Richland Co., Ohio
Richland County People in
source: History of Knox County, Ohio. Published by A.A. Graham, 1881.
Submitted by Peggy P. (11/2008)
AMOS, JOHN F., farmer, Middlebury township, post office, Fredericktown, was born in Perry township, Richland county, in 1850, and was married in 1874 to Mary E. McNutt, who was born in Stark county in 1856. He came to Middlebury township in 1867. Mr. Amos owns an improved farm, with good buildings thereon, and is one of the prominent citizens here.
AMOS, F.A., farmer, Middlebury township, post office, Fredericktown; born in Hartford county, Maryland, in 1809, came to Richland county, Ohio, in 1836, and removed to Knox county in 1867. He was married twice and had a family of six children, viz.: Joshua, John F., Freddie P., Amanda, Mary Elizabeth, and Albert (deceased). Mr. Amos owns one of the finest farms (with excellent buildings) in Middlebury township.
AMSBAUGH, CHRISTOPHER, C., farmer, Berlin township, post office, Shaler's Mills; born in Richland county, Madison township, Ohio, in 1835, and was married in 1867 to Sarah Adams, who was born in Berlin township, Knox county, Ohio, in 1840. They have the following children: Sheridan M., born March 22, 1868; John F., March 5, 1869; Wilson C., April 9, 1870; Nathan M., June 23, 1872; Mary A., February 18, 1874; .Mice L., November 5, 1877; and Sadie E., April 6, 1880. Mr. Amsbaugh was a soldier in the late war, a member of company E, Sixty-fourth regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, and was in the following engagements: Stone River, Chickamauga, Peach Tree Creek, Jonesborough, Kennesaw Mountain, and Franklin. He was wounded at Chickamauga September 20, 1863, and was detained from service eight months and sixteen days. He was engaged in the service for three years and was honorably discharged. Mr. Amsbaugh was elected justice of the peace in 1873, was reelected in 1876, and also in 1879, and has filled the position with credit to himself and satisfactorily to the people. He is identified with the Republican party and is always ready to promote every cause that is calculated to promote the welfare of the public. He came from Richland county to Knox county February 29, 1868.
ARMSTRONG, ELIPHLET, was born May 6, 1810, in Frederick county, Maryland, but when quite young his parents moved to Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, where they remained two years; then coming to Ohio they settled in Richland county, where they spent the remainder of their days. Mrs. Armstrong died in 1825; Mr. Armstrong died in 1850. Our subject came to Mt. Vernon January 11, 1830, being twenty years old, and went to work with Richard House to complete learning his trade (carpenter). Mr. House had a contract to build the court house, on which Mr. Armstrong worked. He has been engaged at his trade ever since, mostly in Mt. Vernon, and built most of the best buildings in that city, many of which will be monuments of his mechanical skill for years to come. He was married March, 10, 1836, to Miss Tracy Irwin, by whom he had three children, one daughter and two sons, all living, and have families living in Knox county.
BEAL, DANIEL, farmer, Pike township, post office North Liberty; born in Jefferson township, Richland county, in 1831,and was married in 1854 to Leah Rhodes, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1832. They have seven children Jacob, Asa R., Charles, Harvey, Ellen, Ida, and John. Mr. Beal is a farmer, who came to Knox county in 1870.
BEAL, JACOB R., merchant, post office, Shalers Mills. He was born in Richland county in 1854, he was married in 1876 to Mary E., daughter of Rev. H. Keller, of Pike township; she was born in 1856. They have two children: Linney Viola, born August 9, 1877, and Howard M., born May 3. 1879. Mr. Beal received a liberal education, engaged in teaching school in Richland county. In 1876 he came to North Liberty, engaged in the mercantile business, continued till 1879, then came to Ankenytown, and opened a new store. He is doing a successful business. He is ticket, express, and freight agent for the Baltimore & Ohio railroad at this station.
BRADRICK, JOHN, Berlin township, farmer and carpenter, post office, Fredericktown, born in Belmont county in 1818, and was married in Richland county to Elizabeth Jane Beans, who was born in Loudoun county, Virginia, in 1822. They had five children, viz: Mortimer, born in 1849; Wilson, in 1851; Harrison, in 1854; Paul A. (deceased), in 1856; and Jonathan, jr. (deceased), in 1858. Mrs. Elizabeth J. Bradrick died in 1874. His second marriage was to Mariam Gibson (Tavenner), who was born in Loudoun county; Virginia, in 1836. Mr. Bradrick came to Richland county in 1833, and remained there till 1849, when he located in Berlin township, this county. When a young man he learned the carpenter trade; he built a barn on the farm of James Trayer in 1836, and in 1876 he built a barn on the same. location for Isaac Leedy, and has worked at his trade in different localities. Elizabeth was married to Daniel Fallen, now living in Perry township, Richland county. Catharine died in 1879. George died in 1852. Margaret was married to A. C. Huntsman, now of Richland county. Lorain is engaged in the study of medicine with Dr. Hall, of Fredericktown, and attending lectures at Chicago. Leroy is residing with his parents.
BRANYAN, J. HARVEY, Mt. Vernon, general blacksmithing, corner Front and Gay streets. Mr. Branyan is a native of Richland county. Ohio; born July 3, 1831. When about seven years old his father moved to Knox county and located about one mile west of Mt. Vernon. There he resided three years when he returned to Richland county and located three-fourths of a mile east of Shelby. After residing there three years he again moved, making a home in Crawford county. Mr. Branyan, senior, died July 5, 1845. After the death of his father young Branyan returned to Richland county and resided there for some three years, and then went to Gambier and engaged in learning the blacksmith trade with Mr. F. Penhorwood, and served three years. At the expiration of his apprenticeship he opened a shop for himself, and conducted it for two years. The four following years were spent in travelling and working as a journeyman in different places in Ohio and Indiana. After thus travelling he came to Mt. Vernon and for two years worked as a journeyman, after which he opened a shop for himself. He does a business of about two thousand dollars per year, and makes horseshoeing a specialty, having a thorough knowledge of the theory of shoeing track and draft horses, and all other departments of shoeing. He does also all kinds of job work and repairing on short notice. All work first class and warranted. Mr. Branyan has represented his ward in the city council.
BRICKER FAMILY, Liberty township. Ludwig Bricker, the grandfather of the original Brickers of Liberty township, was a soldier of the Revolution. He entered two thousand acres of land in what is now the northeast corner of Liberty township. He was a resident of Washington county, Pennsylvania. where he lived and died. Banning Norton, in his History of Knox county, says that Lewis Bricker came to Liberty township about 1810; but David Bricker says he came prior to that time, as Lewis Bricker, his brother, was born in this township in 1807. Ludwig or Lewis Bricker induced his son, Peter, and George Lewis, a relative of the family, to come out and settle the land he had entered. Accordingly they brought their families. They remained one night, and by noon the next day they were on their way back to Pennsylvania. They saw many Indians, heard the wolves howling, and the owls hooting. They agreed with their wives to let the laud go to the devil and they would return to Pennsylvania, as they thought no one would or could ever live in the Owl Creek country. He however induced some of his tribe to settle this land. He finally got Peter, George, Jacob, David, Solomon, Lewis, Catherine, Rachel, and Mrs. Lewis to come here. From these have descended the Brickers of this county, mostly. David went to Morgan township. All the original Brickers remained in this township but David.
The Bricker family became quite numerous, and it is not our purpose to write or follow up the family of each, but give such an outline of the family that it wilt be preserved to their descend, ants. Among these is David Bricker, grandson of Peter Bricker, and son of Peter Bricker, one of the first of the family who came to Ohio. He was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, October 30, 1805. His parents came, April, 1806, to Ohio. David was raised as were pioneer children, with but few educational advantages; he, however, acquired sufficient I to transact business. On the twelfth day of October 1830, he married Sarah Beam. They had nine children, five living-Malinda, Jacob, Wilson, Marshal, and Jerome. Lewis P. Bricker, one of this family, was born November 5, 1807, in what is now Liberty township. It is said he was the first white child born in this township. December 6, 1832, he was married to Sarah White. She was born July 7, 1809. They had a family of eight children-Abigail, born November 24, 1833, married Nelson Bidwell; Margaret E., born July 6, 1836, married Nicholas Darling; Ann Rebecca, born April 19, 1839, married Mortimer Hayatt; Mary Sophia, born June 5, 1841, married William Gray; Sarah E., born March 24, 1844, married John Creamer; Viola M., born July 21, 1846, married L. B. Lewis; Peter, born December 28, 1848; Alexander, born November 29, 1852.
We might go on and follow up this family, tracing the different branches, but it will suffice to say that our work does not admit of so much space being occupied by one family. The Bricker family are good citizens, industrious and well-to-do people.
BRICKER, HIRAM, Morgan township. The name Bricker is of Dutch origin. Tradition says there were three brothers came from Europe, but at what date is not exactly known. They settled in Maryland. One of the branches of the family went to eastern Pennsylvania, where quite a numerous progeny sprang up; and subsequently a number of their descendants settled in Richland county, Ohio, near Shelby, Lewis, or Ludwig Bricker, the paternal grandfather of Hiram Bricker, moved from Maryland to western Pennsylvania shortly after the Revolutionary war, in which he was a soldier. He raised a large family. Some time in the early part of 1800 he came to what is now Liberty township, Knox county, and located two thousand acres of land, and subsequently induced a number of his children to become settlers on it, although he never moved upon it. David Bricker, father of Hiram, and son of Peter, was born in Pennsylvania in 1799. He married Indiana Cox, in 1818, who was born March 8, 1798, and is yet living. Soon after their marriage they came to Liberty township, but did not remain long. About 1821 they located and settled on the farm in Morgan township, which he cleared up, and became one of the well-to-do citizens of the community. He died September 14, 1878, in Utica, where he had resided some time prior to his decease. By his marriage they had six children, viz: Elizabeth, (deceased); she was the wife of Jesse Bell; Christopher and Emeline, (deceased); Anna B., wife of Samuel Elliott; Hiram and Demas are living. Hiram was raised on the farts, was educated at the common schools, and has farmed and dealt in stock as his occupation. In April, 1853, he moved to Licking county, where he remained for twenty years. He was lieutenant of company A, One Hundred and Thirty-fifth regiment Ohio National guard, and subsequently was captain of the same. February 17, 1853, he marred Melissa Bell, daughter of Isaac Bell, of Morgan township. They had a family of twelve children, viz: David A., Isaac, (deceased when about seven years old), Catharine, (wife of R. McWilliams), Anna B., Elizabeth, (wife of Hugh Harrison), Jennie, James F., Emeline, Cary F., Laura, Charley C., and Nellie M. Mr. Bricker is well informed upon general matters, is a good farmer, and one of the substantial men of Morgan township.
