Pebble Township's History
Pebble is the third largest township in Pike County and the oldest after the original six. When the County was created in 1815, it was divided into Seal, Pee Pee, Jackson, Mifflin, Beaver and Sunfish Townships.
That division remained until 1821, when Pebble was organized. In the election held the following October, the two clerks were Enoch PARRILLl and John DEVORSS (DeVOSS?). The election judges were Daniel DEVORSS, William YOUNG and Joseph PENISTEN.
The PENISTENS were among the earliest settlers in the area of Pebble Township. Joseph PENISTENS came to Ohio from Kentucky. His first wife was Jerusha LUNBECK. She died in 1830 and Joseph later married Sarah Ann HILL. All three are buried in PENISTEN Cemetery. One of Joseph’s daughter’s Joanna PENISTEN, married Washington TAYLOR who was born in Virginia. He came to Ohio as a child.
Other early names are: LIGHTLE, POLLARD, NEWLAND, LEETH, WALDREN, KELLISON, VINCENT, LAWSON and CUSSIN. Peter and Nancy J. LIGHTLE, David and Elizabeth LAWSON and William and Ellen Bryan NEWLAND are buried in LEETH Creek Cemetery. Many ASBAUGHS, CUSSINS, POLLARDS, and VINCENTS are buried in Mt LATHAM Cemetery.
Though life on the frontier was hard, many of the pioneers lived to a good old age. During their life – span, they witnessed many changes. The wilderness was tamed, "rapid transit" came with the building of the Ohio Erie Canal, communities grew as more and more people came west.
Pee Pee School was one of the earliest in Pike County. It was a log building built on Pee Pee Creek about 1816.
The earliest Methodist Episcopal Church in Pebble Township was organized about the same time as the township. The small congregation met first in the home of William WARD on Pee Pee Creek. Later they held meetings in the Pee Pee School, and later, in 1872 Pee Pee Chapel was built.
No – Name United Brethren Church was organized as early as 1830, meeting in homes until a log meeting place was built around 1840. Other churches were organized as the population increased, until by the 1880’s there were at least ten churches in the township.
In the 1840 census the population of Pebble Township was 504, that was quite an increase over 1822, when the taxes paid for that year by the entire township were only $30.10. Two small villages grew up in the early years. BUCHANAN lies near the center of the township, at the crossroads of two main trails. Idaho is located in the southwest corner where Pebble joins Benton, Sunfish and Newton Townships.
Most of this area is hilly with small creek valleys and hollows. Two high points shown on H. W. OVERMAN’S map of 1883 are LONG Knob and BIVENS Knob. Pee Pee Creek and its branches spread out over the central and eastern part of the township. LEETH and No-Name Creeks are to the west.
The early settlers found a well-watered area with plenty of wild game, though not much level farmland. Travelers to this part of Pike County nowadays often come to admire the scenery. One of the most beautiful views in the county is on Rt 220 West from Waverly, coming down Idaho Hill into the lovely creek valley where the village of Idaho is located. It is a favorite Sunday drive of Pike Countians, especially in the fall when the foliage is brilliant with its autumn colors.
Perhaps our pioneer ancestors also took time from their hardships to appreciate the beauty of their surroundings.
Copyright Ó 1989 of
Pike Co. O. G. S.
P. O. Box 224, Waverly, Oho 45690