ALBERS & KAHLES
- ALBERS & KAHLES 1ST SUBDIVISION [11/29]
a.k.a. ALBERS & KAHLE ADDN TO NORWOOD
- ALBERS & KAHLE 2ND SUB. OF SOUTH NORWOOD [13/88]
- WILBUR E. ARNOLD SUBDIVISION [22/28]
Just below the old Norwood Heights Subdivision of Parvin, Bolles &
Lane, it encompasses the land west of Marion Avenue, north of Highland
Avenue and on both sides of most of Grandview Place. It is not
adjacent to Buxton Avenue. The water towers and the mound are above
and to the east of the eastern boundary of this subdivision. The city
right-of-way for the piping from the water towers is at this boundary.
The old Arnold Building ("Flat Iron Building") was named for
the same man.
- AVILLA PLACE SUBDIVISION [31/65]
- J. W. & W. C. BAKER'S ADDITION TO SHARPSBURG [3/68]
This property was platted around 1868 and was located just north of
the M&C tracks and just west of Montgomery Pike/Carthage Avenue,
near the northwestern corner of Section 34 of Columbia Township.
Previously the land was probably that part of Lydia A. Drake's north
of the tracks. Today the Norwood Lateral occupies it, the site being
west of the Montgomery Road bridge and south of Sanker Boulevard.
- CHARLES W. BAKER'S 1ST SUBDIVISION OF IVANHOE [7/39]
- CHARLES W. BAKER'S 2ND SUBDIVISION (OF IVANHOE) [7/80]
- CHARLES W. BAKER'S 3RD SUBDIVISION (OF IVANHOE) [7/125]
- EMMA BAKER'S ESTATE [16/54]
- BAKER'S 1ST SUBDIVISION [68/7]
- CATHERINE BELL'S SUBDIVISION OF LOT 4, PARVIN, BOLLES & LANE'S
Three (or four?) lots, 100 feet, or so, from the intersection of
Indian Mound Avenue and Buxton Avenue, on the south side of Indian
BOFINGER & HOPKINS
- BOFINGER & HOPKINS (1ST SUBDIV. OF) SOUTH NORWOOD [6/100]
- BOFINGER & HOPKINS 2ND SUBDIVISION SOUTH NORWOOD [7/67]
- BOFINGER & HOPKINS 3RD SUBDIVISION SOUTH NORWOOD [7/102]
- BOFINGER & HOPKINS 4TH (SUBDIV. SOUTH NORWOOD) [6/191]
- BOFINGER & HOPKINS — 1ST SUB. DRAKE TRACT [7/54]
- BOFINGER & HOPKINS — 2ND SUB. DRAKE TRACT [7/55]
- BOFINGER & HOPKINS — 1ST SUB. MCGREGOR PARK [18/43]
- BOFINGER & HOPKINS — 2ND SUB. MCGREGOR PARK [21/29]
- BOFINGER & HOPKINS HUTCHINS TRACT [11/59]
- BOFINGER & HOPKINS SUBDIVISION OF H. T. MILLER'S [8V2/6]
- BURGOYNE'S IVANHOE ADDITION [7/28]
a.k.a. J. Burgoyne, Jr. Admr.
This subdivision was bordered on the north by Williams Avenue, on the
west by Montgomery Road, on the south by L. Cordes' of L. C. Hopkins
Subdivision (on the north side of Wayland Avenue) and on the east by
that part of H. Q. Cleneay's Sunnyside Subdivision on the west side of
- JOHN BURGOYNE, JR. NORWOOD HEIGHTS [8V2/58]
- J BURGOYNE SUBDIVISION OF 30 & 31 MORSE LOTS
- CATHEDRAL PARK SUBDIVISION [27/60]
Located in the Hannaford Avenue area.
- CARTHAGE-VARLEMAN SUBDIVISION
- CLENEAY'S SUNNYSIDE SUBDIVISION [6/150] & [9/10]
Sunnyside is bordered by Montgomery Road on the west, Williams Avenue
on the north, Elsmere Subdivision (at Regent Avenue) on the east, and
the Cincinnati & Eastern Railroad (later named the Ohio and
Northwestern Railway) on the south. The northern part of this
subdivision was actually bounded by L. Cordes' (Addition) of L. C.
Hopkins Subdivision and Burgoyne's Ivanhoe Addition. Sunnyside was
created by Harry Quinton Cleneay around 1887.