BRICKER, DEMAS, Hilliar township, retired farmer, was born in Morgan township, Knox county, March 7, 1828. His youth was spent on the farm, and he attended the district schools, and spend about two years at an academy at Martinsburgh, where he was a classmate of William Windom, Secretary of the Treasury, from Minnesota. Mr. Bricker taught school for several terms. His principal business, however, has been farming and the raising of stock. He gave up farming in 1875, and removed to his present home in Rich Hill. He is, a man who is well informed; has a remarkably retentive memory; is a ready and interesting talker, and takes an interest in the questions of the day. He was married to Miss Cinderella Miller April 1, 1857. They have a family of two children.
BRICKER, MARSHALL, Milford township, thresher, son of David Bricker, a pioneer of Liberty township. He was born June 13, 1844, was raised on a farm, and remained at home until he enlisted in company F, One Hundred and Twenty-first regiment, Ohio volunteer infantry. He participated in the engagements at Perryville, Duck river, and Franklin, after which he was taken sick and was in the hospital for some time. He spent about eleven months at Indianapolis. He endeavored, with several others, to return to his regiment, but was retained. After his discharge he returned home, and has been engaged at farming and running a separator. Mr. Bricker is social and pleasant in his manners. and has the reputation of a good fellow. He married Miss Amanda Lewis, of Liberty township, November 29, 1866, and they have one child-Clara, born April 10, 1868.
BRICKER, WILLIAM M. Mr. Bricker was born in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, December 12, 1844. When about nine years old his parents emigrated to Ohio and located in Wayne county, where he resided until January 26, 1880. His first business was in the dry goods and grocery line, under the firm name of Paul Bricker & Co. In this he remained two years, when he sold out. his interest and continued as a salesman in the same house for one year more. He then engaged in the hotel business, and became proprietor of the American house, in Shreve, Wayne county, in which he continued four years. In January, 1880, he removed to Mt. Vernon, and became proprietor of the Philo House, in which he did a successful business for one year, since which he has been engaged with a nursery, selling all kinds of fruit and ornamental trees.
BRICKER, DOUGLASS, Wayne township, farmer, post office, Fredericktown, born in Clinton township. Knox county, and was married in 1874 to Hannah Bmchling, who was born in Ireland. They have three children - Fannie, born in 1875; Edward, born in 1876; and Olive, torn in 1878. Mr. Bricker came to Wayne township in 1877, and is a farmer by occupation.
BRIGGLE. ANDREW C., Berlin township, railroad employee, post office Fredericktown, born in Pennsylvania, March 22, 1845, and was married to Rebecca Furcell, who was born in Columbia county, Pennsylvania, May 11, 1844. They had five children-Ella C., born August 4, 1869; Ehua L., June 3, 1873; Jessie W., February 16, 1876; Lenora, October 3, 1878; and Thomas (deceased). They emigrated from Pennsylvania to Ohio when children, were married in Morrow county, and moved to Richland, remained there there till 1870, when they moved to Knox county, where they have since remained. Mr. Briggle is now engaged in working on the Baltimore & Ohio railroad. Louisa H. Purcell was born in Knox county, Ohio, November 26, 1856, and is now residing with her sister, Mrs. Briggle.
COLE, RACHEL, widow, Berlin township, post office, Shalers Mills, was married first to Hugh McBride and had one son, Ambrose, now a resident of Richland county. Mr. McBride died in Pike township in 1842. Mrs. Rachael McBride was afterward married to Thomas D. Brown, and had a sonThomas D., a resident of Berlin township. Mr. Thomas D. Brown died in Knox county. Mrs. Rachael Brown's third marriage was to Isaac B. Cole, of Berlin township. They had one daughter, Hannah, who was born in 1854, and was married in 1872 to Levi Grubb. They have two daughters, Nettie A., born November 25, 1872, and Bertie A., December 17, 1875. Mr. Grubb is a carpenter and farmer.
COVER, W, H„ farmer, Middlebury township, post office, Levering; born in Richland county, Ohio, in 1841, and was married in 1865 to Mary E. Courson, who was born in Richland county. He enlisted in the late war; was a member of company B, One Hundred and Sixty-third regiment Ohio volunteer infantry; was engaged about four months. Mr. Cover owns an improved, farm with excellent buildings. He is a dealer in stock and is a very prominent citizen of this township.
COX, DAVID JAMES, farmer, Pike township, post office Democracy; was born in Richland county, in 1854, and was married August 2, 1875, to Elizabeth Shultz, who was born in this county. When Mr. Cox was one year old his parents moved to Fayette county, Illinois, where they remained six years, then returned to Knox county, Brown township. In 1879 David Cox located in Amity. He owns a pleasant home, and is a good citizen .
CRUNKELTON JAMES, Pike township; farmer; post office, North Liberty; born in Wayne county, Ohio, in 1851, was married in 1870, to Catharine L. Allen, who was born in Richland county in 1851. They have four children: Curtis O., born in 1873; Harry L., in 1876; Lucinda E., in 1878, and Daniel, in 1880. They came to this county in 1854, and have lived here since that time.
CUNNINGHAM, JAMES J., Wayne township, farmer, post office Fredericktown, born in Greene township, Ashland county, April 19, 1817; married in 1845 to Nancy J. McGibbin, who was born in Pennsylvania. They had four children: Isabella, born January 26, 1847; Margaret, October 26, 1854; Alonzo, February 2, 1861; and James, July 19, 1857. Mrs. Nancy Cunningham died October 29, 1861. Mr. Cunningham's second marriage was on March 1, 1866, to Sarah Jane Taylor, who was born August 9, 1839, in Richland county. They have the following children: Eliza May, born January 9, 1867; David, September 10, 1868; Lou Verta, July 29, 1870; William, September 3, 1872; Mary Ellen. April 11, 1875; and Catharine, April 14, 1877. Mr. Cunningham came to Knox county August 28, 1866, and was engaged in the mercantile business in Fredericktown for over eight years. He afterwards moved to his farm in Wayne township, and resides there still.
DALLY, LANE, Hilliar township, farmer, was born in Hilliar township, February, 1842. He is the youngest son of John and Mary A. Dally, nee Walters, who were married in Richland county. Ohio, and in 1834 came to Hilliar and settled in the woods. They had a family of ten children. Mr. Dally died in 1869. His wife still survives him. The subject of this notice was reared on his father's farm. He was married to Miss Cypha Cumpston, of Licking county, Ohio, December 6, 1866. They have a family of five children.
DARLING, GEORGE W., Hilliar township, clothier, Centreburgh, Ohio, was born near Newville, Richland county, Ohio, January 18, 1845. He was reared on a farm. He enlisted in the Sixty-fourth Ohio volunteer infantry, company C, in 1861; he participated in the battle of Shiloh and all the battles in which his regiment and company were engaged until after the battle of Stone River. Tennessee, .when he wars taken with typhoid fever and rendered unable to do service, and was discharged. He returned home and after regaining his health he went to Bloomington, Illinois, where he enlisted in company D, Third Illinois cavalry, and served with them six months; he was then detached on General Saul Meredith's staff as private orderly, and remained as orderly until the war was over, at Paducha, Kentucky, after which he joined his regiment, and was with the expedition to Devil's lake, and thence to Fort Snelling, Minnesota, and there mustered out of service October 10, 1865, having served in the two regiments about four years. His business life commenced in 1868, in Independence, Richland county, Ohio, in a country store. He bought a half interest in the business of William Severns, his father-in-law. The firm bought produce of all kinds. He was for a time agent of the railroad at that point. In 1873 the firm lost about all their property by fire. After the fire he travelled tot some time for a woolen-mill and powder factory. In 1875 he commenced clerking for Mr. Severns, his former partner, and he remained with him until August, 1879, when he purchased a stock of clothing and came to Centreburgh, where he carries a full line of all kinds of ready made clothing, hats, caps and gentlemen's furnishing goods. He has a growing trade and carries about three thousand five hundred dollars worth of stock. He is a good business man and his customers never find a reason to complain from any misrepresentation, as he confines himself to business principles, truth and veracity. He was married to Miss Delnorta S. Severns, of Richland county. Ohio, January, 1868, and by this union they had four children, three of whom are living.
DEAN, BENJAMIN, Wayne township, farmer, post office, Fredericktown, born in Washington township, Richland county, in 1851, and was married in 1873 to Amanda Rowe, who was born in this township in 1848. Their children are James L., born April 2, 1875, and Charlie, October 23, 1878. Mr. Dean came to this county in 1868. He is one of the leading farmers of this township.
DEVOE, SAMUEL J., Pleasant township, son of Samuel and Mariam Devoe, was born in Richland county, Ohio, November 20, 1817. He came to Mt. Vernon in 1837, and commenced working at the carpenter and joiner trade, with Blake S Armstrong, and continued at his trade until 1856 or 1857; he then engaged in the manufacture of doors, sash and blinds, at Shannon's old buggy factory, which he operated successfully by horse power, until about 1866, when he attached an engine to his machinery and continued in the business until 1870 when his factory was destroyed by fire, and since that date he has been engaged in farming. On the twenty-sixth of February, 1842, he married Miss Hannah Files, of Richland county, Ohio, who was born in 1821. In the spring of 1843, they settled in Mt. Vernon where they remained until 1866, when he purchased and moved on the farm, where they are now living, situated on the Gambier road, about one and one-half miles from Mt. Vernon. They have a family of seven children, three sons and four daughters.
DETWILER, GEORGE W.. Wayne township, farmer, post office, Fredericktown, born in Richland county, Ohio, in 1845, and was married in 1869, to Lydia Cassell, who was born in Knox county. Mr. Detwiler has been a resident of this township ever since he came from Richland county, and is one of its active men. He was a soldier in the war, served out his time of enlistment and received an honorable discharge.
DUNCAN, JAMES, JR., teacher, Fredericktown, wasborn in Beaver county, Pennsylvania, in 1846; came to Ohio in 1857, and was married in 1871 to Lucy A. Mitchell, who was born in Richland county, Ohio, in 1848. They have two children: Cloyd, born in 1873, and Bessie, born in 1875. Mr. Duncan was educated at Washington and Jefferson college. He is now superintendent of the union schools, of Fredericktown. He enlisted in the late war as a member of One Hundred and Forty-second regiment, Ohio National guard, and served out his time and received an honorable discharge.
