James Lynn was born near Delaware Ohio February 2, 1857, and died at his home in Paulding Ohio November 23, 1925, aged 68 years, 9 months and 11 days.
Besides his many friends, he leaves to love and revere his memory 4 children: Frank Lynn, of Fort Wayne; Mrs. Lulu Jensen, of Santa Monica, California, whose mother died when they were very young; Mrs. Ray M. Burke and Mrs. Harry I. Hoffman, who, along with their mother, reside in Paulding.
Mr. Lynn was left an orphan at the age of 5 years, and besides being deprived of the loving care of father or mother, he suffered many hardships while being raised by strangers.
His opportunity for attending school was very meager but his keen perception and sound judgment enabled him to profit largely from the lessons learned in the school of experience; and his life was a living example of the fact that hard work, honesty and perseverance can overcome obstacles, which to a weaker character would seem to be insurmountable.
After being raised on a farm, he learned the blacksmith trade when a young man, and for a number of years he worked diligently at his chosen calling, two years of this time being spent in the west.
In the year of 1880, he returned east and located at Jerome, Ohio where he was united in marriage to Miss Anna Cook on March 5, 1883. To this union 3 children were born, one of whome, Gerson, died at the age of 8 years.
About 40 years ago, Mr. Lynn came to Paulding where he worked as a blacksmith for 4 years, and then started a tile mill, where the Klingler mill now is, and operated it for 14 years. His vision for large things was now beginning to influence his life and it was during this time that he, seeing the value of Paulding county land, bought and sold several farms.
He was an enterprising citizen always; and it was also during this time he, with several others, who had the courage of their convictions, formed the Lynn Oil Company, which drilled several wells, and from them they supplied the Village of Paulding with natural gas for a while, after which they re-organized and formed the Paulding Gas Light and Fuel Company, which is still operating.
He took an interest in the public affairs of his town, having served several terms on the Village council, and his faith in the community in which he lived is evidenced by the fact that he built, owned and improved in Paulding 4 residences, and 2 business rooms, and it is also well known by all the older residents here, how well he bore his share of the labor, expense and sacrifices in building the church we are now in.
About 20 years ago he became interested in road and street work, his keen vision showing him that good roads must always go hand in hand with progress and enterprise, and since that time he has built in Paulding county 67 miles of stone pike and 6 miles of concrete road in Mercer county.
Thus it will be seen that his was a busy life until 1923, when his failing health compelled him to retire from active work.
Of his character and honesty and public spirit, little need be said as this is all well known by his neighbors and friends, but as he was of retiring disposition, his love for his family, his liberality, utter unselfishness, self sacrifice and great heartedness can only be known by those having been intimately associated with him, and those to whom he has lent a helping hand.
He said little, but did much and there are many traits of his character which might well be taken as an ideal by any young man who wants to live a useful and successful life.
He was a member of the Masonic bodies of Paulding, Commandery of Knights Templar in Defiance, and, when a young man he joined the Methodist church and continued in that faith until his death.
During the last 10 years he has been a constant sufferer, never a day passing without discomfort, yet he never complained at his lot, but always expressed sympathy with others in trouble and his last words said to his loving wife, whose faithful hands were lifting his head, "That is better," show that he was not thinking of his own suffering but of love and appreciation for his tender care.
Funeral services were held in the Methodist church Friday afternoon, Rev. Jacob Hoffman, a former pastor and long time friend of the family, officiating, assisted by Rev. A H. Rothbrock, the present pastor. Rev. Hoffman delivered a very able sermon on the theme of Future Life at the close of which he paid a personal tribute to the worth and memory of his departed friend.
The Defiance Commandery No. 30 Knights Templar then took charge of the ceremonies using the beautiful burial rites of the order. Widow's Son Lodge No. 71 F. & A. M, attended the funeral services in a body and escorted the remains to their last resting place in the Paulding mausoleum.
Those present at the funeral services from out of town were: Mr. and Mrs. Adrian Cook, Delaware, O.; Mr. Henry Hudson, Columbus, O.; Mr. Albert Sharp, Dublin, O.; Mr. and Mrs. Frank Lynn, Fort Wayne, Ind.; Rev. J.A. Hoffman and family, Hillsboro, O.; Mr. and Mrs. Carlos Burke, Napoleon, Ohio.
CARD of THANKS ~ Mrs. Lynn and children wish to take this opportunity to thank their many friends and neighbors for their assistance, kind words of sympathy and many beautiful floral tributes.
** James Lynn married Harriet Warner, his first wife, Sept. 12, 1875. Frank Edward Lynn 1876-1940, Nellie Lynn 1877-1878, and Lulu Louise Lynn 1880-1956. Harriet died in 1883 and James took her to Newton, Kansas for two years where his brother Samuel and Samuel's family lived. He boarded with a family called Herby, asking them to take care of his daughter Lulu as he worked. He eventually asked them to raise her and left her with them when he returned to Ohio.
(Obituary and biographical info submitted by Helen Schwartz, Bremerton, WA)