- LOUIS CORDES' ADDITION OF L. C. HOPKINS' SUBDIVISION [10/58]
This Ivanhoe subivision was bounded on the west by Montgomery Road, on
the north by Burgoynes' Ivanhoe Addition, and on the east and south by
H. Q. Cleneay's Sunnyside Subdivision. The lots were situated on both
sides of Wayland Avenue, between Montgomery Road and almost to Regent
- MARY A. DACEY'S SUBDIVISION [21/44]
a.k.a. DACEY'S SUBDIVISION
This subdivision was located at the north of Lodder Subdivision at the
planned Rookwood Exchange development.
- DALEWOOD SUBDIVISION [18/6] part may be in Norwood
- DALEWOOD SUBDIVISION of THE DALE TRACT [27/6]
- DICKS, ET AL, E. NORWOOD [7/128]
a.k.a. EAST NORWOOD SYNDICATE'S W. H. DICKS SUBDIVISION)
- WM DURRELL 1ST SUBDIVISION OF IVANHOE [5/307]
This subdivision was located on the west side of Montgomery Pike,
south of Williams Avenue, east of Huston Avenue and north of Mentor
Avenue. The C.L.&N. tracks went through this land, crossing
Mentor, Ivanhoe and Williams Avenues. The Ivanhoe Depot was located on
the southeast corner of Williams and Ivanhoe Avenues, on the
northwestern side of the tracks (currently the back lot of the United
Dairy Farmers' plant).
- WM DURRELL [6/11]
- WM DURRELL 2ND SUBDIVISION OF IVANHOE either [6/350] or [6/35]?
- WM DURRELL JR., 2ND OF LOTS 4 TO 7 & 15 OF WM. DURRELL'S 1ST
ELSMERE - formerly the Cavagna Farm, located between Duck Creek
and Williams Avenue (previously named Locust Ave.); the northern part of
this subdivision (to the northern line of Hudson Avenue) was annexed to
the Village of Norwood soon after the property was purchased; the rest
of the subdivision was annexed later.
1889 advertisements for Elsmere Subdivision]
- ELSMERE [8V2/35]
- JOHN G. BROTHERTON [6/179]
- ELSMERE & DICKS SUBDIVISION
- HENRY FELDMAN NORWOOD [6/72]
- HENRY FELDMAN NORWOOD R. E. IMPROVEMENT [15/83]
HALLOWELL (several spellings indicate these may be the same
- HALLOWELL [21/55]
- HOLLOWELL'S SUBDIVISION
- J. HALLEWELL'S SUBDIVISION (Deed Book 145/Page 356)
- E. C. HEDGER SUBDIVISION [4/206] also in [14/131] (est. 1873 or
Established in 1876 (1873?), this subdivision may have part of the
area named "Norwood" proper or "old Norwood,"
before the Village was incorporated in 1888.
The title of this subdivision on the county plat book was
"Addition to Norwood by Emiline Hedger and Others." The
document was received and recorded on November 8, 1876. The developers
were Geo. Hafer, William N. Hobart, E. F. Bradford, Esq., and W. B.
This subdivision appears to have had 89 lots and was located between
Section Avenue, on the west, and almost to Montgomery Road, on the
east. The lots on the south side of Elm Avenue defined the southern
extent; the lots on the north side of Maple Avenue marked the northern
limit. Elm and Maple, which were located between Section Avenue and
Montgomery Road were entirely within the subdivision (except for the
properties adjacent to Montgomery Road). Station Avenue, which at the
time was located only between Elm Avenue and a road parallel to the
railroad tracks of the M. & C. R. R. leading from Montgomery Road
to the train depot, was within the subdivision's boundaries (except
from the northern edge of the Maple Avenue properties to the tracks).
- HOME OWNER'S SUBDIVISION, REG. LAND (CERT. 183) [1/3]
This subdivision was listed in a 1977 compilation of subdivisions, but
it has not been verified that it is in Sharpsburg. However, it is
recorded by the Hamilton County Recorder. If true, it would have been
the first in the Sharpsburg/Norwood area.
The Norwood Historical Society has a book of plats (Cabinet A, Drawer
4; Hamilton County Auditor's Plat Books, City of Norwood, Book No.
523). On page 4 (Norwood Heights area) is a reference to Plat Book 1,
- L. C. HOPKINS (from Geo. Maxwell et. al) [3/83]
- L. C. HOPKINS (from Maxwell and Jordan) [3/102]
This appears to be in Section 34, Columbia Township, and
Section 3, Millcreek Township, possibly in the Ivanhoe Subdivision.
- L. C. HOPKINS 1ST NORWOOD (at Waverly?) [4/180]
- L. C. HOPKINS 2ND NORWOOD [4/182 & 4/183]
- L. C. HOPKINS 3RD NORWOOD [4/204]
- L. C. HOPKINS 4TH NORWOOD [4/218]
The preceding four subdivisions were in, or adjacent to, Ivanhoe,
which was later annexed by the Village of Norwood.
