Preble County OHGenWeb
History & Genealogy
Home › History › Courthouse History

History

Preble County was settled in 1798 by John Leslie and was established as a county in March of 1808, five years after Ohio was admitted to the Union in March of 1803, as the seventeenth state of the United States of America. The county was named for Commodore Edward Preble who served as the Commander of the American Naval Fleet in the Mediterranean during the Tripolitan War, as well as in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.

Preble County has only one city, Eaton (the county seat), which was named for William Eaton, the U.S. Consul at Tunis during the Tripolitan War. This war influenced not only the naming of the county and its only city, but the names of many streets and communities throughout the county as well.

In addition to the city of Eaton, there are several villages located in the county: Camden, College Corner, Eldorado, Gratis, Lewisburg, New Paris, Verona, West Alexandria, West Elkton, and West Manchester, and there are a dozen townships: Dixon, Gasper, Gratis, Harrison, Israel, Jackson, Jefferson, Lanier, Monroe, Somers, Twin and Washington. These communities are connected to each other and to the outside world by a network of roadways including 1-70, U.S. 127, U.S. 35, U.S. 40, and ten state routes.

Nearly three quarters of Preble County is farmland and it consistently ranks in the top ten in hog and corn production for the state of Ohio. Most of the county's communities remain small and the atmosphere is pleasantly rural.

This page was last modified:
Saturday, 25-Apr-2015 22:20:53 MDT .

You are our Visitor.