Photo by Joe Irvin, Smithville Community Historical Society
The Mishler Weaving Mill
The children who came to this country with their parents were Frederick Alfred Mishler, John B. Mishler and Lena Mishler. Later in Ohio were born Linda, Elizabeth, Margaret, Eliza, Daniel, and Ernest.When the family landed in New York, they had a small trunk which contained their clothing and personal belongings, the sum of $5.00 and train tickets to Dalton, Ohio. The Mishlers were sponsored by the Mathias Gerber family who lived around Dalton, Ohio.
The family first lived in a small log cabin, located south of Orrville, Ohio on the road going to Dalton. John C. then moved his family to Smithville, Ohio. Here, he established a business weaving rag rugs on a hand loom for local residents. Click here to see the loom.
The business was the start of a more extensive weaving operation involving large power-driven looms. The power was supplied by steam from a coal-fired boiler. Later, kerosene was used and then electicity around 1915-16. Dish cloths, washcloths, bathtowels, and cheese cloth were produced.
In 1930 son Daniel purchased the business and moved it down the street, building and all, to its present location.
It is now owned and operated by the Smithville Community Historical Society . You can see it in operation there now, with historical society volunteers running the various looms.
Please come visit!!
East Main Street, Smithville, Ohio 44677
©2008 - 2010, Smithville Community Historical Society, OH, USA
Including Text, Graphics, and Photographs
All Rights Reserved