- L. C. HOPKINS EAST NORWOOD [5/272] (est. 1881?)
This development was located north of the B&O (earlier M&C)
tracks and along the new Cincinnati & Northern (later Cincinnati,
Lebanon & Northern) tracks, south of Highland Avenue and east of
Langdon's subdivision. It may have been the first subdivision of East
- HUSSEY & HACKETT SUBDIVISION
- EAST IVANHOE SUBDIVISION
- IVANHOE SYNDICATE SUBDIVISION [6/182]
- J. G. LANGDON'S SUBDIVISION [3/32] (est. 1868)
This property was platted around 1868 and was located just north of
the M&C tracks, just east of Montgomery Pike, south of Highland
Avenue, and a short distance west of the later Wesley Avenue, in the
northern part of Section 34 of Columbia Township. The land was
previously owned by W. Holt. The southern half of the land is now part
of the Norwood Lateral and the northern portion is most of that land
between Highland, Wesley and Norwood Avenues and Montgomery Road. The
first train station and post office were located here before the name
Sharpsburg was replaced by Norwood.
- SUBDIVISION BY THE LANGDON REALTY CO. [23/63]
This appears to be just a replatting of most of the land of the
original 1868 Langdon Addition to Sharpsburg Subdivision, north of the
B. & O. R.R. tracks, but, with the inclusion of the old ballpark
land, south of the tracks and later used by General Motors.
The Norwood Historical Society has a formal drawing approved by
Norwood City Engineer on February 17, 1917; approved by Norwood City
Council by ordinance on March 5, 1917; and recorded in Plat Book 23 on
March 15, 1917.
Northern part of the 1917 map, showing the
original 1868 Langdon Addition to Sharpsburg Subdivision
Other information on the drawing were:
- H. E. Langdon was the President of this realty company; Tract
"A" is the undivided 15.08 acres south of the B. &
O. R.R., east of Smith Road, and the numbered lots appear to be
part of the original 1868 Langdon Addition to Sharpsburg,
excluding the lots on Montgomery Road and north of Norwood Avenue
(except lot 16) and some property on Harris Avenue
- The lots are somewhat different than the original subdivision,
for the following reasons: the angled Cross Street was replaced by
an extension of the east-west Norwood Avenue; the angled Langdon
Avenue was replaced with a north-south Langdon Avenue; the angled
western section of Highland Avenue, after the bend at Langdon
Avenue, was replaced with an east-west part, and Malcom Avenue was
added to connect West Alley with Langdon Avenue.
- The only lots remaining the same were those along Montgomery
Road —numbers 4-12— although a small corner of 4 was cut for
Norwood Avenue and a small piece of 3, along Montgomery Road, was
saved and renamed 16, and the top part of 12 was modified when
Highland was changed.
- At the same time of this "plat of subdivision," the
company also agreed to "dedicate the streets, avenues and
alleys adjacent to said tract and lots in accordance with said
plat, and consent to the vacating of any public right of way
thorough or adjacent to said tracts or lots and not designated on
- LAURA LANE SUBDIVISION OF PTS. LOTS 29 & 30 of HALLEWELL'S
- LEHMAN & ARMSTRONG'S SUB., NORWOOD HEIGHTS [23/18]
Around Quatman Avenue.
- H. J. LEHMAN'S 1ST SUBDIVISION OF NORWOOD HEIGHTS [24/67]
- H. J. LEHMAN'S 2ND SUBDIVISION OF NORWOOD HEIGHTS [24/72]
- LESLIE PARK ADDITION TO NORWOOD [9/48]
Located in South Norwood around Floral, Cameron and Monroe Avenues.
- ROBERT LESLIE [11/62]
In the Hopkins Ave. area.
- LESLIE & DICK [12/24] & [12/55]
In the Ida Avenue area.
These may be different names for the same subdivision.
- LODDER SUBDIVISION
- FRED J. LODDER SUBDIVISION [26/9]
This subdivision was located at the southern part of the land between
Williams Avenue and Edmondson Avenue. The northern part was the Dacey
Subdivision. Today, the Lodder Subdivision has been largely demolished
to make way for the planned Rookwood Exchange development.
- MARY E. LUGINBUHL SUB [27/16]
- (ALBERT?) MCCULLOUGH'S SUB-TRACT [20/27]
McCullough's Subdivision appears to be made up of the lots between
Indian Mound Avenue and the drive running west from the Mound, north
of the water towers and tennis courts. Originally this was the
northern part of the Parvin, Bolles and Lane Subdivision's Lot 5.
