Richland Co., Ohio

 

Local Newspapers


 

To submit information or a link, please contact Amy

 
 
 
 

Information on this page is NOT COMPLETE.  New facts will be added as they are found.

 

Agent's Index (Butler)
  • First issue published the week of 2/4/1893 in Butler as a monthly journal, starting with a circulation of 10,000 copies.  [source:  Richland Shield & Banner:  04 February 1893]

Bellville Dollar Weekly (Bellville)

  • First issue published on Feb. 28, 1872.  Last issue published under the name was the issue of Sept. 19, 1873 (Vol. 2, No. 29).  It continued on known as the Bellville Weekly
Bellville Independent (Bellville)
  • Purchased by George W. McBee the week of July 18, 1889
  • Friday.  A.G. Fry has sold the Bellville Independent to Prof. J.J. Houser, superintendent of the Bellville schools, who retires from the latter position and will take charge of the paper June 1st.  The Independent is a good local paper and will no doubt continue to be such under the new management.  The SHIELD wishes both Mr. Fry and Mr. House success.  [Richland Shield & Banner:  28 May 1892]

Bellville Inquirer (Bellville)

  • Started in April, 1892 by Farber & Long  [Bellville Independent:  27 April 1893]
Bellville Messenger (Bellville)
  • Had various publishers, ran between 1892 and 1917
  • Editor, James A. Price
  • Saturday.  Jas. A. Price, the hustling newspaper man at Butler, has started a new paper called the Messenger, at Bellville.  He will continue his Enterprise at Butler where the Messenger will also be printed.  Success to the new paper.  [Richland Shield & Banner:  17 December 1892]
Bellville Star (Bellville)
  • First published on Oct. 4, 1877 by E.A. Brown & Co.
  • E.L. Garber was, at another point, the publisher, ending in August, 1885 when he turned the paper over to B.O. Squier and E.A. Brown.  [Bellville Star:  13 August 1885, Vol. 8, No. 46]
Bellville Weekly (Bellville)Butler Cyclone (Butler)
  • Owner / Editor ... John L. Barr
  • Started in late Feb./early March of 1893  [Richland Shield & Banner:  04 March 1893]
  • Butler.  The Cyclone has added a new press to the office and next week the paper will be enlarged to six columns.  [Semi-Weekly News:  09 July 1897, Vol. 13, No. 55]
Butler Times  (Butler)
  • Founded in 1903 with A.B. Burkholder as the Editor and Publisher
  • In 1904, J.L. Barr joined with Burkholder as the Publishers
  • In 1905, L.B. Burkholder joined Barr and Burkholder, taking the position of Editor and Business Manager
  • In 1907, E.A. Day & Co. became the Publishers
Butler Enterprise  (Butler)
  • Founded in 1893 with J.E. Price as the proprietor and J.A. Price, Publisher
  • In 1904, C.M. Wise became the Publisher

Chicago Junction Telegraph (Chicago Junction)  [source:  Plymouth Advertiser:  02 May 1914, Vol. 61, No. 24]

  • Editor (1914) ... Glide A. Wieder.  [source:  Plymouth Advertiser:  20 June 1914, Vol. 61, No. 31]

Chicago Junction Times (Chicago Junction)

  • Editor (ca. 1893) ... E.L. Benton.  [source:  Richland Shield & Banner:  12 August 1893, Vol. LXXVI, No. 12]

Christian Statesman (Mansfield)

  • Established by Robert McCune (son-in-law of Rev. Edward Smith)
  • An Anti-Slavery paper
  • First located on the west side of Main St. (between 1st. and 2nd. Sts.), and later moved to the 2nd. story of the Herald office on E. 4th. St. behind Tawse Drug Store
Chronicle  (Shelby)
  • First published in the spring of 1867 by Mr. Young and Mr. Hill.  It continued for about 18 months, with a circulation of about 300;  then failed.  [source:  SHELBY INDEPENDENT NEWS:  03 June 1875, Vol. 7, No. 32]

