Historical Collections of Ohio
Henry Howe, LL.D.
City Officers, 1888: Mayor, H.F. Paden; Clerk, Chas. H. Eaton; Treasurer, E.D. Harkness; Marshall, John C. Letson; Chief Fire Department, N.T. Wilder. Newspapers: Enterprise, Independent, B.F. Jackson & Co., editors and publishers; Farmer's Reporter, Neutral Reporter Co., editors and publishers. Churches: 1 Baptist, 1 Episcopal, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, 1 Universal, 1 Catholic, 1 United Brethren and 1 Advent. Banks; Farmers' and Traders', S.M. Terry, cashier; Peoples Banking Co., C.G. Sanford, president, John C. Bolinger, cashier. Population 1880, 2,380. School census 1888, 760; Frank M. Ginn, Superintendent of schools.
Clyde is a wholesome, cleanly appearing town. It has an enduring memory in having given to the Nation, in the person of Jas. B. McPherson, a great soldier and the best type of a gentleman. The sites of the log house in which he was born and the blacksmith shop where his father labored are both within the cemetery where today stands his monument, and rests his mortal remains.
Clyde also was the birth place of James Albert Wales, caricaturist. He was born there in 1852, died in 1886, and lies buried in the McPherson cemetery. He was a highly valued artist. On the occasion of his funeral A.B. French, an old resident of Clyde, delivered a touching eulogy upon his boyhood, and Rev. O. Badgley preached the funeral sermon. "Appleton's Cyclopedia of American Biography" says of him: "He learned wood-engraving in Toledo and Cincinnati, thence going to Cleveland, drew cartoons for the "Leader" during the Presidential canvas of 1872. Later he went to New York and engaged to illustrate "Puck". He eventually became one of the founders of "The Judge", and was for some time its chief cartoonist. Wales was the only caricaturist of the newer school who was a native American. He was also clever at portraiture and his cartoons excellent."
Woodville is fourteen miles northwest of Fremont on the Portage River and on the N.W.O.R.R. It was laid out in 1838 by Hon. A.E. Wood on what was known on the Western Reserve and Maumee turnpike, being on the great travelled route between Cleveland to Toledo. School census 1888, 232
Gibsonburg is eleven miles northwest of Fremont on the N.W.O.R.R. Population 1880, 589. School census 1888, 217; J.L. Hart, Superintendent of schools
Lindsey is seven miles northwest of Fremont on the L.S.& M.S.R.R. Population 1880, 409. School census 1888, 152.
Townsend is five miles northeast of Clyde, on the I.B. & W. R.R. Census 1890, 1,358.