- MIDHURST SUBDIVISION [13/102]
(100 ft. x 400 ft. on north side of Highland Avenue)
- EDWARD MILLS 1ST [17/22]
- EDWARD MILLS 2ND [17/75]
- EDWARD MILLS 3RD [20/8]
- EDWARD MILLS 4TH [19/72]
- EDWARD MILLS 5TH [26/45]
- EDWARD MILLS OF LOT A [18/18]
- EDWARD MILLS OF LOTS 1 TO 4 [26/49]
- EDWARD MILLS OF LOTS 134 TO 137, 141 & 142 [26/43]
- EDWARD MILLS OF LOTS 16 & 17 [25/8]
- EDWARD MILLS OF LOTS 75 TO 79 [25/8]
- EDWARD MILLS OF LOTS 8-12 [25/8]
- ELIZABETH MILLS ESTATE 1ST [LS171/467]
- ELIZABETH MILLS 2ND PER ADMR [20/52]
- ELIZABETH MILLS 3RD PER ADMR [23/55]
MILLS & KLINE
- MILLS & KLINE 1ST OF BAKER ESTATE [3/22]
This subdivision was probably located in what is now called "West
- MILLS & KLINE 2ND OF BAKER ESTATE [3/134]
- MILLS & KLINE 3RD OF BAKER ESTATE [3/177]
- MILLS & KLINE 4TH OF BAKER ESTATE [3/203]
- MILLS & KLINE 1ST NORWOOD [6/80]
- MILLS & KLINE 2ND NORWOOD [7/81]
- MILLS & KLINE 3RD NORWOOD [6/82]
- MILLS & KLINE 4TH NORWOOD [7/25]
- JAMES MITCHELL'S SUBDIVISION [12/35]
The part of the triangular block between Montgomery Road, Carthage
Avenue and Ross Avenue from a point across from the southern curb of
Highland Avenue, south to the intersection of Montgomery Road and
Carthage Avenue. It included the Arnold Building.
- MOUNDVIEW SUBDIVISION [32/34]
South of Indian Mound Avenue on all sides of Moundview Drive.
- MOUNDVIEW DRIVE SUBDIVISION
East of Charles F. Neads Subdivision to the Corporation line, along
that northernly part of Moundview Drive north of Indian Mound Avenue.
- CHARLES F. NEAD'S SUBDIVISION OF PT. LOT 15, PARVIN, BOLLES &
LANE'S SUBDIVISION [26/8]
Land on all sides of Roseland Mound and parts of adjacent Sheridan
Drive, starting across from Wakefield Place and east to about halfway
between Roseland Mound and Indian Mound Avenue.
- NORWOOD HEIGHTS (PROPOSED/NOT RECORDED) <00/00>
(see PARVIN, BOLLES & LANE)
Although the County's web site gives no plat listing for a subdivision
with this name, an index of deeds for Section 35 of Columbia Township
places the Parvin, Bolles & Lane subdivision at W. B. Ferguson's
Farm in Plat Book 3, page 144. Today, most of what is commonly called
"Indian Mound" was originally the Norwood Heights
Subdivision. Much later, other subdivisions using the name
"Norwood Heights" were platted (see following).
- NORWOOD HEIGHTS BY L. BREVER [9/64]
- NORWOOD HEIGHTS COMPANY OF THALE TRACT BY FRANK LESOURD [22/64]
- NORWOOD HEIGHTS COMPANY SUBDIVISION
Located in East Norwood, between Montgomery Pike, the junction of the
railroads, Harris Avenue to the south, and Highland Avenue to the north.
- NORWOOD HIGHLAND SYNDICATE [7/78]
- NORWOOD HIGHLAND SYNDICATE 2ND SUBDIVISION [8V1/3]
- NORWOOD PARK 1ST [9/51]
- NORWOOD PARK 2ND [12/45]
- NORWOOD REAL ESTATE & IMPROVEMENT COMPANY [15/83]
- NORWOOD VIEW SUBDIVISION [14/105]
- NORWOOD VIEW 1ST ADDITION [14/156]
Norwood's initial incorporation as a village [8/27-28] — 1888
Although this was not actually a subdivision plat, it is included
since it is the plat map for the Village of Norwood. It was drawn from
a combining of the plat maps of the subdivisions within Section 34 of
Columbia Township. Every subdivision created before this was just a
part of Columbia or Millcreek Townships — there was no Village of
Norwood, and Sharpsburg was never incorporated. At this time, there
may have been over 40 subdivisions in what would eventually become the
City of Norwood — not all of which were included in the initial
incorporation. After this time, some newly created subdivisons may not
have been part of Norwood, either, until one of the annexations. For
example, part of Elsmere Subdivision was made part of Norwood in the
village's first annexation in 1889. The remainder of Elsmere was
absorbed by the second annexation in 1891.