Crestline Advocate (Crestline)  [source:  Richland Shield & Banner:  27 June 1891, Vol. LXXIV, No. 6]

  • Editor:  Adam Billow  [Shelby Independent News:  08 June 1876, Vol. 8, No. 33]
  • Saturday.  D.C. Billow has sold the Crestline Advocate to W.H. Iams and A.N. Gresmer who have been employees in that office for some time.  Mr. Billow was compelled to retire because of his ill health.  [Richland Shield & Banner:  17 December 1892]

Crestline Vidette  (Crestline)

  • In operation circa March, 1892  [Richland Shield & Banner:  05 March 1892]
  • Circa 1889, Isaac N. Richardson (died in November, 1892) purchased the paper from Holbrook & Co.   [Richland Shield & Banner:  05 November 1892] and [Richland Shield & Banner:  12 November 1892]
  • Editor = Isaac N. Richardson  [Richland Shield & Banner:  05 November 1892]
Daily Shield  (Mansfield)
  • Purchased in January, 1883 for $12,000 by Hon. C.N. Gaumer
  • Eventually sold to The Shield Publishing Co., who in turn sold it about 3 years later to The News Printing Co.
  • Extracts Available On-line ...

Enterprise  (Shelby)

  • Started in 1862 by Mr. Kenton.  Survived for only approximately one year.  [source:  SHELBY INDEPENDENT NEWS:  03 June 1875, Vol. 7, No. 32]
Express  (Shelby)
  • Formerly known as the Enterprise, but was purchased by S.S. Bloom and Mr. Baltzley in the spring of 1863, but the two had a political difference of opinion - so the partnership was dissolved before ever issuing a paper.  [source:  SHELBY INDEPENDENT NEWS:  03 June 1875, Vol. 7, No. 32]
  • The paper continued under S.S. Bloom for about one year.  [source:  SHELBY INDEPENDENT NEWS:  03 June 1875, Vol. 7, No. 32]

Farmer's Herald (Butler)

  • First published in June, 1885  [Bellville Star: 11 June 1885, Vol. 8, No. 37]
Gazette  (Shelby)
  • About 1869 Mr. T.H. Barkdull commenced the publication of the Gazette, in direct competition with the Independent News.  It continued for nearly four years - before succumbing to the Independent News and ceasing operations.  [source:  SHELBY INDEPENDENT NEWS:  03 June 1875, Vol. 7, No. 32]
Gazette  (Shelby)
  • (owned by Glover & Bloom)
  • In the spring of 1864, W. Glover and Bloom began issuing semi-occasionally a paper called the Gazette, which continued until the spring of 1867.  [source:  SHELBY INDEPENDENT NEWS:  03 June 1875, Vol. 7, No. 32]
Gleaner / Shiloh Gleaner (Shiloh)
  • Consolidated with the Review in June of 1890, having been purchased by the Review.  [source:  THE MANSFIELD HERALD:  12 June 1890, Vol. 40, No. 30]
  • Editor (before 1893) ... E.L. Benton.  [source:  Richland Shield & Banner:  12 August 1893, Vol. LXXVI, No. 12]
Independence Enterprise (Independence - later known as Butler)
  • Started in July of 1878, and ended on 18 July 1878 - only ten days.  [Ohio Liberal:  24 July 1878]

Independence Star (Independence - later known as Butler)

Independent News  (Shelby)

  • S.S. Bloom purchased the press from the Chronicle owners, and began the Independent News on October 12th., 1868.  It's circulation the first year reached nearly 600.  [source:  SHELBY INDEPENDENT NEWS:  03 June 1875, Vol. 7, No. 32]
  • Had a circulation of nearly 1,000 by the spring of 1875.  [source:  SHELBY INDEPENDENT NEWS:  03 June 1875, Vol. 7, No. 32]
  • Drawing of office
Independent Star (Bellville)

Journal (Plymouth)