DYE, VINCENT E., blacksmith, Middlebury township, post office, Levering; born in Richland county, June 15, 1841, and was married November 13, 1874 to Ellen M. Smith, who was born September 3, 1848, in Coshocton county, Ohio. They have two children, viz.: Clyde L., born January 30, 1875; Earl W., January 14, 1878. Mr. Dye learned blacksmithing with David Paxton, and has been engaged in that business ever since he came to Waterford in 1874. He does custom work and is a first class workman, as all can testify that have employed him.
EDWARDS WILLIAM E., physician. He is the son of Moses and Catharine Edwards, he was born near the town of Union Bridge, Carroll county, Maryland, in 1827, came to Ohio with his father's family in 1832, lived in Coshocton county four years, came to Knox county in 1836. He was married to Sarah Paulina Heath, of Richland county. His father died when he was young. He supported the family until twenty-five years of age; he then engaged in the study of medicine with Dr. Aaron Edwards and attended lectures at the University of Michigan, commenced practice in Putman, Muskingum county, in the spring of 1855, came to Fredericktown in the fall of 1859, removed to Amity, this county, remained there twelve years, then returned to this place with his family, two sons and one daughter. He joined the Methodist Protestant church, afterwards united with the Methodist Episcopal church and is still a member; also a member of the Independence Division Sons of Temperance, also Ellicott Lodge 267, I. O. O. F., also No. 170 F. & A. M.
EWERS, JOHN G., Middlebury township, farmer, post office, Fredericktown, born January 22, 1815, and was married August 7, 1845, to Amanda Fidler, who was born November 5, 1826. They have the following family of children: Rebecca Jane, born September 19, 1846; Lafayette, March 19, 1850; Abner, September 12, 1852; James Fenton, February 16, 1856. Deaths-Rebecca J., September 12, 1850; Lafayette, March 19, 1861; Abner, January 18, 1855; Arminda. August 4, 18---; Martha, mother of John Ewers, March 2, 1836, aged forty-seven years five months and two days. James F. Ewers was married March 24, 1880, to Alice E. Armstrong, who was born in Richland county, Ohio, November 15, 1857.
FIDLER, DANIEL, Middlebury township, farmer, post office, Fredericktown, born in this county in 1832, and was married in 1862 to Mary J. Cross, who was born in Richland county in 1843. They had the following family: Willie, born in 1863; Bertha D., in 1866; Ida R., in 1868; E Elmina, in 1872; Minte E., in 1874, and Walter D., in 1878 Mr. Fidler was in the late war, a member of the One Hundred and Forty-second regiment, Ohio National guard, and served out the time of his enlistment. He is one of the active and prominent men of this township.FIDLER, THOMAS, retired, post office, Fredericktown, was born in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, in 1804. His parents emigrated to Belmont county, Ohio, when he was a child. He came to this county in 1824, and was married to Rebecca Shuman. They had one daughter, Arminda; she married John Ewers, and is now dead. Mrs. Fidler died in Richland county. Mr. Fidler was married (the second time) to Jane Dehart, who was born in New Jersey. Their children are: Marinda, now Mrs. James, a resident of Morrow county; Emily, deceased; Mary, deceased; Louis, deceased; Samuel A., deceased; Henry, married Mary Smith; he died in 1877; Anna, deceased; Deliah T., now Mrs. Wertz; Hannah L., now Mrs. Burson; they reside in Morrow county. Mrs. Jane Fidler died in 1872. Mr. Fidler is now living with his daughter, Mrs. Wertz. He has been a successful farmer, and has accumulated considerable wealth, and has a competency for old age. Uncle Tom, as he is familiarly called, is one of the best citizens of Middlebury township.
FISH, JOSEPH A., Middlebury township; farmer; post office, Fredericktown; born in Morrow county September 29, 1838, and married October 13, 1859, to Mary Finfrock, who was born in Richland county June 11, 1840. They have two children, viz: John F., born October 23, 1860, and Miles J., August 30, 1864. Mr. Fish came to this county in 1872. He owns a well improved farm with excellent buildings, and is one of the active men of this county.
GIBSON, HIRAM M., farmer, Berlin township, post office, Fredericktown, was born in Richland county, in a cabin, in 1845, and was married in 1874 to Clara Comfort, who was born in this county in 1851.
GREGG, ISSAC, farmer, Berlin township, post office, Shalers Mills, was born in Loudoun county, Virginia, in 1832. He came to Ohio with his parents when a child, and was married to Abigail Gibson, who was born in Richland, near the line of Knox county. Her mother died when she was two years of age; she then went to live with her grandparents, Samuel and Ruth Gibson. Mr. and Mrs. Gregg have two sons, Charles Allen and Albert Sherman. Mr. Gregg was a resident of Richland county for about two years, at the end of which time he came to Berlin township. He is a farmer by occupation
GRUBB, SAMUEL, farmer, Pike township, was born in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, in 1824, and was married in 1845 to Mary Zook, who was born in this township in 1824. They had seven children-David, born in 1846; Joseph, in 1848; Sarah Elizabeth, in 1849; Daniel, in 1852; Mary Ellen, in 1860; Ezra, in 1862; and Amanda, in 1864. Mary Ellen died in 1861, and Ezra in 1864. David is married to Mary Jane Silcot; Joseph to Elizabeth Moore-both families living in Mt. Vernon. Sarah E. is married to Isaac Hess, and lives in Richland county; and Daniel to Maggie Cunau, of this township. Mrs. Grubb's father, David Zook, was born in Bedford county, Pennsylvania. He was married in 1817 to Nancy Mock, who was torn in Adams county, Pennsylvania, in 1795. They had the following children: John, born in 1818; Catharine, in 1819; Elizabeth, in 1821; Jacob, in 1822; Joseph, in 1823; Mary, in 1824; Alexander, in 1826; Louisa, in 1828; Hannah, in 1829; Lydia, in 1831; Sally, in 1833; and David, in 1835.HAMMETT, JOHN F., harnessmaker, Pike township, post office, North Liberty, born in 1845, in Ashland county, Ohio, and was married in 1869 to Emily Mix, who was born in Independence, Richland county, in 1848. They had one son, Judson J., who was born in 1870, and one daughter, Emma, born in 1871. Mrs. Emily Hammett died in Independence in 1872. Mr. Hammett's second marriage, in 1873, was to Mary C. Hammond, who was born in Fredericktown, Knox county, in 1856. Mr. Hammett, when a young man, learned the harness trade with L. Ridgeley, in Jeromeville, Ashland county, Ohio. After his marriage he engaged in business in Independence, and remained there until after the death of Mrs. Hammett-then went to Mansfield, worked with F. Johnson for one year-then came to Fredericktown, remained there till 1876, when he removed to North Liberty. He is engaged in the harness business, he is an excellent mechanic, having an extensive custom business. He is also keeping hotel, the only one in North Liberty, and it is first-class. The father of Mrs. Hammett, George A. Hammond, was born in Frederick county, Maryland; his parents emigrated to Ohio in 1819; he was married in 1837 to Elizabeth Anderson, who was born in Virginia. They had seven children: Sarah P., Ellen P., Thomas J., Francis E., Louis F., Harriet, and Mary C. Mr. Hammond learned the shoe trade when a young man; he is still engaged in working at his trade; he is now among the oldest business men of Fredericktown.
HART, WILLIAM T., Gambier, son of John D. and Margaret Hart, was born near the Hopewell church, Pleasant township, Knox county, Ohio, September 18, 1840. John D. Hart, a native of Fayette county, Pennsylvania, was born March 13, 1816, married Miss Margaret Taylor, June 5, 1834, who was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, May 17, 1816.In 1835 they moved to Richland county, Ohio, and remained one year. In 1836 they moved to this county and located in Pleasant township, near the Hopewell church, where they lived until 1853, when they migrated to Noble county, Indiana, where they passed the remainder of their days. His companion died November 17, 1854. He survived her until October 1, 1864, leaving a family of eleven children to mourn their loss, viz: Mary A., born May 10, 1835; Nancy, born May 14, 1837; Matthew, born December 4, 1838; William T., born September 18, 1840; James, born May 4, 1843 ; Samuel, born January 12, 1845; Sarah F., born October 12, 1846; George W., born May 30, 1848; John, born August 29, 1850; Margaret, born May 14, 1852; Susannah, born June 4, 1854. Samuel and Margaret have died. William T. Hart married Miss Mary A. Wright, December 28, 1865, born in College township, this county, June 29, 1840, daughter of William and Mary Wright. They settled in Gambier, where they are now living. Their union resulted in three children, viz: Lewis E., Eva M., and Frederick W. Eva M. is dead. Mr. Hart is a carriage-maker by trade and is carrying on the business of manufacturing all kinds of carriages and vehicles of every description in Gambier. He is also engaged in undertaking, and is doing a first class business. In April, 1861, he enlisted in the three months' service in company B, Fourth Ohio volunteer infantry. June 5th, of same year, he reenlisted in same company and regiment for three years, or during the war. His time expired June 5, 1864, and was discharged from the service June 23d, same year. February 16, 1865, he enlisted as a veteran and served until the close of the war. He received two wounds, the first was at the battle of Chancellorsville, the second at North Anna river, on the twenty-third day of May, 1864.