- PARMELEE PLACE SUBDIVISION OF LOT 7, PARVIN, BOLLES & LANE'S
On both sides of Parmelee Place, between Wakefield Place and Indian
PARVIN, BOLLES & LANE
- PARVIN, BOLLES & LANE [3/144] (original Norwood Heights) &
This property was previously the W. B. Ferguson farm in the
southeastern corner of Section 35 of Columbia Township. The property
was acquired by Parvin, Bolles and Lane and platted in 1869. Being
named "Norwood Heights," it was the first subdivision to use
the name "Norwood." The Hedger Subdivision, which was
platted in 1876, may have taken the name "Norwood," since
1887-88 newspaper references to the community at or around that
subdivision was "old Norwood." In 1881, the L. C. Hopkins
platted the first subdivision in East Norwood, and around 1885,
Bofinger & Hopkins started work on South Norwood. A community,
between "old Norwood" and Ivanhoe, called West Norwood was
also started early. A village of this name —Norwood— was
incorporated in 1888, encompassing all of Section 34 (the section of
Columbia Township south of Norwood Heights). Soon after, Norwood
Heights was annexed to the Village of Norwood.
- PARVIN HEIRS, RE-SUB OF PARVIN, BOLLES & LANE [23/6]
- SUBDIVISION OF PARVIN, BOLLES & LANE'S LOT 17 [26/8]
RONDA HEIGHTS SUBDIVISIONS
- RONDA HGTS 1ST SUBDIVISION
- RONDA HGTS 4TH SUBDIVISION BLK A
- JAMES L. (S.?) ROOSA SUBDIVISION [3/86 or 3/85?]
There was a Jas. L. Roosa Subdivision on the triangular block between
Montgomery Road, Carthage Avenue and Ross Avenue. It included the land
from Ross Avenue, south to a point across from Highland Avenue.
Directly to the south, on the "tip" of the triangle, was the
James Mitchell Subdivision.
- JOHN H. SANKER ESTATE SUBDIVISION
- SHEPHERD'S SUBDIVISION of LOT 16, PARVIN, BOLLES & LANE'S
Between Montgomery Road, Sheridan Drive, Wakefield Place to across
from Parmalee Place and then back to Montgomery Road.
- SLANE'S SUBDIVISION (of Waverly Place [4/16] ?)
- SLANE'S 2ND SUBDIVISION
- ANNA B. SLANE'S SUBDIVISION
- SLANE'S SOUTH NORWOOD SUBDIVISION
- SOUTH NORWOOD SYNDICATE SUBDIVISION
- STEWARD PARK SUBDIVISION
Most land between Montgomery Road and Steward Park Place (south of
Buxton Avenue and north of Highland Avenue) and along the east side of
Steward Park Place.
- SUNNYSIDE SUBDIVISION [6/150] & [9/10]
(see CLENEAY'S SUNNYSIDE SUBDIVISION)
- HENRY THOMPSON SUBDIVISION (remainder) [1/103]
This subdivision was also listed in the 1977 compilation. The note
"remainder" seems to indicate that it was a continuation of
a previous subdivision - possibly the "Home Owners'
Subdivision." It is recorded with the Hamilton County Recorder's
- GEORGE A. TURRILL SUBDIVISION [8V2/18]
Starting at the intersection of Montgomery Road and Indian Mound
Avenue and going south to Buxton Avenue, south for a distance then
going east across Marion Avenue to Grandview Place and then a
distance, then roughly north parallel to Grandview Place to Indian
Mound Avenue and then along that street back to Montgomery Road. (Some
documents give the spelling as "Turrell.")
- (TUNIS) VAN MIDDLESWORTH ESTATE SUBDIVISION [4/158]
- WALTELLA PLACE SUBDIVISION
From the intersection of Montgomery Road and O'Brien Place, then along
a line to the western end of Wakefield Place, back to Montgomery Road
and then back to the starting point. Waltella Place, off O'Brien Place
runs into the center of the subdivision.
- A. L. WILLIAMS SUBDIVISION
- WOODBURN AVENUE SYNDICATE (Lots 25-61 are in southwestern Norwood;
the rest are in Cincinnati)
- WOOLEY SUBDIVISION (East Norwood?)
- J. T. WRIGHT'S SUBDIVISION (Lots 1-14 and 18-30 are in southwestern
Norwood; the rest are in Cincinnati)