  • Started in 1851, later became the Advertiser  [Bellville Messenger:  16 October 1903, Vol. 11, No. 41]
Mansfield Call  (Mansfield)
  • Published by Baughman & Co.
Mansfield Courier (Mansfield)
  • German paper
  • Established in 1872 by August Selback [Shelback], who passed it on to John B. Netscher
  • Netscher sold the plant in January, 1874 to Killian & Kuebler
  • Killian died within a year or two, and his interest was sold to Albert Wolfe
  • In April, 1895, Fred J. Kallmerten, who had been in partnership with L.S. Kuebler ... was selling his interest and then planning to retire.  [source:  Richland Shield & Banner:  06 April 1895, Vol. LXXVII, No. 47]
  • Kuebler bought out Wolfe, and became the sole proprietor
  • Eventually operated by Mr. Hegnauer, Mr. Arras and Mr. Pearl
  • Photograph
  • Saturday.  Dr. F.J. Kallmerten, one of the editors of the Mansfield Courier, who, with his wife, has been visiting in Germany during the summer, writes the SHIELD the following letter:  "Crefield, A.R., July 18, '92.  Dear Sir:  You will please discontinue sending the SHIELD upon receipt of this as we shall sail from Bremen for Baltimore on August 11th. (Lloyd Steamer Dresden).  Last Saturday my wife and I visited the Wartburg, Luther's retreat.  I was in the very room in which he translated the Bible, and the table at which he worked and the bedstead used by him are still to be seen, besides specimens of his handwriting, &c., &c.  It was in this room where he threw the inkstand at the devil, who disturbed him at his work.  No doubt you, too, Mr. Editor, have more than once been tempted to throw ink at the "devil" when being interrupted by him at your work.  'Rah for Cleveland!!!  Yours, &c.  -- F.J. Kallmerten.  [Richland Shield & Banner:  06 August 1892]
Mansfield Daily Banner (Mansfield)
  • Existed for about two weeks in 1883  [source:  Hayesville Journal:  17 May 1883, Vol. 8, No. 47]
Mansfield Daily News (Mansfield)
  • Established in 1865 by Hon. William Cappeller
  • Merged with The Liberal
  • Upon the death of Cappeller, the paper was owned by the Jenkins Estate and Messrs. Hoile of Lorain
  • Photograph of Building
  • Sketch of Bldg.
  • M.N. Mix, City Editor 1886-1890  [Mansfield News:  13 May 1899]  *Mr. Mix went on to become the city Editor of the New York Press.  [Mansfield News:  13 May 1899]
  • Began publishing a full page of Shelby news items in mid-June, 1899 in a cooperative effort between the Shelby paper and the Mansfield News.  An office was established at the Brunswick Billiard Parlors in the Brickley Block on West Main Street in Mansfield, where items of news, advertisements, etc., could be handled.  [Mansfield News:  20 June 1899]
  • In mid-1897 the paper established a branch office in Shelby in the Sutter-Haggins block.  [Semi-Weekly News:  15 October 1897, Vol. 13, No. 83]
  • Some employees
  • In July, 1922, George J. Kochenderfer was advanced to the position of managing editor.
  • Select years available on-line as part of the Ancestry.com Historical Newspapers subscription (requires subscription):  1901-1902, 1910-1912, 1915-1928, 1932-1934 and 1939.  (external link)
Mansfield Sunday Democrat / fka:  The Sunday Morning Call   (Mansfield)
  • Started in May, 1888 by A.J. Baughman  [Richland Shield & Banner:  19 May 1888, Vol. LXX, No. 52]
  • Existed for several years
Mansfield Flag / The Mansfield Daily Flag / The Prohibition Flag (Mansfield) 
  • First published in October, 1874   [Shelby Independent News:  15 October 1874, Vol. 6, No. 51]
  • First issue of the Mansfield DAILY Flag was Dec. 31, 1879  [Mansfield Daily Flag:  31 December 1874, Vol. 5, No. 26]
  • Editors were Mr. & Mrs. Robert J. Lockhart
Mansfield Gazette (Mansfield)
  • Established August, 1822 by James Purdy and J.H. Purdy.
  • The pair purchased the printing effects from Robert Crosswaithe, which had been used to produce The Olive.  [source:  Mansfield Weekly News:  01 September 1887, Vol. 3, No. 40]
  • Succeeded the Harbinger 
  • Was a Whig and Anti-Masonic paper [source:  Mansfield Weekly News:  01 September 1887, Vol. 3, No. 40]
  • Ended about 1832. [source:  The Mansfield Savings Trust National Bank Almanac, 1939, pp. 42-48]
Mansfield Herald / fka:  The Richland Jeffersonian  (Mansfield)
  • Established in 1818 by Mathias Day Jr. and E.W. Smith
  • Mr. Smith sold his interest in the paper to Mr. Day
  • In 1855, the paper was purchased by Gen. Roeliff Brinkerhoff, James G. Robinson and David Locke (of Plymouth)
  • In 1859, Brinkerhoff, Robinson and Locke sold out to the Myers Brothers, who continued the paper for another 15 years and then sold out to George U. Harn & brother.  They continued the paper for an additional 10 years.
  • In 1889, the Managing Editor was George U. Harn and the Associate Editor was W.F. Harn.
Mansfield News Journal   (Mansfield)
  • Established in ---- by a merger of The Mansfield Journal and The Mansfield News
  • Owned by the Horvitz family in 1932 until 1987 when it was sold to Ingersol
  • Established in 1930
  • In 1990 it was sold to Thomson
  • In 2000 it was sold to Gannett
  • Select years available on-line as part of the Ancestry.com Historical Newspapers subscription (requires subscription):  1934-1942 and 1946-1960.  (external link)
  • Information about the paper (external link)
  • Newspaper website (external link)
Morning Call  (Mansfield)
  • Established in August, 1895 by Charles Grant Miller
  • Existed for only a few months
Morning Pennant  (Mansfield)
  • Established in 1844 by J. Wiley & J.L. Tidball
  • Existed for about 6 months
Mansfield Post  (Mansfield)
  • Started November, 1884 by Albert Wolf   [source:  Mansfield Democrat:  22 November 1884]
  • German paper
Mohican Advocate and Hanover Journal (Loudonville)
  • Begun in October, 1834 (part of Richland Co. at that time)  [History of Ashland County (1909)]
  • Published by Mr. Rogers  [History of Ashland County (1909)]

