Paulding county was not settled until the late 1800's, in spite of the arrival of the canals in 1840's because of the marshlands. The settlers would commonly complain of an illness, which they named the Black Ague. It mostly afflicted them from the middle of August to the middle of October, during the rainy season. It is commonly believed that this illness was malaria.
The land was described in the late 1800's as "low, wet swampy, heavily timbered with oak, black ash, elm and cottonwood." It is the most level county in the state. Stave factories caused the clearing of the county which changed into farm land. Population in 1830 - 161. Population in 1900 - 2080.
The first court was held in 1840 at Rochester which contained about 20 families. The county seat then moved to Charloe in 1841, then to Paulding.
The first trading house in the county was opened by Thomas P. Quick to trade with the Indians.
Grover Hill had a populaton of 655 in 1900. Kilns were built to build charcoal iron. The kilns were shaped like old-fashioned beehives.
Paulding was the headquarters of the hoop manufacturing business.
To learn more about life in the early days of Paulding county be sure to read an exerpt:
"Life Story of Harvey Tucker Emerick"