HILL, DAVID- family of-Milford township. David Hill, son of Aaron Hill, and brother of Norman Newell Hill, whose biography appears above, was born in Vermont in 1807, came with his father to Ohio, and March 12, 1830, married Laura Jeffres, settling on the old Hill farm in Milford township, where he lived until his death, May 4, 1842. His life was a promising one, but was cut short by death. He was of medium height, slender, fine looking, very active and had accumulated some property. His wife, Laura Jeffres, who was thus left with a family of six children, was born January 28, 1811, in Douglass, Saratoga county, New York, and came with her father, John Jeffres, to this county when quite young, settling on a farm adjoining-or rather cornering-that of Aaron Hill. Their family consisted of Joan, born November 26, 1831; Charles Mortimer, December 1, 1833; Edwin L., February 15, 1835; Aaron, jr., August 7, 1837; Norman N., Jr., April 29, 1840, and Josephine E., January 2, 1843. Joan married James Lemon, is now living in Kansas and has one child, Estella, born October 20, 1858. Charles M. died at the age of two years. Edwin L. went to Illinois on coming of age, settling in Monticello, Platt county, in that State, where he engaged to the mercantile business, and where he married Eliza Moffit. They had no children. Upon the breaking out of the war in 1861, he enlisted in the Forty-second Illinois infantry, and while the regiment was encamped at Paducah, Kentucky, contracted a camp disease from which he died January 23, 1862, having first been brought home to Monticello. He was buried in the graveyard of that place. Aaron, Jr., worked on the old farm in Milford township until the war broke out, when he enlisted in the One Hundred and Forty-second Ohio National guard, and went into the hundred day service. His health not being good, the exposures of this campaign probably hastened his death. He died March 11, 1870, in Mansfield, Ohio, but was buried in the old Dry Creek graveyard, five or six miles west of Mt. Vernon. Norman N., Jr., went west in 1859, where he was engaged in school teaching near Monticello, when the war began in 1861, he enlisted as a private in a company raised in Champaign City, Illinois, which company was subsequently attached to the Third Missouri cavalry volunteers, and became company D of that regiment. He enlisted September 24, 1861; was in nearly all the battles and skirmishes in which the regiment was engaged; was promoted from time to time until he reached a first lieutenancy; resigned on account of ill health, and was mustered out of the service April 20, 1864. October 16, 1873, he married Dollie Rogers, of Plymouth, Ohio. They have three children: Walter R., born June 20, 1875; Florence J., March 9, 1877, and Laura Rose, September 19, 1880. Josephine married Elijah Crable, of Mt. Liberty, who was a soldier in the late war where he contracted a disease which hastened his death. She is now living with her mother in Mansfield, Ohio, and has one child, Maud, born November 26, 1866. The farm in Milford township was sold in 1866 to Arnold and William Bishop, and the family removed to Mansfield, Ohio, where they have since resided.
HISSONG, WILLIAM P., Berlin township, was born in Worthington township, Richland county, in 1840, married in 1861, to Electa Ann Grubaugh, who was born in Richland county, in 1841. They had ten children: Oliver, born in 1863; Nancy, deceased; Charles, born in 1866; Lilla, in 1868; Eli, in 1870; Ira, in 1872, William, in 1873; Albert, deceased; John, born in 1878; Joseph, in 1879. Mr. Hissong came to Knox county in 1867, anti has resided here since that time.
HOLLIBAUGH, JOHN F., shoe merchant. He was born in Richland county, Ohio, December 7, 1832; he was married November 8, 1857, to Louisa M. Hughes, who was born September 6, 1837 in Berlin township in this county. They have seven children: Lee Porter born August 31, 1858; Delphene, February 17, 1860, Flora Alice, March 14, 1864; Estella Lute, December, 16, 1866 ; Frederick Roston, July 16, 1871; Wilbert Alton, June 5, 1874; Ethel, November 11, 1878. Mr. Hollibaugh learned the shoe trade in Fredericktown, and has been engaged at that business since; he is a member of the firm of D. W. Condon & Co., leading shoe merchants of this city; and has been identified with the business interests in this place for some years. Mr. Hollibaugh was a soldier in the late war; he enlisted in the spring of 1864. He was a member of company H, One Hundred and Forty-second regiment Ohio National guard under Captain Cochran and Colonel W. C. Cooper per. He served out the time of his enlistment, and was honorably discharged.
HOLLISTER, ZACHARY T., Milford township, farmer, was born in Knox county, September 5, 1850, and is the son of Almon and Nancy Hollister, nee Myers. Almon Hollister was born in Litchfield county, Connecticut, January 20, 1808, and came to Knox county with his parents in 1817. They settled in Milford township, and were among its pioneers. He resided in Milford township until his death, which occurred August 8, 1878. He married Nancy Myers, a native of Richland county, in 1831, She was born in 1813. They had eight children, one of whom died in infancy-George, deceased; Lydia Ann, who married Elijah Leedy; Eli; Louisa, who married James H. Myers; Clarinda, who married E. A. Caven; Cassius; and Zachary T. George was a member of company G, Second regiment, in the three months service, was captured at Bull Run, and was a prisoner three months. Eli served three years in the Twentieth Ohio volunteer infantry. The subject of this notice was reared on the old homestead, and continues to reside on it, having charge of the farm.
HURST, CHARLES H., Fredericktown, butcher; was born in Germany in 1842, came to America at the age of thirteen years, and first located in Plymouth, Richland county, Ohio. He came to Fredericktown in 1875. In 1863 he married Catharine Swope, who was born in Crawford county in 1842. They have four children, viz: Edward, born in 1863; George, in 1869; William, in 1870, and Artie in 1874. Mr. Hurst enlisted in the late war in company I, First regiment, Ohio artillery, and remained till the close of the war. He is a member of the firm of Braddock & Hurst, butchers. They have established a good business in Fredericktown and vicinity
JOHNSON, WILLIAM (deceased), was born in New Jersey, February 16, 1756, and was a man noted for his great piety and intelligence. He was an officer in the Revolutionary war. He married Miss Sarah Douglas a short time after the war closed; came to Knox county in 1810, and settled near Mt Vernon. At the commencement of the War of 1812 he was considered one of the wealthiest farmers of Knox county. He served several years as justice of the peace,'and was a prominent member of the Presbyterian church, and the pioneer preacher, Rev. James Scott, frequently held meetings at his residence. When the War of 1812 commenced he, with three of his sons, enlisted, William being a captain. He returned in safety and moved to Richland county after the conclusion of the war. He resided there but a few years, till his death occurred. All of his sons are dead. A granddaughter, Mrs. Jane Crocraft, is still living in Lexington, Richland county, Ohio, at an advanced age.
KARR, JOHN, shoemaker, Fredericktown, was born in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, in 1809, and came to Knox county in 1830. He was married August 8, 1830, to Miss Deliah Ayers, who was born in Ohio January 1, 1811. They had the following family, viz: Corydon, born August 25, 1831; Maria L., May 4,1833; James N., December 29,1835; Thomas A., November 14, 1837; Elizabeth R., September 22, 1839; Martha E., April 7, 1841; John E., July 7, 1843, and Deliah, October 26, 1845. Mrs. Deliah Karr died April 12, 1846. Mr. Karr afterwards married, February 18, 1847, Elizabeth R. Winterringer, who was born in this county August 22, 1824. They had the following family, viz: Joseph S., born, December .5, 1847; Aaron L., August 24, 1849; George B., December 26, 1851; infant daughter, April 18, 1854; Mary Eva, April 18, 1857; Charlie F., February 26, 1859, and Willie B., August 24, 1861. The following are married: Corydon Karr married June 23, 1853, Margaret S. Powell. They reside in Buffalo, New York. James A. married Martha Dunham, and is living in Chicago, Illinois. Elizabeth married Henry Mohler. John E. married Anna Baughman; Aaron L. married May Carr, and lives in Greenfield, Iowa. Joseph S. married Ellen M. Patron, and lives in Nebraska. Deliah Karr married Peter P. Laughlin. They reside in Buffalo, New York. Charles F. Karr married Olive M. Weirick, April 15, 1879, and is living in Bellville, Ohio. Mr. John Karr has been constantly engaged in working at the shoe trade in this place more than fifty years, and is yet so engaged, having reared a large family, and is yet hale and vigorous.
KIRBY, ABNER S., farmer, post office, Fredericktown, was born in this county in 1840; he was married in 1866 to Chloe A. Beans, who was born in Richland county in 1848. They have four sons and three daughters-W. B., Etta M., Frank E., Zoa R., W. S., Estelle, and infant son. Mr. Kirby is engaged as an auctioneer, is becoming popular in this busines, and is meeting with success. He was a soldier-a member of company K--Ohio volunteer infantry; and he was engaged for four years
LEEDY, REV. SAMUEL A., German Baptist, post office, Shalers Mills. He was born in Morrison's cove, Bedford county, Pennsylvania, May 19, 1816. He came to Ohio in 1829, and located in Knox county. He was married in 1838, to Elizabeth Bostater, who was born in Washington county, Maryland, in 1815, and came to Ohio with her parents in 1836. They had twelve children; Simon, Susannah, Isaac, Elizabeth, Joshua, Elijah, two infant daughters (twins), Emanuel, Martha, Rufus, and Ezra. Joshua died November 24, 1849; twin daughter, August 14, 1848; Emanuel, February 27, 1854; Martha, March 2, 1854. Mr. Leedy is a descendant of Abraham Leedy. Mr. Leedy located in Berlin township in the fall of 1838, and since has been a citizen of this township. He joined the German Baptist church or Dunkards, at the age of twenty-three years. Mr. Leedy was elected deacon in the church in about 1825; served in this capacity until 1854; he was then appointed minister in that church. He has since been a faithful and liberal advocate for the principles of the church, but always charitable with and for the opinions of others. His zeal in the work has characterized his labors. He is still laboring to raise the standard of the church as a faithful ambassador of the Cross. His occupation has been farming; in this he has been industrious and active, always keeping up with the progress of the times. He owns the farm formerly known as the Long farm. He has retired from farming, and his sons are now farming the place. Mr. Leedy has been a man of remarkable constitution, and is still in enjoyment of reasonable good health. Mr. and Mrs. Leedy are now living alone. Their children are all married, and have left the parental roof. Simon Leedy was married to Elizabeth Martin, of Richland county. They reside in Cedar county, Missouri, post office, Monta Valla, Vernon county, Missouri. Isaac Leedy was married to Mary Wole. They reside in Vernon county, Monta Valla post office, Missouri. Elizabeth Leedy was married to Noah F. Cripe. They reside in Vernon county, Missouri. Elijah was married to Araminta Tenser. They reside in Missouri. Rufus was married to Ida Belle Grubb. He resides on the home place. Ezra L. was married to Ann McLaughlin, of Richland county. Susannah Leedy married Isaac Shenabargar. They reside in Ankneytown
LEMLEY. WILLIAM (deceased, Pike township, born in Richland county in 1848, and was married in 1867, to Mary Ellen Simpkins, who was born in Monroe township in 1851. They have three children: Clara J., born in 1868; James G., torn in 1871; and William A., born in 1872. William Lemley was one of the victims of the sad collision that occurred in Richland county during the State fair at Mansfield in 1872. He was wounded on Thursday and died on Saturday. This was a sad bereavement to the family. After the death of her husband Mrs. Lemley moved to North Liberty, where she still lives.