Ohio Liberal (Mansfield)

  • Established in 1873 by Gen. Roeliff Brinkerhoff
  • Sold to Henry Foulk in 1877, who continued publishing the paper with his brother for about 8-10 years and then sold it to Hon. William S. Capeller who consolidated it with The Mansfield News
  • In April, 1875, Charles Chadwick gave up his editorship of the paper, selling his interest to go into other business.  Mr. George Holm retained his interest in the paper.  [Richland Shield & Banner:  10 April 1875]
  • A Democrat-leaning paper  [Ohio Liberal:  26 June 1878]
Ohio Shield / fka:  The Ohio Spectator (Mansfield)
  • Established in 1836 by John Meredith and John Warnock
  • Became a Democratic paper
Ohio Spectator  (Mansfield)
  • Merger of both The Mansfield Gazette and The Western Herald
  • Established in 1832 by Thomas W. Bartley, Dr. J. Rentzel and J.C. Gilkinson
  • Henry Layman and J.H. Hofman were also involved in the early publication of this paper [source:  The Mansfield Savings Trust National Bank Almanac, 1939, pp. 42-48]
  • Another source lists The Sentinel as one of the papers that were merged to become the Ohio Spectator  [source:  The Mansfield Savings Trust National Bank Almanac, 1939, pp. 42-48]
  • Sold to Henry Seymour
  • Then sold to J.H. Hoffman and Rentzel
  • Published only one volume, then failed
  • Sold to John Meredith and John Warnock, when it became The Ohio Shield / Shield & Banner.

