SCIOTO TOWNSHIP'S HISTORY
Scioto was the fourteenth and last township to be organized in Pike County. when the county was formed in 1815, primarily from Ross and Scioto Counties, it was divided into six townships – Pee Pee, Seal, Beaver, Jackson, Sunfish and Mifflin.
The southernmost part of Seal Township, bordering Scioto County, was organized as a separate township June 4, 1851. Since its western boundary is the Scioto River and it borders Scioto County on the South, "Scioto" was the logical name for the new township.
Two of the first township trustees were John H. Towner and I. N. Barnes, members of some of the earliest families in this area. John Tower was only ten years old when he came with his uncle, William Talbott, from Virginia around 1809. They settled first on the Pee Pee Prairie but after about two years bought land in Scioto Township which at that time was a part of Scioto County.
Some of the old family names were Peters, Daily, Moore, Sargent, Barnes, and Boydston. Most of these people came from Virginia.
In early 1800’s, the Scioto Valley was a dense wilderness. The pioneers built their first cabins back from the river, away from the flood plain, and established their cemeteries on yet higher ground. Miles, Vulgamore and DaliIy – Talbott cemeteries, for instance, are located on hills overlooking the beautiful Scioto River Valley. These family cemeteries are now abandoned. Many stones have fallen and are covered with earth and foliage, but were still readable in 1989.
William Talbott was a minister in the Methodist – Episcopal Church and served as a local preacher as well as being a farmer. He and his wife, Ann (Boydston) Talbott, were among the first settlers and are buried in the Daily – Talbott Cemetery.
John and Elizabeth (Boydston) Barnes, other early settlers, are buried in Barnes Cemetery #1, another abandoned cemetery that is located on land now owned by the Standard Slag Company.
Barnes Chapel was the first M. E. Church established in this area. Services were held there until 1874, when most of the members joined the church in Piketon.
A Methodist congregation was organized in 1835 and met in homes until a log church was built. It was named for Rev. Free, who dedicated the building.
Bailey Chapel was another Methodist Episcopal Church, organized about 1838.
Mt Gilead Church of Christ in Christian Union was organized in 1864 by Alfred Moore and met in his home until a frame structure was built the following year.
No villages were platted in the early days of Scioto Township. The farmland was interrupted only by the Scioto Valley Railroad. Big Run was a "hamlet" located along the railroad, as were Wakefield and Sargents Station.
Shyville was another early settlement, farther back from the river. The old Shy homestead was razed in the 1950’s when the A – Plant came to Pike County and changed the topography of much of Scioto Township.
Copyright Ó 1989 by
Pike Co. Genealogical Society a
Chapter of O. G. S.
P O Box 224
Waverly, Ohio 45690
Back to Scioto Twp