LEWIS, JOHN and HANNAH came to Ohio from New Jersey, in the year 1805, stopping for a short time at Mt. Vernon, where there were two or three log cabins. They remained there only a few days, and following the trail of the Sandusky Indians on horseback for about ten miles in a northwest direction, they located in the wilderness on Owl creek, near what is now the village of Luzerne, in Wayne township, where they resided during the rest of their lives. Soon after selecting this place as their future home, they put up a cabin, fourteen feet square, of Buckeye logs, which was their residence for a number of years, and until they had aid enough to erect a house of heavy logs, a bout thirty feet square, which remained standing for a number of years. This building was used regularly for religious purposes, there being no church at the time in that part of the country. During the War of 1812, there was a fort, also a blockhouse, adjoining and communicating with this residence, and when these early settlers were threatened with danger, they would gather hurriedly together at this fort for protection. There were but few settlers in that part of the country prior to and during the war, and for some time Mr. Lewis' nearest neighbors resided at Mt. Vernon, and the. nearest store and mill were located at Zanesville. The trail of the Sandusky Indians, used in going to and from Mt. Vernon and Zanesville, was within one hundred yards of his house, and his family was very frequently honored with their calls, which were usually friendly. These Indians would frequently have access to whiskey when meeting with white traders, and, when intoxicated, were sometimes troublesome customers. These early settlers had but little knowledge of the luxuries and comforts of modern homes. They owned a Bible, which was in many cases their only printed book, and constituted their only reading. A long rifle with a flint lock, a rude bed and a puncheon table, and but little more. Tea, coffee, sugar and flour were luxuries to be seldom indulged in. Their corn was pounded in a wooden mortar with a pestle, the finest part being used for bread and the coarsest for hominy. Their meat was mostly wild game,. of which there was a great plenty. Mr. Lewis had some singular and exciting experiences and adventures with the wild animals that infested the then unbroken forest. Wolf scalps were a legal tender, and were received in payment of taxes, and he, with the assistance of Mr. James Bryant, who came into Ohio soon after, killed fifty-three wolves in one winter. One of the traps used by him is still in the possession of the family. Live stock had to be protected from these wild animals. One night Mr. Lewis was awakened by sortie strange noises made by his pigs in the pen, and, taking his rifle, he proceeded to ascertain the cause. Seeing some object moving about, he fired at it, and the next morning, on going to the place, found a black bear lying dead. About the year 1820, Rev. Henry George, a Welsh Baptist missionary, came from the east and located in this neighborhood, and was the first ordained minister to conduct religious services in that part of the State. His first sermon was from the text, Isaiah 63: i. After he had labored a number of years, a little congregation was collected together, and a church was organized. They erected a log building that had neither stove nor fireplace, on the spot where now stands what is known as the Wayne Baptist church. At the dedication of this log church Mr. George preached from Psalm 122. The first school building in this neighborhood was erected a little way east of Mr. Lewis' residence, was made of logs, and, having no glass, the windows were made of greased paper. Mr. Lewis raised nine children, three sons and six daughters. There are yet four living: William Lewis, near Waterford, in Knox county; Mitchel Lewis, near Morrison, Illinois; Mary Jackson, near Galion, Ohio; and Jane Bonar, who lives in Bellville.
LINDLEY, CHARLES A., blacksmith, was born in Mansfield, Richland county, Ohio, in 1853; was married in 1877 to Annie McNare, who was born in Fredericktown in 1858. They have one daughter, Nate E. He was formerly engaged in the manufacturing of buggies and wagons.
MCMILLEN, DAVID,farmer, post office, Butler, Richland county, Ohio. He was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, in 1805. In 1830 he was married to Rachel Williams, who was born in the same county in 1807. They had five children: Jesse was born in 1836; Lavena, in 1838; Isaiah, in 1840; James A., in 1842; and Marion, in 1844. The deceased members are: Mrs. Rachel McMillen died in 1880; Isaiah died in Knox county; Lavena died in Wayne county in 1844. They located in Wayne township in 1830. He settled in Knox county in 1849. He owns a good farm with all the modern improvements. His father, Alexander McMillen was born in 1779, in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, and was married to Christina Yearian, who was born in the same county. They had five children: Christena, Mary, Esther, Alexander, and David. Mrs. McMillen died in Pennsylvania; A Leander McMillen died in Berlin township in 1864. Jesse McMillen was married to Louisa Yarger, who was born in Ashland county, Ohio, in 1840. They have three children: Georgia .Vice, born May 12, 1876; Bertha Celia, October 10, 1877, and David Franklin, January 9. 1879. Mr. McMillen is a plasterer by trade, and assisted in plastering the court house in Mansfield. James McMillen was a soldier in the late war, and was a member of the Ohio National guards.
MISHEY. A. W., Pike township, merchant, post office, North Liberty, born in Pike township, this county, in 1854, and was married in 1877, to Alvina Spayde, who was born in Washington township, Richland county, in 1859. Mr. Mishey received a very liberal education and engaged in teaching for some time. In 1879 he located in North Liberty, and engaged in mercantile business, making a specialty of hardware and groceries, keeping constantly on hand a good supply to meet the: demand. He is the postmaster of North Liberty, the post office being in his store room. Mr. Mishey is a young man of good business ability; has the confidence of this community, and by his honesty and uprightness has gained the high esteem of all. He is a worthy member of the Evangelical church, and has a bright future before him. Mr. Mishey is one of the leading men in this township.
MOODY, WILLIAM, Miller township, retired, farmer and minister of the Disciple church, was born in Licking county, Ohio, December 8, 1813. His father, William Moody, was an only son of James Moody who died in Newfoundland.William Moody, sr., married Mary Stadden, who was born in Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, in 1771, and there married. They emigrated to Licking county, Ohio, about 1805, and located in Madison township, on the Bowling Green, four miles east of the town of Newark in 1807, where they resided until the death of William Moody, which occurred August 28, 1828, in the fifty-seventh year of his age. The subject of this sketch at that time was fifteen years of age. He continued to live with his mother and younger sister until March 24. 1835, when he married Miss Laura A. Wells, daughter of Osmond Wells, of Hanover township, Licking county, Ohio. She was born February 11, 1817. Selling his interest in the homestead, he moved in 1837, to Richland county, Ohio, where he remained until 1852, when he sold and purchased one and a half miles west of Millwood, on Owl creek. Here his mother died in 1855, having lived with him since 1851. She was aged eighty - four. Mr. Moody continued to reside here until 1865, being engaged farming during the week, and the ministry on the Sabbath. He then sold his farm, and gave his attention entirely to the ministry, and by the blessings of the Lord many were added to the churches where he labored. In 1874 his health failed so as to prohibit active duties in the ministry. He still resides on the small farm in Miller township, which he purchased in 1865. He is esteemed by all who know him for his many Christian virtues. He is the only survivor of nine children. There were born to this couple eleven children-five are dead, and six are living. The living are: John, a physician at Centreburgh, Ohio; Elisha, farmer, Delaware county; Mrs. Emma Hunt and Mr's. Laura Jewel in Delaware county, Ohio; Mrs. Mary Johnson in Miller township, and Mrs. Rachel Barker in Missouri. They had twenty-four grandchildren. all but three of whom are living.
MOODY, JOHN REED, Hilliar township, physician and surgeon, was born in Mansfield, Ohio, November 22, 1839. His father, who is now a minister in the Disciple church, came to Knox county and settled on a farm. It was here where John spent his youth. When about seventeen years of age he entered the grammar school at Kenyon college, with a view of taking a full collegiate course. He got on well with his studies and had entered the sophomore class, when the call for volunteers was made in 1861. He enlisted in company A, Fourth Ohio, for three months. He served the three months, and shortly after his return home he went to New York and enlisted in the Fifty-ninth regiment. He was appointed hospital steward for the regiment. The regiment belonged to the Army of the Potomac, and was through the different campaigns, until after the battle of Antietam, when it veteranized. His term of enlistment hating expired in the Fifty-ninth New York, he came home and in a few days enlisted in company A, Ninety-sixth Ohio volunteer infantry. He was in all the fights with his regiment from Haine's Bluff, in the rear of Vicksburgh, until the surrender of Mobile, Alabama. He served his country faithfully and honesty for over four years, receiving two wounds as the price of his patriotism. On his return home he concluded to read medicine with Dr. George W. Barnes, of Mt. Vernon, Ohio. After his course of reading he went to the Western Homoeopathic college at Cleveland, and graduated there in the spring of 1866 After leaving college he practiced one year in Newark, Ohio, and one year in Somerset, Ohio. The faculty of the college recognizing his ability appointed him demonstrator of anatomy, which position he held for seven years, to the satisfaction of the management of the college. His health not being good he resigned his appointment, and opened an office in the city, where he remained ten years, doing a large business. His practice being arduous and confining in the city, he concluded to relinquish it there and go where he could have more out-door work. He accordingly came to Centreburgh in 1877, where again he has been successful in building up a good practice. He was married to Endorah A. Brown. January, 1876.
MOORE, FRANK R., attorney, Mt. Vernon, was born in Richland county April 16, 1852. His parents were natives of Maine, emigrating from their native State to Richland county, Ohio, and in 1857 they came to Mt. Vernon, where they yet reside. The subject of this sketch attended the public schools, and while so doing was twice appointed to the United States Military academy at West Point, New York, from his congressional district, but on account of the objections of his parents he did not go. He graduated at the Mt. Vernon schools in June, 1871. He learned and worked at the carpenter trade, and upon the surveying of the Columbus and Mt. Vernon railroad he was a member of the engineer corps, as assistant. He read law with Cooper, Porter & Mitchell, and was admitted to practice at the June term of 1875. After the dissolution of the firm Mr. Moore continued with Colonel Cooper until the fall of 1878, when he was elected to the office of prosecuting attorney, and again in 1880, running some three hundred ahead of his ticket. In politics he is a Democrat. He was for several years a member of the county board of school examiners. He was joined in marriage November 6, 1880, to Miss Blanche Struble, daughter of Daniel Struble, of Fredericktown, Ohio.