Olive (Mansfield) 

  • Some sources list it as the first newspaper in Mansfield
  • Established:  1818 by John C. Gilkinson
  • Existed for about one year
  • Owned by John Fleming, about a year later he was bought out by Robert Crosswaithe  [source:  Mansfield Weekly News:  01 September 1887, Vol. 3, No. 40]
  • Mr. Crosswaithe operated the paper for about a year, and then the paper failed.  [source:  Mansfield Weekly News:  01 September 1887, Vol. 3, No. 40]

Ontario Tribune (Ontario)

Pioneer (Shelby)
  • First newspaper published in Shelby;  Edited and issued in 1858 by Charles R. Brown  [source:  SHELBY INDEPENDENT NEWS:  03 June 1875, Vol. 7, No. 32]
  • "... lived out its promised year of twelve numbers."  [Shelby Independent News:  06 July 1876, Vol. 8, No. 37]

Plymouth Advertiser  (Plymouth)

  • First edition was published on 22 October 1853
  • Editor (April 1915):  George W. Reed.  [source:  Plymouth Advertiser:  03 April 1915, Vol. 62, No. 19]
  • Editor & Proprietor:  J.F. Beelman (circa 1893)  Later accepted a position with the (Cincinnati, OH) Lutheran World Company.  [Richland Shield & Banner:  04 March 1893]

Rainbow & Repository (Bellville)

Richland Bugle and Independent Press (Mansfield)
  • Established in 1844 by William Johnston
  • Whig campaign paper

Richland Citizen's Union (Mansfield)

  • Started circa 1887 as a monthly paper devoted to the interests of Richland County's business men, published by the Union Collection Agency of Richland County - with a free circulation of over 3,000 copies  [source:  Mansfield Weekly News:  10 November 1887, Vol. 3, No. 52]

Richland County Leader (Bellville)

  • Announcement made in the newspaper (27 January 1922, Vol. 3, No. 7) that the newspaper was going to be moving to Mansfield and taken over by a new company.  They moved the machinery to Mansfield between March 3, 1922 and March 17, 1922.  There was no issue March 10, 1922 during this move.
  • George F. Gilbert served as Editor of the paper for two years, ending his service in March of 1922.  He left the county to begin a newspaper in Belmont Co., called the "St. Clairsville Gazette" with Albert R. Bingham.  Herbert C. Ditwiler succeeded him.

Richland Democrat (Mansfield) - aka:  Richland County Democrat

  • Published from 1857 to 1859 by L.C. Kelly & Co.  [source:  The Mansfield Savings Trust National Bank Almanac, 1939, pp. 42-48]
  • "This paper, which was commenced about a year ago, under the editorial management of Joel Myers, Esq., has been discontinued, and the materials and good-will of the establishment have been sold to Mr. Glessner, of the Shield & Banner.  This, we should think, a very judicious arrangement, both pecuniarially and politically.  There are too many papers in Ohio.   [Daily Sanduskian:  24 April 1851]
  • Published for two or three years, commencing in 1848, by Joel Myers and Jacob Reisinger.  [source:  The Mansfield Savings Trust National Bank Almanac, 1939, pp. 42-48]
Richland Jeffersonian  (Mansfield)
  • Established in 1883 by Moraine [Marion] & Devine
  • Another source lists the paper has having been published by J.C. Gilkinson & Son about the year 1840. [source:  The Mansfield Savings Trust National Bank Almanac, 1939, pp. 42-48]
  • Whig paper  [source:  Mansfield Weekly News:  01 September 1887, Vol. 3, No. 40]
  • Existed for about one year and then sold to Mathias Day, Jr. and E.W. Smith

Richland Star (Bellville)

  • Started by the Garber Brothers in their home in 1875, moved to Bellville in 1877.
Richland Whig  (Mansfield)
  • Established in 1832 by John and Charles Boreland / Borland
  • Existed for about one year
  • Another source says it lasted for about two years.  [source:  Mansfield Weekly News:  01 September 1887, Vol. 3, No. 40]

Semi-Weekly News (Mansfield)

