Jackson Township's History
Jackson Township was settled early in the present century, being a few years behind Pee Pee and Seal Townships. It was one of the original townships of Pike County being among those formed by the County Commissioners at the first meeting.
Jackson Township lies in the northeastern part of the county, on both sides of the Scioto River. Ross County located on the north side, on the east by Jackson County, on the south by Beaver Township, and on the west by Seal and Pee Pee Townships. The valley of the Scioto covers a large portion of the township. It is second in wealth of the townships and its land are assessed next to the highest, Pee Pee Township leading in assessed valuation only. This township is not only blessed with plenty of water by the Scioto flowing north and south but with plenty of timber, coal, some iron ore and the finest agricultural land in the county. Thus in agriculture, minerals, wood and water, Jackson may be said to be the best township of land and resources in the county. It has area of 32,160 acres of land - very much the largest township in the county. Its assessed valuation is given for the year 1882 on lands, $523,431. on personal property $274,757. Population in 1840 - 1,096; in 1850 - 1,465; in 1860 - 1,395; in 1870 - 1,840 and in 1880 - 2067. It has the largest colored population of any in the county.
Sharonville - this hamlet lies on the north bank of the Scioto River, and on the outer edge of the Great, or Horseshoe Bend of that stream. It is the oldest settlement, one of the earliest in the northern part of the county.
Jackson Township has the largest number of schools in the county, among the number being three for colored children of the township.
Among the early pioneers the names of the following have been remembered: John PANCAKE, Sr. John PANCAKE, JR; Joseph FOSTER, SR & wife, Joseph FOSTER, Jr., Isaac PANCAKE, Daniel SLALIN and wife, James DAVIS and wife, David CONDON, Walter D. WILLIAMS and wife, Samuel CORWINE and wife, Abraham RHOADES and wife, Alexander McMILLAN and wife, Jonathan ALDRIDGE, Mrs. Nancy DONAHUE, Thomas FOSTER and wife, Elijah MICHEL and wife, and Abijah HARTLEY and wife.
Township Officers in 1853 as follows: Trustees, B. F. CORWINE, Eli BROWN and Wm. A. JONES; Treasurer, Thomas DAY; Clerk, W. D. WILLIAMS; Assessor, N. A. WINKS, Constables, John SNODGRASS and N. A. WINKS; Justices of the Peace, S. H. A. LUKNENS and W. D. WILLIAMS.
In 1883 Officers were: Trustees, John BLAIN, Geo W. WOOD and John W. OVERLY; Treasurer, W. A. JONES; Clerk, R. S. McCOPPIN; Assessor, J. P. TALBOT; Constables, W. H. DYKE and Thomas H. SMITH; Justices of the Peace, R. S. McCOPPIN and Samuel BROWN.
Names of some of the earlier churches were: The Sharonville Methodist Episcopal Church; The Omega Christian Church; The HIXON Run Methodist Episcopal Church; The Bethesda Christian Church of Sharonville; Mt Vernon Baptist Church; Jerusalem Christian Union; Mt Sinai Baptist Church, Colored; United Brethren in Christ, Colored; Philadelphia Missionary Baptist, Colored.
(Abstracts from the History of the Lower Scioto Valley, Ohio 1884)
Back to Jackson Township
Copyright © 2001
Pike Co. Genealogical Society
P O Box 224, Waverly, Ohio 45690