PEE PEE TOWNSHIP HISTORY
This township is one of the original townships of Ross County, and was organized when that count was formed, in the year 1798. If extended to the southeast corner of Ross County, which includes the present township of Seal, Jackson, Beaver. When Pike County was organized, Pee Pee was retained as a name for a township in Pike County, the original townships being Pee Pee, Jackson, Sunfish, Mifflin, Seal and Washington. The latter dropped out altogether.
Pee Pee Township is the wealthiest in the county, and has also within its border the county seat, Waverly. It is bounded on the north by Ross County; on the east by Jackson Township and the Scioto River, which separates a part of it from Seal Township on the south by the river and a small portion of Newton Township and on the west by Pebble Township. There are six larger townships in the county and five smaller. In area it has 18,694 acres, including the special school district and the corporation of Waverly.
The valuation of personal property in 1882 was a total of $382,707. In 1882 the real estate was assessed at $335,149; the special school district, $150,898; and the corporation, $383,415; personal property, $422,253 total, $1,291,715.
The township like others which lie on the Scioto River, has her rich bottomlands away from the river on the west it is hilly. There are plenty of the celebrated Waverly sandstones within its limits and quarries have been opened and are yet worked at a profit. It is well watered by Pee Pee Creek and its branches in the south and west, and Crooked Creek flows from its northern borders nearly south, passing within the corporate limits at Waverly, and empties into the Scioto River south of that town.
The Scioto Valley Railroad and the Ohio Southern each pass through the township, the former running southwest some four miles and crossing the Scioto River within a mile of Waverly. The records of the township show little of historical note. In the first records in March 1834, the trustees were: John Row, C. G. Crummit and Mescheck Downing.
In 1839 the school tax for Pee Pee Township was placed at $342.38, and apportioned among three of the four districts: There are now six sub-districts outside of Waverly. The growth of Pee Pee Township has been steady, if you include the city of Waverly. Only one decade, between 1860 and 1870, that of the Civil War, did the township out grow the city.
Much of Pee Pee Township history is included in the history of its capital town, Waverly. The canal passes through its length from northeast to southwest, following the river except at Jasper, the canal is but little used. The advent of the railroads gives excellent transportation facilities to the township, which in this respect is better than any other in the county, the two roads crossing the township.
Back to Pee Pee Township
Copyright © 1989
Pike Co. Genealogical Society
P O Box 224, Waverly, Ohio 45690