  • Established 07 March 1885, a year later, 07 March 1886 they purchased the Ohio Liberal.  [source:  Semi-Weekly News:  04 January 1898, Vol. 14, No. 1]
  • Price of the Daily was reduced to ten cents per week on 26 October 1886.  [source:  Semi-Weekly News:  04 January 1898, Vol. 14, No. 1]
  • The Daily was increased to a 8-column folio on 29 May 1890.  [source:  Semi-Weekly News:  04 January 1898, Vol. 14, No. 1]
  • Moved offices to its own building on 09 February 1891.  [source:  Semi-Weekly News:  04 January 1898, Vol. 14, No. 1]
  • On 01 March 1891, the price of the Weekly was reduced to $1 per year.  [source:  Semi-Weekly News:  04 January 1898, Vol. 14, No. 1]
  • Daily was increased to a 9-column folio on 18 April 1891.  [source:  Semi-Weekly News:  04 January 1898, Vol. 14, No. 1]
  • On 02 January 1891, the Daily as increased to a 7-columns, six pages, printed on a Web Perfecting Press.  [source:  Semi-Weekly News:  04 January 1898, Vol. 14, No. 1]
  • Typesetting machines were placed in operation in the composing room on 01 July 1894.  [source:  Semi-Weekly News:  04 January 1898, Vol. 14, No. 1]
  • As of January, 1898 -- W.S. Cappeller and E.S. Hiestand were the editors of the paper.  [source:  Semi-Weekly News:  04 January 1898, Vol. 14, No. 1]
Sentinel  (Mansfield)
  • Published by Josiah F. Reed fro 1829 to 1832, when it and the Gazette were merged into the Ohio Spectator.  [source:  The Mansfield Savings Trust National Bank Almanac, 1939, pp. 42-48]
Shelby Citizen  (Shelby)
  • Purchased by John Love in the fall of 1914.  [source:  Plymouth Advertiser:  03 October 1914, Vol. 61, No. 46 - reprinted from the Mansfield News]
Shelby Free Press  (Shelby)
  • Max. Dickerson, formerly of the Shelby News, is now publishing a new paper in East Shelby, called the Free Press.  [Bellville Star:  27 April 1882, Vol. 5, No. 30]

Shelby News (Shelby)

  • S.S. Bloom disposed of the paper, and it will hereafter be known as the Shelby News, conducted by Editor Pettit.  [Mansfield Herald:  04 April 1889]

Shelby Republican / Richland Republican  (Shelby) [mentioned in the PLYMOUTH ADVERTISER:  15 May 1897, Vol. XLIV, No. 31]

  • Newspaper revived in 1895.  [source:  Richland Shield & Banner:  06 April 1895, Vol. LXXVII, No. 47]
  • Editor, 1898 -- Henry E. Sheets  [source:  Semi-Weekly News (Mansfield):  14 June 1898, Vol. 14, No. 50]
Shelby Times (Shelby)   [Ohio Liberal:  18 July 1877]

Shield & Banner / fka:  The Ohio Shield   (Mansfield)

  • Established between 1836-1841 by John Meredith after his partner's retirement, under the firm name of Meredith & Maxwell
  • Sold in 1841 to John Y. Glessner who retains control until his death in 18?2.  
  • John Y. Glessner Jr. retired from the paper in April of 1883 [source:  Hayesville Journal (Hayesville, Ashland Co., Ohio):  12 April 1883, Vol. 8, No. 42]
  • Paper then sold to Hon. C.N. Gaumer, who expanded the paper, who left the paper in July of 1896.  [source:  Richland Shield & Banner:  25 July 1896, Vol. LXXIX, No. 11]
  • Eventually sold to The Shield Publishing Co., who in turn sold it about 3 years later to The News Printing Co.
  • Office destroyed during a fire which occurred on December 14th., 1871.  The fire destroyed all of the bound files of the paper, which contained thirty years' worth of newspapers.  Two lives were lost in the fire:  Miss Mathias and John Cline Jr. while Henry Southerland was injured.  The Hedges Law Office was also destroyed in this fire.  [Source:  SHELBY INDEPENDENT NEWS:  21 December 1871, Vol. 4, No. 8]
  • Charles L. Slough, who served as bookkeeper and asst. business manager severed his connection to the paper in October, 1893, wit W.G. Hoffer taking over in his place.  [source:  Richland Shield & Banner:  07 October 1893, Vol. LXXVI, No. 20]
  • Article regarding the history of the Richland Shield & Banner can be found in that paper, in the issue dated 28 March 1896, Vol. LXXVIII, No. 46.
  • Went from being published only once a week, to being published twice a week in December of 1896.
  • Circa 1867, the paper was usually four pages of eight columns each.   [Richland Shield & Banner:  05 December 1891]
Shiloh Broadcaster
  • Edward M. Williams, Publisher & Editor
  • William J. Boldt, Assistant Editor

