Sunfish Township's History
Prior to 1798, Sunfish Township was a portion of Paxton, first organized by the County Commissioners of Ross County. Paxton was afterward shorn of all its southwestern territory and some of Mifflin Township, and when Pike County was formed Sunfish became one of the first townships. The only streams with names within the township are the Chenoweth Branch or fork of Sunfish Creek and Carter's Run.
The township is very hilly and the small valleys are fairly productive and is good and easily worked land. In the valley of Chenoweth Branch are quite a number of productive farms and some of the best corn and grassland in the township. The timber in the township has a vast quality of oak, hickory and locust. The township has an area of about thirty-one and a half square miles, or acreage of 20,109 acres. This is given a valuation of only $69,559; hamlet of Your, $4,743; total, $143,929. Sunfish has a few changes in her history, but when Newton Township was formed some re-arrangement of the line between the two townships were made.
Business interest in a merchantive view is conducted by Messrs. Garman & Moorhead, on the Chenoweth Fork, and a post office is located there, Enoch Steadman, Postmaster. It was established in 1871 and called Elm Grove post office, Mr. Steadman remaining the only Postmaster. Poplar Grove established a post office in May 1872, and Sampson Shanks appointed Postmaster. It is in the northwestern part of the township and the present Postmaster is Wm. Reno.
The township was settled in about 1817 to 1818. The settlers came mostly from Virginia, a few from North Carolina and Pennsylvania. They located along the Chenoweth Fork of Sunfish, and in the small valleys.
The name of some of the early pioneers are: Samuel Mustard, James Henry, Fenton Legg, William G. Humphrey, Timothy Allen, John Shanks, Christopher Beekman, Peter Cartwright, William Henry, B. F. Henry, Richard Rittenhouse, Howell Humphreys, Samuel Carter, John Smith, Benjamin Chesnut, James Smith, Enoch Steadman, R. Wilburn, William Starritt, Samuel Cooper, James Jones, Joseph Van Meter, Joseph Mustard, John Edwards, William Starkey, Joel Jones, Robert Alexander, Richard Stanforth, William Peniston, Jacob Strickland and Elijah Grooms.
The township had a population in 1840 of 325; in 1850 - 371; in 1860 - 495; in 1870 - 628; and in 1880 - 976.
Churches listed in the township were White Oak Chapel Christian Church, a Christian Church was organized at Victory School house; The Mount Zion Christian Union Church; and the Mead School Christian Union Class.
There are five schools districts listed in the township as follows: Henry School; Smith School; Combs School; Marvin School; and Victory School.
Sunfish officers for 1838 were: Trustees, Samuel Henry, James Henry and Samuel Mustard, Treasurer, Christopher Beekman; Clerk, Samuel Mustard; Constables, Washington Henry and Thomas McGhee; Supvervision, Benj F. Henry, John Shanks and Daniel Jones; Overseers of the Poor, Timothy Allen and Jovan Beekman; Fence Viewersk Peter Cartwright, James Henry and Samuel Mustard; Justice of the Peace, Samuel Henry.
(Abstract from History of Lower Scioto Valley, Ohio - 1884)
Copyright Ó 2001
Pike Co Genealogical Society
P O Box 224, Waverly, Ohio 45690