Seal Township History
Seal Township is one of the firsts to be settled in Pike County. It is bounded on the west and north by the Scioto River, on the east by Beaver and Jackson Townships and on the south by Union and Scioto Township.
The first schoolhouse was erected during the winter of the 1810 - 1811. It was located in the forest three miles west of Piketon.
The Chenoweth Brothers settled not far from the village of Jefferson, which was first platted in the year 1814. One year later the county of Pike was organized and named after General X. M. Pike, and the hamlet of Jefferson was called Piketon.
In 1840 Piketon had a population of 507 and was still the leading town in the county. It had three churches - Presbyterian, Methodist, and German Lutheran. It had a fair school building, four general stores and a newspaper.
The first serious drawback to the prosperity of the Town was the building of the canal west of the river leaving Piketon without a bridge to reach the canal. The removal of the county seat from Piketon to Waverly in 1861 was another serious blow to the prosperity of the Township.
The following are some of the early citizens of the Township: Rev. J. M. Adams, O. C. Andre, M.D., C. W. Bailey, John G. Barger, W. E. Barger, John M. Barnes, Noah Boiler, Henry Brown, Charles Cissna, Robert Lucas, Benjamin Daniels, R. J. Dieterich, George Downing, R. C. Emory, J. M. Foster, Alexander Gregg, Hon. John W. Gregg, George Hays, Hon. Alfred Moore, James Sargent, Snowden Sargent, Conrad Vallery and David Ware.
COPYRIGHT © 1989 by
PIKE CO. GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
A CHAPTER OF O.G.S.
P O BOX 224, WAVERLY, OHIO 45690