Shiloh Gleaner-Review (Shiloh)  [Richland Shield & Banner:  15 October 1892]

Shiloh Review (Shiloh)

  • Started in 1872, under the name of the Shiloh Times by Barkdull & Roberts, changed to the name of the REVIEW.  At the same time the paper went to a five-column paper - charging $1.50 for a year's subscription.  [partial source:  SHELBY INDEPENDENT NEWS:  22 April 1875, Vol. 7, No. 26]
  • "W.M. Pettit has retired from the Shiloh Review and H.A. Frazier is now proprietor and editor.  Mr. Pettit has moved to Prospect, Ohio."   [Richland Shield & Banner:  17 May 1890, Vol. LXXII, No. 52]
  • Consolidated with the Gleaner in June of 1890, after purchasing the Gleaner.  [source:  THE MANSFIELD HERALD:  12 June 1890, Vol. 40, No. 30]
  • Sunday.  E.L. Benton has sold the Shiloh Gleaner-Review to his assistant, J.J. Pittenger and the latter takes charge next week.  Both parties have the SHIELD'S best wishes.   [Richland Shield & Banner:  08 October 1892]
Shiloh Times (Shiloh)
  • First published in August, 1871 with F.M. Roberts as Editor
  • " ... purchased by the Shiloh Printing Company, who have a press of their own ..."  [Shelby Independent News:  29 February 1872, Vol. 4, No. 18]
  • "The Shiloh Times has passed into the hands of Mr. Geo. W. Allen, recently of Tiffin, who, we learn, is a practical printer, and will hereafter edit and publish the same."  [Shelby Independent News:  23 October 1873, Vol. 5, No. 52]
  • George Matteson took charge of the paper in April, 1873 [source:  BELLVILLE DOLLAR WEEKLY:  11 April 1873, Vol. 2, No. 6]
  • Later became known as the Shiloh Review
Sunday Morning Call (Mansfield)
  • Established in June, 1876 by A.J. Baughman and Miss Sade Baughman, his sister
  • 1st. Sunday paper
  • 7-column folio
  • Existed for about 8 years, then the name changed to The Mansfield Democrat
Town Talk  (Mansfield)
  • First published September 7, 1884 by Baughman & Co.

Weekly Independent (Bellville)

Western Branch Book Concern (Mansfield)
  • Established in 1852 by Rev. Edward Smith
Western Harbinger (Mansfield)
  • Published by J.C. Gilkison and John Fleming, about the year 1817.  [source:  The Mansfield Savings Trust National Bank Almanac, 1939, pp. 42-48]

Western Herald  (Mansfield)

  • Established in 1830 by Josiah L. Reed
  • Democratic paper
  • Existed for about one or two years
Worthington Enterprise  (Butler)
  • Founded in 1888 with James Edward "J.E." Price as the proprietor and J.A. Price, Publisher
  • "Thursday.  The Worthington Enterprise has changed its name to the Butler Enterprise, in order to conform to the new name of the town in which it is published.  The paper is also enlarged to eight pages."  [Richland Shield & Banner:  05 December 1891]


General historical Info. about the local press:



<< Back to the Richland Co., Ohio Index

Wednesday, March 13, 2013