MYERS, DAVID, Brown township, farmer, post office, Jelloway, and son of Abraham and Elizabeth Myers, born in Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, May 3, 1815, was brought to Ohio when a child by his parents, his father locating in Steubenville, Jefferson county, where be remained until 1826, when he removed with his family to Knox county, locating near Danville, where he remained a few years. His father then moved to Pike township, where David Myers, the subject of this sketch, was reared to manhood. July 28, 1836, he married Miss Catharine Pinkley, daughter of David Pinkley, born in Richland county, April 28, 1817. After his marriage he rented a farm in Richland county, which he occupied about three years. He then moved back to Knox county, where he has since remained. About 1855-56 he purchased a farm of fifty acres one mile and a half south of Jelloway, in Brown township, where be then moved. By their union they became the parents of nine children; Sarah E., Joseph, who served three years in the late Rebellion, in the Sixty-fifth Ohio volunteer infantry, in company A, under Captain Cassil; :Margaret A., James, who died in the army in December, 1863, he being a member of the Ninety-sixth Ohio volunteer infantry in company B, Leonard being his captain; William, Armanda, Masey, David M. and Mary. January 1, 1857, his companion died at the age of forty years. In 1867 he married Libby Bailey, widow of William Bailey, born in Danville, Knox county in 1825. About five years after this marriage he bought a farm of one hundred and four acres southwest of Jelloway, where he then moved, and has ever since lived.
NICODEMUS, JACOB L., farmer, Middlebury township, post office, Fredericktown, was born in Maryland, in 1804, came to Ohio in 1852, and was married in 1835 to Susan Baile, who was born in Maryland in 1816. They had ten children, viz: Cecelia, born December 11, 1836; Evaline M., September 17, 1838; Ann S., February 17, 1840; Sarah L., June 7, 1841; Abraham P., August 27, 1843; Elizabeth M., August 20, 1845; Rachel F., June 28, 1848; Mary A., October 12, 1851; Charles W., November 22, 1853, and Susan C., August 12, 1857. The following children are dead: Evaline M. and Susan C. Cecelia was married to Lamvil S. Owen, and resides in Delaware county, Ohio; Evaline (deceased) was married to John Wells; Ann S. married to Marwin B. Gordon, they are now in Steuben county, Indiana; Sarah L. married Whiting Hawkins, of Morrow county; Abraham P. married Lucretia V. Reed, of Mansfield, Ohio; Elizabeth M. married Sheriden Ebersole, and resides in Ottawa county, Kansas; Rachel F. married Wellington Watkins, now living in Republic county, Kansas; Mary A. married Stuart J. Dixon, now living in this township; Charles W. married Martha E. Herendon and resides on the old home place. Mrs. Nicodemus came to Morrow county in 1852, remained there until 1856, then located in Middlebury township; since that time he has been a resident of this township and has reared a large and respectable family of children, who are all married and have located as above noted.
PENN, WILLIAM, Middlebury, farmer, was born to Virginia, near Harper's Ferry, in 1826; came to Ohio in 1834 with his father, John Penn, and located in Richland county. He was married in 1851 to Ruth Clark, who was born in this township and county. They have two children: William, born in 1867, and Chloe, born in 1854. Mr. Penn came to Knox county in 1853, and has remained here ever since. He is one of the useful and intelligent men of this county. His father, John Penn, was born in 1800, in Baltimore, Maryland, and died in 1879. Mrs. John Penn has moved to Indiana. Mrs. Ruth Penn's father. William Clark, was born in Vermont in 1777. He came to Ohio in 1818, and was married to Abigail Owen. who was born in 1797 in Vermont. They are among the old pioneers of the county. They had two children: Rachel, born in 1829, and Ruth, born in 1833. William Clark died in 1862, aged eighty-four years five months and eight days. Mrs. Abigail Clark died in 1871.
PIERCE, ISAAC, Hilliar township, blacksmith, was born in Mansfield, Richland county, January 30, 1810. His parents came to Knox county about six years after and settled on the Indian fields, south of Mt. Vernon, where Isaac remained until he was about ten years old, when his uncle, Peter Kinney, took him to Wheeling, Virginia, and he shortly after got on a boat as cook on the Ohio Liver. He followed the river for some years and then came to Mt. Vernon. where he learned the trade of blacksmithing with William Davis. His next move was to Hilliar township in 1834, and about two years after came to Centreburgh and carried un his trade for many years, until he became aficted with rheumatism. He was among the early settlers of Knox county. He was married to Miss Ann Eliza Belcher, July 24, 1834. By this union there were nine children born, five of whom are living, viz: Sarah, married to John Crawford, lives in Broadway, Union county, Ohio; Mary, widow of George Jones. in Centreburgh; William M., in Union county, Ohio; Louisa, married to Ira Barr, living in Centreburgh; Frank C., blacksmith, in Centreburgh. Mr. Pierce was a soldier or the late war. His two sons, Jackson and William, were in the army also, and Mr. Pierce, although near fifty-two years of age, volunteered in company A, Ninety-sixth Ohio volunteer infantry, August 8, 1862. He was in the fights in front of Vicksburgh and at Arkansas Post. In March, 1863, he was discharged on account of chronic rheumatism, contracted while in the service. February, 1864, he again enlisted in company F, One Hundred and Twenty-first regiment and was sent to Chattanooga, and participated in several of the engagements, among which were Akworth, Resaca, Atlanta, and Jonesborough. He was again taken with rheumatism and sent to the hospital. He was discharged at Camp Dennison, May 17, 1865.
POPHAM, SAMUEL (deceased), Pike township, was born in Harrison county, Ohio, in 1809, and was married in 1836 to Elizabeth Scoles, who was born in 1819. They had the following children, viz: Salena, born September 15, 1837; Eliza Ann, February 17, 1839; Columbus D., August 23, 1841; Margaret J., August 28, 1844; George F., October 21, 1846; Thomas I., September 5, 1849; Mary J., January 22, 1852; Amanda Olive, March 15, 1859; and Samuel L., September 12, 1862. Salena died September 30, 1837. Mrs. Elizabeth Popham died in March, 1874. Samuel Popham married for his second wife Nancy Johnson, who was born in Richland county, in 1833. They lived together but a few-years. Mr. Popham died-June 8, 1880. He was a citizen of this county for many years, a good financier, became the owner of a number of farms, and gave to each of his children a good home.
RHINEHALT, DAVID, wagon maker, Middlebury township, post office, Fredericktown, born in District of Columbia, October 13, 1844, came to Richland county, in 1848, and to Knox county in 1872, where he has remained since his marriage, in 1867, to Martha Warick, who was born in Richland county, February 2, 1849. They have the following family: Olive, born March 17, 1868; Dellvan, October 24, 1870; Lide, May 31, 1873; Landon, March 13, 1876, and Hoy, July 23, 1878. He is the owner of a stationary saw-mill, located on his place in this township with all of the modern improvements, and is doing custom-work to order. He is one of the active men of this township. David Rhinehalt was a soldier of the late war, having been a member of company D, One Hundred and Sixty-third regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, and was engaged in the service four months.
ROWLAND, JAMES F., Milford township, one of the leading farmers of Milford township, was born in Richland county (now Ashland county), Ohio, April 11, 1824; is the son of Simon Rowland, a native of Pennsylvania, who came to Ohio at an early day and settled in Green township, Richland county, where he married Sarah Hill about 1817 who was a native of Vermont. They had eight children, five of whom are living, the subject of this notice being the eldest. Jane, married to John Ohler; Cyrus A.; Alletha, married Joel Ward, and Joseph. The deceased were Eliza, Thomas, and Mary, the last of whom was married to Levi Browlyier. The parents died in Green township, Richland county, now Ashland county. The subject of this notice was reared on the farm his father entered, and continued to live on it until 1860, when he moved to Knox county having sold the old homestead. In 1848 he married Sarah Oliicr. They had ten children, viz: Simon. Calvin J., William L., Frank, Shannon, Jane (deceased), Alice (married to William Rizor), Ida (deceased),. Lizzie, and Ella. Mr. Rowland is a leading member of the Baptist church and a man of influence. He is township trustee.
RUMMEL, JOHN, Berlin township, deceased, was born in Adams county, Pennsylvania, June 7, 1807, and was married March 17, 1831, to Elizabeth McPhern, who was born in Adams county, Pennsylvania. December 22, 1807. They emigrated to Ohio in 1836; located in Richland county, and remained till 1852, and then moved to Knox county. They had eight children- Hezekiah, born December 10, 1831; James E., September 28, 1833; George, December 20, 1835; Sarah J., April 26, 1838; Hiram, July 30, 1840; Elias, February 21, 1843; Mary E., September 24, 1845; and Melinda, September 3, 1848.Hezekiah was married in Iowa and resides in Kansas; James E. resides in Washington territory. Hiram was married in Oregon and resides there. Mr. John Rummel died August 26, 1877, in Berlin township, this county, and was buried in Worthington township, Richland county, in the cemetery near St. John's church. Mrs, Rummel joined the Lutheran church in 1832, and was a member forty-nine years. She died at her residence in Berlin township in April, 1880, of paralysis, after a brief illness.
RUMMEL, GEORGE, Berlin township, farmer, post office, Shaler's Mills, was born in Franklin county, Pennsylvania, in 1835. His parents emigrated to Ohio when he was a child. He was married in 1866 to Eliza J. Irvine, who was born in Monroe township in 1844. They have one son John I.-who was born September 9, 1867, and one daughter, who was born April 7, 1870, and died in 1871. In 1860 Mr. Rummel went to California and returned in 1865. He was engaged in mining.
RUMMEL, ELIAS, farmer, Berlin township, post office, Fredericktown, was born in Worthington township, Richland county, in 1843, and was married in 1871, to Sarah E. McIntire, who was born in Holmes county in 1849. They have five children, viz: Jessie M., born in 1872; A. D., 1874; James W., 1876; Herbert M., 1878, and an infant in 1880. Mr. Rummel, when a young man, went to California and remained there four years, then returned to Ohio and located in this township. He owns a good farm.
SCOTT, JOSEPH, Wayne township, farmer, post office, Fredericktown, born in England, in 1833, came to Richland county, in 1849, and to this county in 1855. He was married in 1856, to Louisa Ball, who was born in this county, in 1829. They have been residents of Wayne township since 1873. Mr. Scott was formerly engaged in working on the railroad, and filled different prominent positions for twenty-two years. He settled on a farm in Wayne township, and is one of the leading farmers of this county.
SEILER, SIMON, Fredericktown, butcher, born in Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, in 1845, came to Ohio with his parents in childhood, they locating in Plymouth, Richland county, Ohio. He was married in 1867, to Edessa Cuykendall, who was born in Ohio, in 1848.Mr. Seiler in company with Dorr Cuykendall owned the Fredericktown mill, and they were engaged in operating it until 1874, when it was burned. They erected a new mill in 1875, sold out to S. S. Tuttle & Co.; then engaged in butchering in 1879. He is a member of the firm of B. F. Seiler & Co.
