood
Village" (Interestingly, Norwood is not incorporated as a
Village until 1888 - and even then the Norwood Heights area doesn't
become part of the village until the first annexation in early 1889;
so, who actually takes ownership of the land? Since the only
subdivisions at the time with the name Norwood, is Norwood Heights
and Hedger's Subdivision, a.k.a Norwood, perhaps the deed is to the
latter.). One half of the property is owned in common by S.
H. Parvin, P. P. Lane and E. W.
VanDuzen, who had purchased L. Bolles share of the Norwood Heights
subdivision, and the other half by Lydia B. and William R. Phipps.
The pathway around the Mound is called "Lookout Avenue" in
the deed, which is recorded on March 9, 1876.
- 1876 (February 1)
The Duckcreek Baptist Church moves to Mt. Lookout.
Note: John Paul Jones, in his article on Hyde
Park, "The Hermitage, The Pines, and Old Hyde Park," in
the Spring 1972 issue of The Cincinnati Historical Society
Bulletin, using John M. Lockhart's 1908 Memorial Volume of
the Hyde Park Baptist Church, Cincinnati, Ohio, (page 14) as his
reference source, says that the church site and its cemetery on Duck
Creek, near Edmondson Road, were abandoned in 1875, when the church
was moved to Grace Avenue at the northwest corner of Griest Avenue.
In 1904, the present building at Erie and Michigan Avenues was
- 1878 (December 19)
At a stockholders meeting, L. C. Hopkins
is elected president of the newly formed Norwood Town Hall
Association. Also elected to office are Edwards Mills, treasurer,
and Joseph B. Foraker, secretary. The
elected board consists of L. C. Hopkins,
P. P. Lane, J.
B. Foraker, Edward Mills and Frank Wiehe. The organization is
created to follow up on the demand of local women to build a village
center. However, because of lack of funds, it is four years later
before they build the center.