SEILER, B. F., meat market. He was born in Plymouth, Huron county, in 1848; he was married in Richland county in 1871 to Delphine Brumback, who was born in Huron county. They have two children. Mildreth J. was born in 1873, and Carl in 1880. after the war he came to Richland county settling in Perry township. He was married to Miss Elsie Dally, by whom he had eight children; six are living, the subject of this being the oldest child. He came to Hilliar township about 1840, and worked for his uncle, John Dally, on a farm. His first purchase was a tract of land of ninety acres where he now resides. He has since purchased a number of other tracts, and is one of the substantial farmers in Hilliar township. He started in life without the aid of a dollar, but by his industry and perseverance he has attained a competency. He is a good farmer, a good citizen, and has the esteem of the community. He was married to Miss Rebecca Debolt, by whom he had eight children, one daughter and seven sons, all doing well
SEVERNS, JAMES, retired farmer, Brown township, a son of Joseph and Mary Severns, was born in Coshocton county, Ohio, on the tenth day of February, 1805. His mother deceased when he was a boy of about nine summers. In 1817 he was brought to Knox county, Ohio, by his father and stepmother (his father having married-again), who located near Millwood, remained one year, then moved back to Coshocton county and located near New Castle, where they lived about two years. In 1820 he purchased four hundred acres of Military Lind from Columbus Delano, in Brown township, this county, on which he made improvements and moved his family the same year, where he remained and followed farming as his vocation until his death, at the good old age of about eighty-eight years. At the time of his settlement in Brown township there was but one cabin between his residence and Danville; neighbors were few and far apart. Their nearest grist-mill was one known as the Shrimplin mill, near Millwood. The red man was his friend and often called to see him; wild animals were abundant; the forests were full of game of all kinds; he was known as a great hunter and a good marksman. he was married twice, and was the father of twenty-two children, all of whom are now deceased, except James, by his first marriage, who is now living on a part of the old home farm, and two sons and one daughter by his second wife. James Severns, the subject of this sketch, was reared a farmer and has made farming his vocation through life, and has lived on the same farm since 1820, which is situated two miles west of Jelloway, Brown township. He has been married three times, first to Miss Elizabeth Pierce, of Richland county, January 1, 1832, who bore him one child. Lyman W. She died in August, 1832, and he married Mrs. Armelia Frazier, nee Hughes, of Holmes county, Ohio, in May, 1838, who lived with him eighteen years, and deceased in 1856. He married Jane Sells, of Knox county in 1857, by whom he has had six children, four of whom are now living, viz: Joseph B., Mary E., John B., and James.
SHEPPARD, GEORGE C., Middlebury township, carpenter, post office, Fredericktown, born in Richland county, Ohio, June 14, 1845, and was married in 1869 to Louisa E. Lukens, who was born in Richland county in 1852. They have two children-Ada A., born September 9, 1872; and Annette May, born March 8, 1875. Mr. Sheppard was in the late war, a member of company I, Second Ohio artillery. He enlisted July 26, 1863, and was honorably discharged August 29, 1865.
SHIPLEY, AMON MASSENA, Mt. Vernon, deceased, was born in Springhill township, Fayette county, Pennsylvania, October 5, 1806. He was reared on a farm, and married Miss Susannah Saddler, about one year his senior, and of the same neighborhood, on the fifth day of April, 1827. They came to Knox county in 1832, and settled on what is known as the Old Hill place in Monroe township, about three miles east of Mt. Vernon, on the Coshocton road, where they met with all the privations and hardships incident to clearing up and improving a farm at that time. Mr. Shipley was for some years engaged in school teaching in the winter and farming the balance of the year. In 1852 he sold his farm in Monroe township and bought the "old Indian fields" in Howard township, containing four hundred and eight acres, where, for many years, he carried on !arming and lumbering. On the sixteenth of November, 1872, his wife, Mrs. Susannah Shipley, after eight weeks of intense suffering, passed away in great peace, her wonderful patience in suffering being a signal proof of the triumph of the Christian's faith. Soon after his companion's death, Mr. Shipley sold his land in this county and retired from business, and moved to Jackson county, Michigan, where he still resides. He has eight children living, vrz: Minerva, the eldest daughter, was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, July 14, 1828, and married William D. Woollison, of Monroe township, who is now a successful farmer in Cedar county, Iowa, and has five children living; Worthington R., was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, November 5, 1829; he is now farming in Howard township; Benedict F. (see biography); Emeline, born July 12, 1838, resides in Spring Arbor, Michigan; Agnes D., born March 13, 1842, married Calvin .Miller, of Clay township, and is now living in Marion county, Illinois; Eugene C., born June 8, 1845, married Miss E. J. Baker, of Monroe township, December 15, 1871, and now resides in Jackson city, Michigan; he is an excellent mechanic, and is a local preacher in the Free Methodist church; Almon D., born August 9, 1847, married Miss Elizabeth Hale, of West Windsor, Richland county, September to, 1878; he is a physician and surgeon, and resides and practices near Toledo, Ohio; Robert S., born October 26, 1852, married Miss Ellen Barron, of Brown township, March 6, 1877. He is a very ingenious mechanic and a successful physician and surgeon, and is practicing medicine at Lindsey, Ohio.
SHIPLEY, GEORGE W.. Pike township, farmer, post office, North Liberty, born in this township in 1838, and was marred in 1861 to Sarah. J. Rummel, who was born in Worthington township, Richland county, in 1838. They have three children-Mary G., born in 1862; Willard B., in 1865, and Edwin R., in 1870. His father, Elias Shipley, was born in Maryland in 1791, and was married to Rebecca Phillips, who was born in Maryland in 1796. They had twelve children-Reuben, Catharine, William A., James, Brice, George W.. and Rebecca. The deceased children are Mary Jane, Caroline, Elias, Charles, and John Wesley. Elias Shipley, sr., died in this township in 1861. They came to Knox county at an early day and settled in this township, and are numbered among the pioneers.
SHIRA, RUDOLPH H., Pike township, farmer, post office, North Liberty, was born in Stark county, Ohio, in 1820; went to Richland county when quite young; remained there eleven years, and was married in 1844 to Catharine Loose, who was born in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, m 1825. They have eight children-William, born in 1845; Rob Roy, in 1847; George, in 1849; Emma, in 1854; Amanda, in 1855; Abi S., in 1859; Wilson, in 1861; and Lloyd, in 1867. The following are married: Rob Roy, to Ellen Shackles, deceased; George, to Mary Penroe; he is a practicing physician at Dunkirk, Ohio. William is engaged in the study and practice of medicine in Scottown, Marion county, Ohio. Amanda Shira was married to Melvin Sweitzer; they reside at Independence, Richland county.
SHERMAN, ABNER D., farmer, Middlebury township, post office, Fredericktown, born in Middlebury township, August 23, 1837, and was married January 3, 1858, to Elizabeth Tobin, who was born in Guernsey county, Ohio, February 28, 1836. They have one son, Walden L., born April 1, 1859. His father, Abner Sherman, was born January 29, 1804, in Belmont county, and was married March 26, 1826, to Katherine Kerby, who was born in Maryland March 19, 1806. They had two children: Mary Jane, born December y, 1826; and Abner, August 23, 1837. Mary Jane Sherman was married January 4, 1845, to Luther Mann. 'they reside in Perry township, Richland county.
SIMMONS, THOMAS, Pike township, farmer, post office, Democracy, born in Worthington township, Richland county, Ohio, in 1850, and was married in 1873, to Lorilla Evlyn O'Bryan, who was born in Pike township, this county, m 1855. They have four children: Emerald Alvernon and Sylva Alberta (twins), born in 1873; Samuel Douglass, in 1876; and Estella May, in 1878. Mr. Simmons came to Knox county in 1861.
SNIDER, CHRISTIAN E., Brown township, farmer, was born on the seventeenth day of June, 1840, in Richland county, Ohio. His father, Philip Snider, was a native of France. His mother, Mary Snider, was a native of Stark county, Ohio. In 1850 he came to this county with his parents, and located on the farm in Brown township now known as the Snider homestead. In 1864 he married Miss Ann Hall, daughter of James Y. and Lydia Hall. they located in Brown township and have since resided in the same township. At present they are living on Solomon Workman's farm. He owns a half interest in the old Snider farm. They have six children-three sons and three daughters.
STOFER, JOSEPH. Pike township, farmer, post office, North Liberty, born in Fayette county. Pennsylvania, in 1838, and was married in 1869 to Margaret Swank, who was born in Franklin county, Pennsylvania, in 1838. They have four children living- Amanda, born in 1870; Arminda, in 1871; Alfred, in 1877; and John A., in 1879. The deceased members are infant twins, and Rosa. Mr. Stofer resided in Indiana from 1864 to 1866, then returned to Pike township, Knox county. He owns a farm in a good state of cultivation, and is a leading active citizen of this township. Mrs. Margaret Stofer's father, Gabriel Swank, was born in Franklin county, Pennsylvania, in 1795, and was married to Catherine Stone, who was born in the same county in 1797. They had ten children - Henry, born in 1818, was a resident of Richland county, and came to his death by the falling of a tree, which occurred in 1876; Lenah was born in 1820; Zachariah, Elisabeth, Susannah, Christena, Mary. Sarah, Margaret, and Catharine. Mrs. Catherine Swank died is Franklin county, Pennsylvania, in 1856. They came to Ohio in 1866, first to Richland county. In 1878 came to Knox county. Mr. Swank resides with his daughter, Mrs. Joseph Stofer.
STRUBLE, JOHN D., Berlin township, deceased, was born in Sussex county, New Jersey, in 1792, and was married in 1822 to Mary Hadley, who was born in Norris county, New Jersey, in 1802. They had nine children--Rebecca, born in 1824; Headley, in 1826;' Daniel, in 1828; William J., in 1831; John S., in 1834; Charles S., in 1836; Oscar, in 1839; David W., in 1841; and Edwin Dallas, in 1845. Mr. Struble located in Fredericktown in 1832. He was an extensive land holder, owning over four hundred acres, and a very active and successful business man, engaged in different enterprises, such as the sale of merchandise and the milling business, superintending all himself. In 1874 his mill property was destroyed by fire. He did much to improve Fredericktown, and was a prominent member of the Baptist church. He departed this life May 21, 1875. Mrs. Struble is living with her son, John S., in Berlin township.
STRUBLE, DAVID W., Fredericktown, retired from business, was born in Wayne township, this country, in 1841; was married in x866 to Anne Cummings, who was born in Richland county in 1844. He was a soldier in the late war, a member of company B, Second New York cavalry, and was in the service over three years.Mr. Struble has been engaged in the mercantile business for some time, but has retired from all business pursuits.
SWETZER, ALLEN, Berlin township, farmer, post office, Fredericktown, was born in Richland county in 1833, came to this township when a child, and was married in 1862, to Mary Ann Pound. They had three children, viz: Charles M., born in 1865; Marion, in 1867, and an infant, deceased. Mrs. M. Swetzer died in 1867.Mr. Swetzer's s second wife was Ruth Ann Kesler, who was born in Pike township in 1837.
TAYLOR, ALEXANDER, farmer, Middlebury township, post office, Fredericktown, was born in Greene township, Ashland county, May 8, 1838, and was married April 13, 1862, to Elizabeth Heck, who was born near Holmes county, Ohio. March 30, 1836. They have six children: David W., born January 25, 1864; John R., November 26, 1866; Carrie B., March 10, 1868; James, March 19, 1870; Millie Maud E., August 8, 1872; and Eva M., born September 3, 1875.Mr. ,Taylor is a son of David Taylor, esq.., of Richland county. In 1821 he settled in Greene township, now Ashland county. They first came to Monroe township and remained there till 1844, when they moved to Worthington township. Mr. D. Taylor has been commissioner of Richland county for two terms of three years. Alexander Taylor came to Middlebury township, Knox county, Ohio, April 25, 1871, and remained there till the fall of 1880, when he sold out and moved to St. Clair county, Missouri, his post office being Lowery City, St. Clair county, Missouri. Mr. Taylor has been a worthy citizen of this county.
TEETER, GEORGE L., Brown township, was born in Pike township, Knox county, August 11, 1852, being the eldest son of John L. and Elvina Teeter.In 1854 his father. removed to a farm in Richland county, remaining there until 1864, when he sold it and purchased one in Berlin township, known as the Moltsbaugh farm, where he at present resides. George remained at home assisting his father on the farm during the summer and attending school during the winter until he was twenty-one. By the advice of his friends he adopted school teaching as his profession, teaching in the winter and working by the month during the summer, in the meantime purchasing books and reading them so as to better qualify himself for teaching, so that he is now competent to teach all branches commonly taught in common schools, and is well versed in many of the higher branches. He is well informed concerning current events, also in matters of history. In 1877 he united with the Dunkard church, of which he and his wife are still members. In the summer of 1874 he came to Brown township in the employ of Mr. Elisha Ross. On the third of January, 1878, he was united in marriage with Miss Priscilla Dewitt, daughter of Benjamin and Sarah Dewitt, and granddaughter of S. N. C. Workman, since which time he has resided in Brown township. Two children have resulted from his marriage-both daughters. The first was born May 11, 1879, and died the same day. The second daughter, Laura, was born June 28, 1880. In the spring of 1880 he purchased a small tract of land, being a portion of the Moomaw lot near Jelloway, on which he now resides. John L. Teeter, the father of George, was born in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, February 26, 1824. His parents remained in Pennsylvania until 1830, when they emigrated to Ohio and located nit the farm now owned by the Wallace family, in Pike township. On the second day of September, 1851, John L. Teeter was united in marriage with Elvina Cramer, who was born near Philadelphia, May 30, 1831, being the daughter of George L. (deceased) and Elizabeth (Henry) Cramer, late of Worthington township, Richland county. Jacob Teeter, grandfather of George, was born in Maryland in the year 1782. In 1863 he died, and his remains were interred by the side of those of his wife in the Wallace graveyard, Pike township. John Deeter, great-grandfather of George, was born in Maryland, as was also his father. The original surname of the family was Deitrich. Near the beginning of the eighteenth century a family of the last mentioned name emigrated, some say from Ireland, while others assert that they came from Switzerland, and located in the present State of Maryland. The family, if not German speaking when they came to America, became so afterward. The name Deitrich became corrupted into Deeter in some localities, Deetery in others, Teeter in some places, while a large number of the descendants of the family still retain the original name. The above mentioned facts render it extremely difficult to obtain any accurate information concerning the family.
TOMS, WILLIAM, Berlin township, miller, post office, Shaler's Mills, was born in Beaver county, Pennsylvania, in 1826. His parents emigrated to Wayne county, Ohio, when he was an infant, remained there fourteen years, and then came to Ashland county (formerly Richland). He was married in Richland county in 1853, to Elizabeth Schrack, who was born in Richland county in 1833, daughter of Charles Schrack. They had eight children, James Allen, born in 1853; John K., in 1855; William W., in 1859; Herschel O., in 1860; Sarah Ann, deceased; Lena May, born in 1865; Charles S., in 1867; and Nina Myrta, in 1871. Mr. Toms learned the milling business-with his father, and afterwards worked in the Schrack mill. He then went to Newville and purchased a farm, and has been engaged at farming eight years. In 1870 he purchased Shaler's mill, and has since been engaged in operating it. Charles Schrack, father of Mrs. Toms, was born in Pennsylvania m 1790, and married Susannah Kerstetter, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1795. They had nine children Jacob, born in 1821; George (deceased), in 1824; Margaret, in 1826; Sarah, in 1828; Phebe, in 1830; Elizabeth, in 1832; Catherine, in 1835; John (deceased), and Mary Helen in 1840. Charles Schrack died in Monroe township, Richland county, December 10, 1860. Mrs. Susannah Schrack resides with her son Jacob in Monroe township, Richland county. They came to that township and settled in 1820, and were among the early settlers and pioneers of that county.
VINCENT, S. M., Brown township, attorney, post office, Jelloway, a son of Robert and Jane Vincent, nee Miller, was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, on December 16, 1821. He accompanied his parents to Ohio in 1830, they locating on Dowdy creek, in Holmes county, where they lived about eight years. In 1838 they moved to this county and located in Howard township, remaining until 1856, when they moved to Pike county, where they passed the remainder of their days. Mrs. Vincent died in September, 1863, Mr. Robert Vincent surviving his companion until February, 1865. Mr. S. M. Vincent, the subject of this sketch, is a self-educated man. In 1847 he commenced the study of taw under the instructions of S. W. Shaw, attorney. In 1850 he was admitted to the Knox County bar, and in 1859 he was admitted to practice in the Supreme court. At present he is located at J Jelloway, Knox county, Ohio, and practices in the courts of Knox, Holmes, Ashland, and Richland counties. He is the attorney for the Home Fire Insurance company, and the Jelloway Mutual Aid Insurance company, both located at Jelloway, and does business for them in about twenty counties in the State. In 1847 he married Miss Rosanna Lybarger, born in Knox county in 1825, daughter of Jacob and Sarah Lybarger. They settled at Ashland, Ohio, and remained one year, and then returned to this county. In 1850 they moved to Jelloway, where they have since resided. They reared a family of six children: Sarah J., married B W. McKee; Victoria, married Lyman Workman; John Fremont Vincent was born February 2, 1857, and died September 9, 1880; Martha A., married John L. Hildebrand; Jessie Q. and Lincoln are at home with their parents in Jelloway.
WALLACE, DAVID, Morgan township, farmer, was born in county Armagh, Newtown- Hamilton, Ireland, September 30, 1813. His parents, David and Mary Wallace, nee Glenny, were natives of Ireland; their parents were Scotch, or the grandparents of the subject of our sketch were Scotch. His parents immigrated to the United States in 1819, with a family of three children, and settled in Burlington township, Licking county, where they subsequently purchased a farm, and lived and died there. Thev had a family of six children, five of whom are living, viz: David, Margaret, married William Wiley; Henry, Robert, of Mansfield; Mary Ann, married Burgess Helphrey; Eliza Jane, married a Mr. McFarland. The subject of this notice was reared on a farm, and received a common schooi education. In 1847 he moved to Morgan township, where he has since resided. He was married to Miss Mary Dunlap, May 5, 1847; she is a native of Muskingum county. Ohio. Her parents were of Scotch-Irish descent. They had nine children, viz: Mary E., wife of John T. McKee; Elizabeth J., Maggie I:., Sadie A., wife of James R. Boyd; Wylie D., and Loretta A. The deceased are: Anna M., Maudna .A., and William H., who died of diphtheria.Mr. Wallace is a good citizen and is esteemed by his neighbors for his kindness of heart.
WHITFORD, JAMES M., travelling salesman, Fredericktown, was born in Maryland in 1826, came to Ohio in 1844, and located in Richland county. He was married in 1855, to Margaret Rankins, who was born in Licking county in 1823. They have the following family: Rankin born in 1856; James, in 1858; Hattie, in 1860: Jefferson, in 1862; Ralph, in 1870; William H., in 1873. Mr. Whitford settled in Fredericktown in 1845. He has good business qualifications, and is one of the enterprising men of Fredericktown. He has been engaged with the firm of H. M. Weaver &; Co., of Mansfield, since 1871, and has the reputation of a successful salesman.
WILLIAMS, MILTON B., Berlin township, farmer, post office, Fredericktown, born in Wayne township, Knox county, in 1827, was married in 1851 to Elizabeth Roberts, who was born in Berlin township in 1831. They have two children - Bryant and Jesse. Mr. Williams has resided in Berlin township for forty-three years. He owns a well improved farm with all the modern improvements, and is a model farmer. Mr. Williams resided in Richland county one year, and was engaged in a saw-mill before he removed to Knox county. His father, Daniel Williams, was born in Frederick county, Maryland, in 1792, and emigrated to Ohio at the age of twenty-two years, with his parents. and first located in Fredericktown. He bought the first mill property of Mr. Cars, also a large quantity of land. He died in Knox county in 1876.
YEISLEY, WILLIAM, Middlebury township, farmer, post office, Fredericktown, born in Belleville in 1843, and was married in 1875 to Nancy Garber, who was born in Richland county. They have three children-Eddie, Milo, and an infant (deceased). Mr. Yeisley was in the late war, being a member of the One Hundred and Second regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, and continued until the close of the war. He received an honorable discharge, and since that has been engaged in farming.
<< Back to the Richland Co., Ohio Index
Saturday, November 22, 2008